1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How about Wang

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by gotoloveit2, Mar 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nova

Nova Member

whee... cultural and ethical clash here. Anyways, Wang is NOT a player we want. We can get better!!!! :mad:

We don't need anything that he brings to the table.

2. orien

orien Member

somebody say, that is WZZ's right, he can chose to stay in NBA in summer.
    ya, right, thats his right.
    so the national team kick him out is goverment's right.

he chose his life, he should know the result, didnt he? he must pay for his selfishness.:eek:

3. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

We are talking about basketball....not war :rolleyes:

4. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

good point orien.

i guess from the american perspective it is not selfish but from the chinese one it is selfish.

5. sxl097

sxl097 Member

Originally posted by oldgunrules
    I've heard communist talk like this before. They say since Wang is "completely trained by the government" so he cannot live his own life. They need 50% of his income, and he can't decide his own career. In the world of communist every individual achievment is the result of the their great leadership. I just wonder, if that government is so good at training athletes why don't they produce 100 more Yao Ming, Wang Zhizhi or whatever?

I know we talked about basketball here. But one thing you may not notice, as an American, you have to pay US tax even though you worked oversea. As current situation for Yao Ming, my guess is a quarter of his income is going to his pocket, the other quarter goes to US government as tax, although NO ONE want to mention that. As a person who lived in a "Red" communist country, China, for more than 20 years. Life is not that bad, definitely poorer. It is just because the most western media want all Americans believe the lives are miserable over there. If you have not been to China, I would suggest to make a trip somehow to China and see it yourself. I bet it will suprise you that how wonderful a country China is, like most Americans make the first trip to China. Human beings are human beings.

It is not that Wang Zhizhi can't decide his own career. He has to honor the contract he signed. It is the same situation that Pippen got tied up with the Bulls during their championship years. He wanted to make more money those years. But tied up with his contract, he was making a fraction of what other Bulls' starters made. Maybe unfair or maybe not. That is just life.

6. orien

orien Member

finally, i got these:

1. every goverment is same for common people, include nba players.

2. wherever we stay, we have to give half of our money to the goverment.

3. be like YAO, dont be like ZHIZHI.

4. Too rich is not a good thing, sometimes. lots of people want money from u.

5. be a fan is better be a player, at least people wont P!SS on u, cause they dont know who u r. :D

7. rockyymf

rockyymf Member

As far as I know, Dirk went back to play the world Championship for German and paid the expenses and some kind of fine charged by his team all by himself. I don't remember the amount but I had an impression that it was a lot of money. He's not from a communist country. He earned respect from me by committing his responsibility to his national team. Wang has the right not playing for Chinese national team. The national team also has the right to kick him out. And Chinese people have the right to dislike somebody who refused to play for his nation. There are so many people in China loving Yao not just because he's a Chinese, but also because he said before he left that he would come back whenever he was needed by the national team. If Yao would behave like Wang, the rockets might lose the majority of its Chinese fans.

I don't like Want but since he is still a Chinese, I hope he will do well in NBA. He outplayed Yao in China for many years. I think he even has better footwork than Yao. The problem is that his personality is not as good as Yao. He has trouble to communicate and mix with his coach and teamates. So it's hard for him to get more play time on the court and earn respect from others. Yao has great personality and very good at communication. But even so, he's still struggling to get more passes from his teamates. Imaging if Wang were with the rockets on the court, probably only Yao would pass him the ball. Good skills are not enough to make you a great player, unless you are super good like Shaq or Dream.

8. orien

orien Member

good post.
    be like yao, dont be like Zhizhi.:D

9. Jonhty

Jonhty Member

i don't think Wang did anything wrong. Wang has done enough for China in return to what China has given him. He needs to look after his own interest. that's no selfish. if anything, it's the government that's too selfish.
    I sincerely hope Yao does the same thing as Wang. Yao really needs to have REST and work on his game during NBA off season. He can't afford to go back to China to play for his NT EVERY summer. there's such thing as too much basketball. the only games I think he should play are the Olympics, the world championship and the asian championship which is the qualifier for the Olympics.

10. orien

orien Member

may we have different opinion.
    keep it. i dont mind.

but, yao wont be zhizhi. he will do a good decision.

11. choujie

choujie Member

German Goverment didn't require 50% pre-tax income from Dirk like Chinese Goverment did to Wang. There is a huge difference here.
    German Basketball team never required Dirk to play invitational games. Wang wanted to play in WC for China, but he was dismissed because he didn't play in those meaningless games.

Chinese goverment never considered what's good for Wang. Last summer was very critical for Wang's career in NBA, did Chinese goverment think about his situation a little bit? If they don't treat Wang good, why should Wang treat them like God?
    Wang was trained in China, but he also played so many years for them, I don't think he owes them anything. You learn a lot in high school, that doesn't mean the high school can take you back any time they want after you go to college.

I'm not a Wang fan, but I just feel sad that a lot Chinese are brainwashed.

12. Jonhty

Jonhty Member

how can you be sure? I don't think Wang made a wrong decision. do you think Kobe made a wrong decision of not playing for the USA? i hope China is not asking too much from Yao or eventually Yao will get fed up and turn his back against China.
    and btw, I'm Chinese. I know there're a LOT of Chinese people supporting Wang for what he has done. don't talk like the whole China thinks Wang was wrong. just because some bureaucrats thinks he was wrong doesn't mean all Chinese people think he was wrong as well.

13. uac

uac Contributing Member

I've been brainwashed...somehow I don't feel sad at all. damn.

14. supermagichero

You will be really disappointed because Yao will not be as selfish as Wang. Wang did everything wrong. It is because his selfishness instead of the government. His refusal to comunicate with the government made thing worse. He never thinks about the national interest instead of himself. If it is not selfish, I don't what it is.

I am actually in USA. No chinese is brainwashed as more as you american guys are. You guys are brainwashed by CNN, ABC and NBC everyday. :D

15. supermagichero

I think some of you guys are fu*king crazy by saying Wang downplayed Yao all that years in China so Wang is better or comparable to Yao. It was really stupid to say that.

At that time, Yao was only a teenage while Wang already peaked.
    Can you see the difference?

16. orien

orien Member

well, they are chinese also, american dont care about WANG ZHIZHI, they even dont know who he is.

17. axmpo

axmpo Member

Wow, some strong words. I support Wang, but I also understand why so many people don't support him. FYI, there're many, many Chinese both at home and abroad support Wang. When people disagree with each other, it's not called brainwash. It's called democracy.

I admit that I had been "brainwashed" before I came to the States 8 years ago. As I met more and more non-brainwashable persons like you, however, I found myself in urgent need of a re-brainwash. Oh, and let me add one more thing, call me a non-debrainwashable red guard, should you prefer.

18. orien

orien Member

well, lots of abroad chinese, they dont support wang, why we need support him?
    strange~~~~~~

"brainwash"?. i guess only u guys age will say this kind of words.:eek:

19. Yun

Yun Member

Haha.. good one. I agree!!!

20. Jonhty

Jonhty Member

you need to check Wang's history of representing China before you accuse him of being selfish. name me one NBA player who has represented his own country more than Wang has. saying he never thinks about the national interest is just crazy. if you think Wang is selfish, I don't know who else isn't.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.