1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How Bernie Sanders Wins

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by nolimitnp, May 6, 2016.

1. nolimitnp

nolimitnp Contributing Member

Can anyone give me a valid reason why the Tuesday we elect the president isn't a Federal holiday? No one should be saying I didn't vote because I had to work or couldn't find time. What if Bernie Sanders supporters all made it a Federal Holiday anyway? Make voting a fun experience with prizes, music, food, games. I don't know, something to entice more people to vote. I guarantee you Sanders gets the 270 electoral votes if younger people just showed up to vote if he ran as an Independent. Am I wrong?

2. mateo

mateo Contributing Member

Sanders running as an independent is Trump's wet dream. Bernie isnt selfish enough to do that, or at least I would hope not.

3. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

They should also have free concerts, carnival rides, and funnel cakes. This all falls under providing for the common welfare IMO.

#3 Haymitch, May 6, 2016
    Last edited: May 6, 2016
  4. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I mentioned this about Trump if Cruz et al had pulled their contested convention nonsense and was inf'd that it would be too late for Trump to get on enough states as an Indy. Wouldn't this be the same issue for Sanders or do the democrats have a different policy? Shouldn't it be the same for all candidates running as indys?

5. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sanders has already said he'd support Hillary in the general election.

6. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Making the Election Day a public holiday has come up many times before with little support behind it.

The time to change these things was years ago rather than near the end of the primary season.

7. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Why are they against it? Or just make it a voting day on a weekend. Why does it have to be a weekday?

8. Major

Major Member

Same reason one party does things like Voter ID laws, reducing early voting, etc. If one party benefits from higher turnout, then the other party benefits from lower turnout and will work towards that goal.

9. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

With early voting, absentee voting, and expanded voting hours, I don't know what it matters. I'd guess weekend voting would drive down turnout even lower.

10. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Does every place have early voting? absentee voting seems like a pain.

11. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

Awe isn't that sweet... the kiddies that like sanders want a day off and a carnival... why am I not surprised?

12. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

I for one believe that the work week should be four days in length and not five. Monday - Thursday, 10hr days.

13. cwebbster

cwebbster Contributing Member

Thats my work week anyways. My company adopted this. If we work Friday, and even if we are salary, we get paid OT.

SWEET SWEET OT

14. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yes, it's always best to mock the idea that voting should be easier for people.

What a silly thing to suggest. That's especially true since our voter turnouts are so high. We have such a large percentage of people that participate in the system, it's just plain silly to think making it easier to vote is a good idea.

Seriously, though, for someone who seems to be against the money establishment in politics, the best way to do that is by having a large percentage voting. Right now, money politics only has to outspend and influence the tiny percentage of people that vote. Increasing that will weaken their hold on both political parties.

15. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Early and absentee voting actually benefits republicans according to extant literature. I probably need to double check this. But yeah, I think early voting depresses turnout and absentee voting helps republicans more than democrats.

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

How Bernie wins.

Hillary is indicted for her crimes while Secretary of State and is forced to drop from the race allowing Bernie to run against Trump. Bernie then beats Trump easily like anyone else would.

17. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

That isn't really true any more. Early voting (and absentee voting) now mostly benefits Democrats and Republicans are the ones that have to run up the score on election day.

That's why several states with Republican majorities have started reducing early voting (North Carolina and Ohio are two examples).

Also early voting doesn't depress turnout. Its impact isn't that substantial but it does slightly improve overall turnout by a few percentage points.

18. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

I'm voting for him in June- but boy, do Sanders supporters sure project alot of excuses and conspiracies about how or why he will lose

19. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

Seriously? the OP wants games and food and prizes...

I also believe that the majority of the American population isn't responsible enough with their own lives to make a well intentioned vote for the welfare of our nation even though they have the right to. I think that a person who takes their responsibility as a citizen seriously will find a way to vote.

20. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Well when Republican set the system up so that you have to take off days of work to secure all these documents, and then take a Tuesday off of work by limiting polling stations to ensure long travel times and long waits in line to maximize the opportunity cost in income loss for the not-so-well to do...I think there is a problem.

You talk about games food and prizes, but really what there is ---is you get penalized for voting.

I vote, but it takes me 2 minutes to do so. Not 6 hours. How about leveling the playing field?