1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How about trying to get Nowitzki instead of McGrady?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by AroundTheWorld, Feb 22, 2000.

1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Okay, okay, I know I am biased, as you can probably see from my user name. But I am just wondering what you think about this. So far I have only heard the name McGrady come up in trade rumors on this board. If you compare him to Nowitzki, another small forward, I think that maybe Nowitzki should get the edge and he is less hyped than McGrady, so he might come cheaper (although I don't know that for sure).

Their stats:

Nowitzki:
    99-00 Dal
    G 52
    Min 36.3
    FG att 13.4
    Pct 46.2
    FT att 4.8
    Pct 83.0
    3-p att 3.0
    Pct 40.4
    off RB 1.1
    tot RB 6.2
    Ast 2.5
    Stl 0.8
    Blk 0.9
    To 2.0
    PF 3.4
    Pts 17.6

McGrady:
    99-00 Tor
    G 48
    Min 26.8
    FG att 11.6
    Pct 46.6
    FT att 4.6
    Pct 67.7
    3-p att 0.6
    Pct 22.6
    off RB 1.8
    tot RB 5.1
    Ast 2.8
    Stl 1.1
    Blk 1.9
    To 2.1
    PF 2.4
    Pts 14.1

While McGrady is clearly a better shot-blocker, Nowitzki is the much better 3-point shooter. The other categories are somewhat similar. Nowitzki can create lots of matchup problems because he is 6'11 if not 7'0, but has a great outside shot (kind of like Schrempf, or, to some extent, Kukoc). He is one of the leading candidates for the Most Improved Player Award.

Nowitzki and McGrady both have a great future. Nowitzki is only a year older than McGrady, but he might have even more upside, because he had a lot less exposure than McGrady to really competitive basketball so far, coming from 2nd division in Germany, where he only played for a year. Even high school basketball in the US is probably more competitive than 2nd division in Germany.

I know Don Nelson seems to have a really high opinion of Nowitzki (remember, he predicted that he would be Rookie of the Year, which was too much pressure), but everyone knows that Nelson is usually very trade-happy.

Personally, I would trade anyone except Francis and Hakeem to get Nowitzki. Shandon Anderson will be a Rocket because the Rockets will not trade him after he chose Houston over Utah. Dallas might be eager to get rid of Shawn Bradley. I would prefer not to give them Mobley and Thomas. So we could offer them any combination of Cato, Drew, Williams, Rogers, Massenburg, Bullard for Nowitzki and whoever they want to get rid of. I would do it. What do you think? Any chance anything could work? Thanks.

2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

how soft is he?

Can he BANG!

At his height he maybe project at PF
    The Rag on Kukoc is he plays
    weak defense and is not that fast.

Is Dirk better than Kukoc in thos Dept.

I like cheap help.

I'd look into it at the least if I was
    the GM.

Walt/Bull/Mass/Pig/Moochie/Gray could pull the trigger for me

DUnno about modley/Drew/thomas . ..
    don't know if I could Pull the trigger with
    on of these guys

Rocket River
    not Sold on Dirk . . but he does look good
    Wish we could have got Finley when he was a cheap 700 000 from Phoenix

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

I would LOVE to have Nowitski, but I think the firesale in Dallas is over with the new owner.

DaDakota

4. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

Nowitzki is going nowhere! Dallas traded away Traylor and Pat Garrity. Don Nelson (the guy has a fascination for European players) covets this kid. Dallas could have drafted Paul Pierce. But they went to make the deal for Dirk instead.

He would be a good addition to Houston...even though he reminds me of a more mobile Bullard.

5. PhiSlammaJamma

Dirk will be making noise for a long time to come. He made a huge leap since last year and is still very young. He's exactly what the Rockets need. However, Don Nelson was in love with him on draft day...and Dallas still loves him today. He isn't going anywhere. Larry Bird thought Dirk was one of the greatest players he's ever seen. Now that says something. How often do you hear Larry Bird talk about someone like that.

6. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Wow, I didn't even know that Larry Bird said that. That's pretty impressive. Well, I guess it seems like the chances of getting him are very low.

7. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

I just remember that beforethe draft, most experts believed that dirk had the potential to be the 2nd best player in that draft, and right now he may not be far off.

The bullard comparison is a little off. i think dirk has many more elements to his game. Yes, he is certainly more mobile, but he may also be a better defender. He also looks to be a pretty good ball handler. He seems to play with emotion also.

I would love to have him on the rockets, but like someone else said, the firesale is open. I dont know if a cuttino/ late 1st for dirk would be enough to pry him away. But, i would be tempted to say yes if that opportunity presented itself

------------------
    "Don't they get cable in Canada ?" Keith olbermann, after watching hakeem block terry catledge's shot 5 times.

8. Steve Phrancis

Sorry, PhiSlammaJamma,

That is not what they need! I live neaer Dallas and have watched him a lot. He is a really good 3 point player, but can not play D and he is a below avg. rebounder for his side. He can play point forward, but he is more suited for the 3 that the 4.

We still need a banger. We need someone, like say Brian Grant. Who can play the 4 and sometimes the 5. With KT progressing, it is a good sign. I was really impressed with the way that he played Duncan, he did have to have some help.

9. haven

haven Member

At the beginning of this year, Nowitzki's teammates were calling him "Irk" because of his notorious lack of defense. I'd rather not have anyone like that on this team.

I think he's also sort of a blackhole on offense.

10. Azim da Dream

Azim da Dream Member

Dirk has improved a lot during the year and has accomplished the rare feat of making Don Nelson look brilliant through his play. He can shoot the trey as well as anyone else in the league, he's 6"11", he's relatively mobile, and he has a good overall sense of the game. However, from what I've seen, his defense would make Walt Williams look like The Glove on a good day, as he continues the role of a stereotypical European player who can't play much defense. And while he can drive for a 7-footer, Nowitzki often looks ackward when doing so and has a ways to go before we can compare him to Kukoc. Also, while he is a decent rebounder, he is still softer around the net than Thomas Hamilton's belly.

With that said, he is still young and will definately improve as the years go on. But right now, he is definately not what this Rockets team is looking for. What Houston needs is an athletic, youthful SF role player who can play solid D, and hit the open shots. That fits McGrady or Jalen Rose to a tee, while Nowitzki right now is simply a project.

Azim da Dream

------------------
    No guts, no glory, no brain, same story.

[This message has been edited by Azim da Dream (edited February 22, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by Azim da Dream (edited February 22, 2000).]

11. haven

haven Member

I'm not a Nowitzki fan... just look at my previous post. But he's certainly more than a project. He's a useful contributor now, if you need some offense. Anybody who can score 17 points a game provides benefits for a team.

12. playahata

playahata Member

Bird said the same thing about Austin Croshere.

13. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

.....and we all know how dominant Croshere is!

[​IMG]

14. Mulder

Mulder Contributing Member

I guaran-fricken-tee you that Nowitski is NOT going to be a Rocket anytime soon,and the same goes for McGrady. It just ain't gonna happen this year.

------------------
    The truth is out there.

15. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

GAME OVER in t-minus 8 hours.

Then trade speculation becomes completely irrelevant...woo hoo.

16. PhiSlammaJamma

I'm no Croshere fan, but last night, 17 points and 8 rebounds in limited play.