1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live, including SGA and the Thunder taking on the New Orleans Pelicans

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

How Bout' Them Cougars!!!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by rrj_gamz, Oct 12, 2003.

1. Maynard

Maynard Member

SMU recieved the "death penalty" from the NCAA in the late 80's

meaning their football program was completely suspended for a number of years...

no team, no recruits, no practice, nothing

that pretty much destroyed SMU football

2. The Summit

The Summit Contributing Member

Houston moved football back on campus in 1999 to Robertson Stadium. They renovated the stadium that same year and now it holds 33,000. Major expansion projects are planned, an upper deck on each side of the stadium and a new football complex.

http://uhcougars.ocsn.com/index-main.html

3. Maynard

Maynard Member

TCU might have the best record but look at who they have played

at Tulane
    Navy
    Vanderbilt
    at Arizona (which normally might look good but UA is horrible)
    Army
    at South Florida

games remaining

UAB
    at Houston
    Louisville
    Cinci
    at S.Miss
    at SMU

not exactly a tough schedule

in fact it is #118 ranked strength of schedule

4. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I'm pretty sure that doesn't change the fact that they have the best record in Texas.

5. Maynard

Maynard Member

i didnt say it did

6. The Summit

It says here they have the #79 ranked schedule:
    http://www.collegefootballpoll.com/current_congrove_rankings.html
    I dont know which one is right. I've watched them play a few times on tv and they are not a bad team, thats for sure. It will be interesting to see in 2 weeks how the U.H. offense does against the TCU defense, which is very good.

7. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Man, if UH and TCU both win next week, their matchup at Robertson should be fun. Coog fans, you'd better pack that stadium!

I may have to get some tickets to that one. Go Coogs!

8. Maynard

Maynard Member

9. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

yeah.. I wonder when this is all going down..

Robertson Phase I and II

Phase I of Robertson will be completed prior to this season at a cost of approximately $11M. All the monies were generated externally through friends of the program and most significantly the anchor gift of $6M by John M. O'Quinn. If you look at the photo of Phase I,this is what it will be for the Rice game in September (minus the endzone facility). Regarding Phase II, the preliminary plan calls for increased seating for approximately 53,000. When looking at the picture, this can be constructed in stages as well by adding the east addition, west addition or both for that matter. Phase II would include upscale luxury boxes, additional seating, a dignified stadium facade and appropriate media facilities.

In addition to the east and west additions, a 15,000 square foot building would be constructed just outside the north end zone. This structure would accommodate home and visitors locker rooms, a mini-medical center, media interview area and storage space on the first floor. The second floor would be a wide open reception area with a kitchen allowing for not only athletic but also university wide events and receptions. Obviously on game day it would be a spectacular space with views to both downtown and inside the stadium to host alumni, friends and others who would be attending the game.

PHASE I
    [​IMG]

PHASE II
    [​IMG]

10. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Well, you implied with your post that I believed that TCU was the best team in Texas. I was just pointing out to Rocket River that they simply have the best record.

11. PhiSlammaJamma

Houston actually hung in with Michigan for at least a quarter before Michigan ran over them. It wasn't as bad as it looked in the end. They just had more beef on the line.

12. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Despite being a Rice alumnus, I have been cheering for UofH this football season. I like for local teams to do well, and I really think Briles has generated some great excitement over there. I think Houston has a ton of potential, especially if they can upgrade their facilities. Being located smack in the middle of one of the most fertile recruiting grounds as well as the fact that they have extrememly lax entrance requirements for athletics should provide them with some good recruits in the future.

As for baseball, you will always take a backseat to Rice!!

13. Maynard

Maynard Member

:)

my point was that comparing TCU's record against the record of BigXII schools really doesn't mean anything

14. The Summit

Yeah that game is going to be great. For anyone who hasnt been to Robertson Stadium, it is a great place to watch football. TCU will sellout no problem, if you're going I would get the tickets soon. www.uhcougars.com

15. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

great signature donnym!

16. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

;)

I just kind of think it's silly how TJ's signature is always something that you would see in a mud-slinging campaign ad.

17. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

He's like a young frustrated Roger Ailes, cutting his teeth on a basketball bbs, waiting for his call up to the big leagues....

18. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

for those of you who wanted to see the sack that sealed the victory last saturday (otherwise known as the sack heard 'round the bayou)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

19. Sister Ray

Sister Ray Member

You seen the secondary for the Longhorns lately? They wouldn't "school" anybody right now with a decent passing game. The Longhorns bloody well should beat the tar out of the likes of the Cougars, but they are the biggest disappointment in college football. Briles would be an improvment of Mack just for his attitude, alone. None of that gutless pre-game "we-can-still-win-the-conference-if-we-lose-to-Oklahoma" talk. That's embarassing. All it takes is a leader to turn around the culture of a football program as Bob Stoops, Jim Tressel and Mike Bellotti have shown in recent years. As a U of H grad twice over I am glad to see a new fighting spirit. Hell, I'm glad there's any hope at all. There's no reason the program can't get back on track and keep a lot of that Houston talent at home. Being caught in between the utterly moronic arrogance of the Longhorns and Aggies and their delusional fans all these years in Houston has sucked. Nice change of pace to see those bastids taste a little humble pie. :D

20. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I appreciate it . Had not kept up with them.
    Their meeting should be quite a show down

Rocket River
    I hope the local Media plays it up