1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How about Wang

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by gotoloveit2, Mar 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. supermagichero

Are you Wang Zhizhi or a relative of him? If you don't who else is not selfish, I can tell you --- Yao Ming.

If Wang is not selfish, I don't know who else is. :D

2. got-milk!

got-milk! Member

I think the 7'1"/275lb WangZz is still 2-3 years from his prime, since "prime age" where stregnth peaks for most males is around 28-29 years old. But I don't think WZZ will ever reach his basketball prime playing on several minute per game off the bench. WZZ is more experienced and has an edge on power over Yao right now (as well as many other NBA players), but he'll be eclipsed by YM and other players who have better game playing time and opportunity than himself. From what I've seen of WZZ, he's at this point in time, a better driver into the basket than Yao. That's just my observations from the limited action I've seen from him (not my fault ok) watching the Clippers take on a variety of opponents.

3. Panda

Panda Member

I think Wang Zhi Zhi should change his name to Wang Chi Chi. First, he screwed the national team with his Wang and influenced anti-Chinese government people to stand by him with his Chi(a form of energy within body believed by Chinese, see Tai Chi...). So here you go, Wang Chi Chi. :D

4. Jonhty

Jonhty Member

you conviently ignored my point that Wang has make much more contribution than perhap any other international NBA player(including Yao) has to their own countries. so it's not fair to critisize him for that because he's probably the least selfish among them.

and no i'm not a relative of Wang. actually, i dislike Wang as a basketball player. he's just plain terrible.

5. supermagichero

Just a simple example, Dirk did much much more than Wang for his country. (period) You don't even know what you are talking about when you are making the arguement. Many many many many many international players did much much much more than him.

6. bobododo

bobododo Member

The fact that Wang didnt do what the goverment wanted him to doesn't change the fact that he's Chinese and since he's still chinese im pretty sure they will support Wang. If Wang somehow manages to become a superstar(yea right) im pretty sure a lot of chinese people will look up to him. It's just that china feels like Wang is some kind of Benedict Arnold. I know a lot of asians who want Wang to do good because it gives them hope that they can play ball too^_^.

7. Jonhty

Jonhty Member

Dirk may have led his country to the third place in the world championship. but Wang has represented his country in much more games than Dirk. (period) that's my point. it's not the achievement that counts when you judge if a player cares about his national interest. it's the committment/effort that a player has put into his country. if you want to argue Wang's inability to lead the Chinese NT to anywhere, fine. but to say Wang doesn't care about his country is just plain BS. Wang cares just about as much as any other NBA player if not more.

8. rockyymf

rockyymf Member

I don't know if you have ever been in China before although your name sounds like a Chinese name. In China, you can get allowance from government even for attending a youth athlete team in your neighborhood. I don't think German goverment does that. Back in the 70s and 80s when the most Chinese have very low income, this kind of allowance means a lot to a family and young kids. I attend a table tennis team in a preliminary school when I was in 3rd grade and I actually got paid from the school and local government until I graduated . Not like in united states or europe, you do everything on you own. Chinese government put a lot of effort on training those athletes since they were kids. All the money came from the hard working low income Chinese people. You can't just walk away when it's time for you to pay back. To me it makes perfect sense that they were asked to pay half of there salary back. Don't say I'm brain washed. I used to be brain washed by the american media in my first two years in the states. But the longer I stay here, the more I learn to judge by my own brain. That's the good thing about living in united states.

Wang has pretty high basketball IQ. But he is still a loser in his life. Yao is much smarter. He was also asked to pay a great deal of money to Shanghai sharks and the Chinese basketball association. But he and the Yao team negotiated with them until the last minute and siganificantly lowered the percentage of the money they have to pay without breaking up with the Chinese authority. Wang on the other hand, did it in a very ugly and stupid way by refusing to attend the training for the world Championship and the Asia games. This kind of behavior not only offended the Chinese authority, but also offended the Chinese fans.

9. Jonhty

Jonhty Member

it's true. but those helps the government provided doesn't justify half of Yao's salary in return through his WHOLE career!! that's why the government finally settled for less after negotiating with Yao's team. and also don't you think Yao's contribution to national team counts as payback?? anyway, that system sucks.

and just curious, how do those american or european athletes support themselves when they are kids?? do they work? I mean did MJ work himself to pay for his basketball training when he was kid??

#69 Jonhty, Mar 13, 2003
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2003
  10. supermagichero

What hell can you say Wang has represented his country in much more games than Dirk? If you don't know the fact, don't argue. It makes your point weak. It is clearly what you said here is plain BS. I will save my time. (period) :mad:

11. Jonhty

Jonhty Member

man, don't get angry. the fact is that Wang started to represent his country since he was about 16/17!! and before he entered the NBA, he took part in virtually every Chinese NT game, including those meaningless invitation and exhibition games which I'm sure Dirk didn't have to play. Plus, Chinese NT has much longer period of training (like 3 months before the world championship)which require more committment.

12. rockyymf

rockyymf Member

Well, the system is in transition. It is changing from "The government takes care of everything" to "You totally rely on your own". For people like Wang and Yao, who were raised and trained by the government and now can earn whatever money they are able to earn, the situation is even more awkward and harder to understand. But to me it still makes sense that they have to pay some portion of their salary back. By watching the growth of Yao and Shanghai Sharks, I realized that without the national team
    and shanghai sharks, he was nothing.
    Yes they played several international games, but it's also the national team who gave them the chance, the training and the ability to play in NBA and earn what they earn today.

13. orien

orien Member

u r right.

14. supermagichero

You sure? Dirk started to play for Germany since he was 16. :eek:
    Give me a break. Can you investigate anything before you say for sure? According to your logic, if a person is older, he surely has more contributions than the younger one. As what is committment, see what Dirk had done for his country. He bought the insurance to play in the WC using his own money. He is even not a member of the army.

15. supermagichero

You are obsolutely right. That is why Wang and Yao can't evade the responsibility. There are completely different system between China and USA. You can't use USA's standard to judge a China stuff. It is unfair to China.

16. gotoloveit2

gotoloveit2 Contributing Member

When I started this thread, my intention has nothing to do with discussing the good or evil of communism, or if Wang is a patriot or a selfish b*stard. But I am little surprised with the use of word "brainwash" in some of the threads here. I am more surprised or even offended when one of you said you got brainwashed by the American media. I am sure the China now is more open than 30 years ago. But implying you were just as brainwashed by the American media as in China is ludicrous. When you have only one source of information available to you, no question allowed, that's brainwashing. America is a multicultural society. We have our shares of goods or evils, just like many other cultures over the millenniums. But we do have free flow of informations in this country. I am sure there are misinformations out there, however one could always look them up in other sources and be able to ask questions. How could that be brainwashing. Brainwashing simpily doesn't work in an open society. There are always people who are gullible out there. May be you are one of them. But please dont claim you got brainwashed by the American media at large.

17. rockyymf

rockyymf Member

I also don't have the intention to discuss with you about how evil the communism is. I just try to explain to some people why I don't think Wang's conduct is right. It's not totally unrelated to your topic too. As I said, since Wang has some communication problem and not very easy going, he might have some problem to coordinate with other players if he come to rox. About the "brainwash" stuff, different people have different experience. It's always easy to attack people from other countries to be brainwashed. But everybody is somehow influenced by the main stream media and people around him without even realizing that. It may be hard for an American to believe that you actually can get brainwashed in this country. But for many foreign people, it does not seem to be such a weired thing. Not only I have this kind of feeling, even people from other "free countries" I know have similar thoughts.

18. Jonhty

Jonhty Member

you're wrong. the first time Dirk was the German NT is 1996 when he's 18.

http://www.usbasket.com/USAplayer.asp?PlayerID=1994

here's the one for Wang.

http://www.usbasket.com/USAplayer.asp?PlayerID=6583

see it youself.

games that Wang took part in and Dirk didn't

1996 Olympics
    2000 Olympics
    2001 World University games

games that Wang took part in and there's not counterpart in Europe

1998 Asian games
    2001 East Asian games

and not listed in the above link
    Wang also represented the Chinese army in the world soldier games

as for Dirk paid for insurance himself in order to play for Germany, someone else already said that he didn't have to surrencer half of his salary to his country.

19. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

no thanks...

20. acrophobia98

acrophobia98 Member

While I have no love affair with the Chinese government, we have to be fair to say that most governments in western world taxed their resident (in some case citizens) much more than 50% of their income if he is earning at the same level as Yao is currently getting. It is just too bad there is no bilateral tax agreement between US and China; and that cause double taxation on Yao. In other words, Yao is tax more than 50% by US and then by China again.

If Yao is a British or a Canadian, he would not be subject to double taxation due to the bilateral tax agreement between US and UK/Canada.

:D :D :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.