1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How Bout' Them Cougars!!!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by rrj_gamz, Oct 12, 2003.

1. The Summit

The Summit Contributing Member

U.H. is starting to get some recognition, the home game against Memphis this week just got picked up by ESPN Gameplan, and next weeks game against TCU will be televised too.

2. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Too bad basketball season starts in a few weeks. :D

3. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

0-4 GO ROX!!!

4. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

I agree...I want C-USA to get recognition, but TCU & N.Illinios have't played anyone...I'm glad UofH is being televised...I'm planning on going this weekend and to TCU as that'll be a great game...

Go Coogs!!!

5. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

They beat a #15 Maryland. Sure, they aren't ranked now, but they were when they beat them.

6. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Northern Illinois is a very good team. They won AT Alabama, they beat Maryland, and they beat Iowa State.

Alabama took Arkansas to overtime, something UT couldn't do. Iowa State played Oklahoma closer that UT was able to.

#66 El_Conquistador, Oct 14, 2003
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2003
  7. Ty_Webb

Ty_Webb Member

Northern Ill has beaten previously ranked, Maryland, and Alabama At Alabama... TCU's schedule is weak, but blame that on the BCS. Other schools are afraid to schedule them.

As for UH competing with the big boys, while they were in the SWC they went to as many Cotton Bowls as UT, and more than Tech and TCU, Rice, Baylor combined. Only the Ags went more from 76 to the 94. Which is one of the reasons Baylor is in the Big 12 now.

Then came the triad of coaches, Jenkins, Kim and Dana. Darn near drove that program out of business. If there is anyone who can bring them back, it is former Cougar Football player Art Briles.

btw, UH has been playing games on campus since 96, the tailgating is outstanding.

If you are looking for something to do Saturday afternoon/evening, I highly suggest checking out the Coogs. Briles runs an offense like nothing you have ever seen, it is highly entertaining. They run some run and shoot, some 5 WR’s no back, some Veer, some wishbone, some no huddle….. it really is really something to see.

8. Maynard

Maynard Member

hey im not saying NIU isnt a good team

just they aren't one of the top 25 best college football teams

let them play a full SEC or BigXII schedule and see how'd they do

if there was say a 16 team playoff for the MNC, and NIU finished undefeated, I would let them in as #16 seed, but they wouldn't get very far

9. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Combined records for teams UH has beaten: 6-24

Combined records for teams TCU has beaten: 12-25

10. underoverup

underoverup Member

U of H vs. Texas in the Alamo bowl (Could that happen?) -- Go Coogs! :D

11. Maynard

Maynard Member

12. The Summit

That is just that particular sites opinion, its not concrete. There is no way to tell who is right, here are some others that say different:

#49 in the country #75 toughest schedule
    http://www.collegefootballpoll.com/current_congrove_rankings.html
    #66 in the country, #103 toughest schedule
    http://www.sportsline.com/collegefootball/polls/117/index2

13. Ty_Webb

Ty_Webb Member

who are the 25 teams better than NIU, thus far this year?

14. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

Great info on Coogs on C-USA Website...

COACHING DEBUTS
    Two of the most successful first-year coaches hail from Conference USA. Through games of October 11, Houston's ART BRILES and Louisville's BOBBY PETRINO trail only former U of L coach John L. Smith for the best record among coaches in their first season at a school. Here's a look at how coaches in their first season at a school in 2003 are faring:

Coach, School W-L
    John L. Smith, Michigan State 6-1
    Art Briles, Houston 5-1
    Bobby Petrino, Louisville 5-1
    Bill Doba, Washington State 5-1
    Mike Riley, Oregon State 5-1
    Gregg Brandon, Bowling Green 5-1
    Urban Meyer, Utah 5-1
    Karl Dorrell, UCLA 4-2
    Keith Gilbertson, Washington 3-3
    Steve Kragthorpe, Tulsa 3-3
    Guy Morriss, Baylor 3-3
    Brady Hoke, Ball State 3-3
    Dennis Franchione, Texas A&M 3-3
    Mike Shula, Alabama 3-4
    Rich Brooks, Kentucky 2-4
    Joe Glenn, Wyoming 2-4
    Mike Hankowitz, Arizona 0-2
    Charlie Weatherbie, UL Monroe 1-6
    John Thompson, East Carolina 0-6

RED HOT COOGS
    Under first-year coach ART BRILES, 5-1 Houston has already matched its entire victory total from last season. The Cougars are receiving votes in this week's polls, marking the first time since the 1991 season (when UH was a preseason No. 1) that Houston is receiving national ranking consideration.

GREAT DEBUT
    Houston true freshman QB KEVIN KOLB is one of 14 Division I-A freshman quarterbacks that have started a game this season. Among the five that have started all season long, he leads most statistical categories.

FRESHMAN STARTING QB PASSING MARKS

Wins As A Starter
    5 Kevin Kolb, Houston (5-1)*
    4 Reggie Ball, Georgia Tech (4-3)*
    Pass Attempts
    196 Reggie Ball, Georgia Tech*
    167 Kevin Kolb, Houston*
    147 Mike Schneider, Duke
    Pass Completions
    102 Kevin Kolb, Houston*
    101 Reggie Ball, Georgia Tech*
    Passing Yards
    1,348 Kevin Kolb, Houston*
    1,276 Reggie Ball, Georgia Tech*
    Touchdown Passes
    12 Kevin Kolb, Houston*
    6 Reggie Ball, Georgia Tech
    6 Chris Leak, Florida*
    Fewest Interceptions Thrown
    2 Kevin Kolb, Houston*
    3 three tied with
    Total Offense
    1,448 Reggie Ball, Georgia Tech*
    1,436 Kevin Kolb, Houston*
    1,199 Austin Flynn, Iowa State
    TDs Responsible For
    14 Kevin Kolb, Houston*
    8 Reggie Ball, Georgia Tech

*- denotes true freshman
    C-USA

15. The Summit

Here is a good article on the Coogs from todays Chronicle.

Can-do attitude a credit to Briles
    By FRAN BLINEBURY
    Copyright 2003 Houston Chronicle
    THE players always know.

Before it shows up on the scoreboard. Before it shows up in the standings. Before it shows up in the headlines.

The Dallas Cowboys were aware almost in the first moment Bill Parcells set foot inside the organization.

For the Houston Cougars, it was just as palpable with Art Briles.

The difference.

There are coaches and there are coaches.

Then there are the leaders. The ones who turn a capsizing ship right side up and get it sailing again. The ones who can put trust and confidence back into the most sagging of spirits. The ones who can make you believe again.

The winners.

The Cougars suddenly are winning again because they have a freshman quarterback in Kevin Kolb who has performed beyond his years. They are winning again because they have a running back in Anthony Evans who can make things happen. They are winning again because of an opportunistic defense that is making a statement.

But really, they are winning again because of him.

His belief. His commitment. His attitude.

"I don't want to talk about building something and trying to win in 2005 or 2006," Briles said. "That's not fair to the seniors who are here now."

So the Cougars are 5-1, off to their fastest start in 13 seasons. And the feeling is it can only get better.

From the end of John Jenkins to Kim Helton to Dana Dimel, the Cougars foundered. Now they're back. Not back yet to where he wants them to be.

"We're on a journey," Briles said. "We're on a path, trying to make the right turns at the right time. To me, we haven't gotten to where we can sit down yet. We're still standing and waiting for somebody to give us a chair.

"We're walking across a bridge and nobody has held up a sign and told us to stop yet. Our engines are running, but our wheels haven't left the ground yet."

He talks like that, full of down-home sayings that are supposed to deflect the credit for what he has accomplished and keep his team focused on the next game.

But his players know why everything seems different.

"Coach Briles has given us a whole new pride and spirit," said Evans, who gained 103 yards and scored two touchdowns in a 45-42 win over Tulane on Saturday. "Now we can walk around campus with our chins up a little higher and our chests stuck out.

"It's not about talk. It's about the way he came in here and just changed the whole philosophy of the team. We always wanted to win. He stepped right in and showed us how."

Like Parcells with the Cowboys, Briles had a track record of success. He's confident in what works. From the hands-on approach by the entire coaching staff in the weight room to the bar of expectations that has been raised.

"I don't know if you can compare me to Bill Parcells," he said. "It's flattering, but I don't think I've skinned as many hides.

"It's not about asking these kids to do anything I don't think they're capable of doing. It's about convincing them how capable they are."

It is about more than those fancy X's and O's they drew on the blackboard in running his program at Stephenville High and as an assistant at Texas Tech, the ones that have the Cougars' offense humming again.

It is about having core beliefs in not just the game, but in life.

"If I take a lazy step in life, that's my fault," Briles said.

So he won't let them, and it is that direct, forthright manner that has convinced everyone from legendary former coach Bill Yeoman all the way down to a true freshman linebacker that he is the one who can bring about a return to glory.

"I didn't know anything about the school when they first came to recruit me," said Wade Koehl, who played last year for the first Midland High team to reach the state playoffs since 1951. "My dad had to enlighten me about the old days in the SWC.

"But it was coach Briles that I was sold on. He told me he wanted me to be a part of another program that could turn it around. He thought I could help bring that kind of attitude here. He said it could be done. He said we didn't have to wait.

"I don't mean to be indelicate, but there's a swagger that's apparent. You can tell when a coach is just talking and when he's got the goods. This all started in our summer camp. It wasn't a case of us trying to surprise anybody or perform a miracle. We were here to win. It's expected. We can."

Because he can.

The players always know.

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/2157918

16. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

17. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

Memphis pretty much came in and jail raped the Cougars last night. Not pretty.

18. TheHorns

TheHorns Member

The upside to gimmick offenses and no defense is Texas Tech. It will win you some games including a big one or two, and it can be successful and even last for a few years (as was the case in the early 90's at UH and the Oilers).

Once teams have had an opportunity to see it a few times, they are able to devise a schemes to slow down or stop them.

19. PhiSlammaJamma

The one difference tho is that supposedly this offense is the ultimate in balance. I guess it uses everything from the Veer to the run and shoot. Honestly, I haven't seen it yet to know. But according the chronicle that's what they are doing. If you use a little bit of everything nobody could possibly prepare for you. Except for Ditka :)

20. Refman

Refman Contributing Member

They can only beat the teams that are put in front of them. If TCU goes undefeated, regardless of who they play, they are one of the top 25 teams in the nation.