1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How bout Josh Smith/Gerald Wallace?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Since75, Jun 29, 2007.

1. Since75

Since75 Member

I know everyone loves Battier and he's good to have on the team, however he lacks a great deal of athleticism that Gerald Wallace could bring, not to mention as good or better overall defense. Josh Smith is 6'9 and extremely athletic and could play the 4 for the rockets.

Wallace is a free agent. He will demand probably an average of 8-8.5mil per.
    Snt of Sura and Rafer will work. It appears Charlotte doesn't want him anymore since they got Jason Richardson in the trade on draft night.

Josh Smith is among a glutton of 6'8 type guys in Atlanta. They just drafted Horford, and they already have Childress, Sheldon Williams, Williams kid from NC, all 1st rd picks.

Battier for Smith works and he makes half of what Battier makes now and is younger and definitely more athletic.

I would love to see a fast break with Smith and Wallace on the wings.

2. thecity5

thecity5 Member

Josh and Gerald both cant shoot id keep battier

3. uchlha

uchlha Member

this has been talked about before. gerald wallace is gonna get 8-10mil if he would accept MLE then that would be great but he wont.

as for smith, what can we trade ATL for him? id do rafer + whtaever they want in a heartbeat but all we got is trash that they dont see as treasure.

4. yao ming 34

yao ming 34 Member

g.wallace is gettin the mle no more...not many teams can offer more...guy hasnt even made the all star team once

5. Matchman

Matchman Contributing Member

Josh Smith is our dream PF
    A more atheletic Stromile Swift who can also block shots, rebound and do other little things that helps the team win. (basically a black version of AK47)
    I will trade Battier for Josh straight up

6. RedRowdy111

RedRowdy111 Contributing Member

word up yo

7. therox3

therox3 Member

We don't have money to spend.

We don't have valuable trade assets.

8. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

That's the truth and the whole truth.

9. Barkley

Barkley Member

They're both are SF but thay can be PF. I think Josh Smith is more athletic but Geral Wallace is probably better. We can try but I'm not sure if we really need those guys

10. mynameizrey

mynameizrey Member

I'd probably attempt doing a trade for Josh Smith over Gerald Wallace because honestly, I don't want the Rockets spending more money on an injury-prone player in Wallace. Wallace seems like the more polished, exciting player... but Josh Smith has those very same tools to really excel in the NBA. And did I mention, the guy is younger than Wallace.

11. dntrwl

dntrwl Member

if we got Gerald Wallace or Josh Smith I would do this
    <embed src="http://www.collegehumor.com/moogaloop/moogaloop.swf?clip_id=1765300" quality="best" width="400" height="300" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"></embed>

12. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Trust me, the Hawks are not going to trade Josh Smith. He is part of their core along with Joe Johnson and Al Horford.

The guys they would be looking to move depending on what is available is Marvin Williams, Josh Childress or Sheldon Williams.

Most likely candidate to move is Josh Childress. But the player they could move to get the most bang for their buck of course would be Marvin Williams.

The Hawks will probably try to pry away Luke Ridnour or Jose Calderon with Josh Childress. That's what they are looking at right now.

That said, I agree that Josh Smith would be a GREAT PF next to Yao. Exactly the type of skillset to pair up with Yao with the quickness and shot blocking. So, if you want to see Josh Smith with Yao, make the trade in NBA 2K7. ;)

13. hooroo

hooroo Member

http://www.mercurynews.com/news/ci_6262878?nclick_check=1
    not being an allstar didn't stop mobely getting a 8-9 million dollar per year contract.

14. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

And so you surmise that they're looking to trade the best player out of that "glut?" Come on, guys. Common sense please.

15. awo86

awo86 Rookie

sheldon williams

16. awo86

awo86 Rookie

for rafer alston + scrubs. because the hawks can't get a good distributing PG like jose calderon. i say if the hawks can't pry ridnour away from the sonics, who now have delonte west and earl watson, we hav a chance.

17. Barkley

Barkley Member

Hawks don't have any PG at the roster. We should try!

18. Since75

Since75 Member

Common sense only extends to common experiences. I surmise that because Smith has recently had problems with the coaching staff and apparently has attitude problems. He also is in his 4th year and maybe the Hawks want to take a look at the other top 5 forward they drafted 2 seasons ago in Williams.

19. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

They have Anthony Johnson, Tyron Lue and Acie Law. They also have Joe Johnson that can give them minutes there.

That said, they are looking for a PG. But the Rockets dont have a PG that would upgrade their unit. They are looking at Ridnour or Calderon. With Law coming off the bench as an energy guy.

20. t-mac4bigmac

t-mac4bigmac Member

Consider that Van Gundy's offensive system can make anyone look less athletic than they really are. Tracy McGrady last year got very few chances to dunk the ball because of the incredibly slowed down pace. This is just speculation, but Battier may be a more fluid player and a more dangerous offensive weapon under Adelman.