1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How about trading up for Nicolas Batum?

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by ooliverb1, May 25, 2008.

1. ooliverb1

ooliverb1 Member

Batum's performance in Reebok Eurocamp.

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/2008-Reebok-Eurocamp-in-Treviso,-Days-Three-and-Four-2921/

2. Aemon

Aemon Member

Most mock drafts have him available for the Rockets to pick at 25 if they so choose. Personally, i'd rather see them take C. Douglas-Roberts at that spot, or maybe trade down to get him. Chris is a SG who can slash to the basket and finish. He played really well in the NCAA tournament.

3. RocketsMAN!

RocketsMAN! Member

I'm starting to come around to the same school of thought. CDR looks like a better pick (code: safer pick). Batum has more risk, reward of being a poor man's Lamar Odom at the 3 position, and athletic 4, IN ABOUT 6 YEARS IN THE LEAGUE. If he were available in the 2nd round, I would buy his pick, and take the flyer on him for a couple more seasons, then bring him in to play D-League and bulk-up to see the effect that size has on his athleticism. He will always be 6'8"/6'9", even after a couple of years, but he won't be ready for The Association for a while.

CDR on the other hand I feel has more heart to him. I got to watch the tourney when he was playing, and he looked like an energy player. That's what the Rockets need to keep in mind for a 1st round pick, a quality backup, bench player that is going to bring energy and quality (read: bring what Battier brings, whatever is needed). And since he's younger and more athletic than Battier, then we're looking a a future quality perimeter defender. I just think CDR will want to prove it more than Batum, right now.

4. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

From the looks of things right now...Batum might actually fall right into our laps at no.25.

He is a project and so will be staying in Europe for like another 3 years. Plus he's nowhere near NBA-ready, even though he has very good potential.

No need to trade up for this guy. If we're ever trading up we should be targetting Brandon Rush or just to steal the Jazz's prefered pick and we can laugh at their faces.

Draft Roy Hibbert!

5. Faos

Faos Member

http://sports.aol.com/fanhouse/2008/06/21/nicolas-batum-might-have-a-bad-ticker/

Nicolas Batum Might Have a Bad Ticker

Tom ZillerPosted Jun 21st 2008 12:32PM by Tom Ziller
    Filed under: Nets, Raptors, NBA Draft, NBA Injuries

When the 2008 NBA mock drafts began to surface this time last year, French swinger Nicolas Batum floated around the top 5 picks, built on the back of his silky-smart style and solid performance against American high school kids. He has slowly, slowly drifted toward the late first round, and this week had been placed in the #15-25 range in most legit mocks.

It looks like that damaged stock is going down down down again, as ESPN's Chad Ford reports tests in both Toronto and New Jersey showed problems with Nico's heart. Batum didn't work out in either town because of the concerns -- a "stress echo test" reported "borderline" -- and some troubling, rumored family history that Ford passes on.

A Sports Illustrated report in February said that Batum's father, Henry, suffered a "massive heart attack" and died at the free throw line while playing pro basketball in France when Nicolas was 2 years old.

Batum's agent says the cause of death was actually an aneurysm, according to Nico's mom. Barring any sort of official information, it's impossible to know the truth here. But if Nico's dad did indeed die young of a massive heart attack while playing basketball, and Nico has tested "borderline" on two separate heart health tests ... yeah, that's not good for anyone.

The NBA's been rife with heart troubles the past few years, between Eddy Curry's uninsurable ticker, LaMarcus Aldridge's irregular heartbeats, and Ronny Turiaf's open-heart surgery. Those have all worked out for the teams who took the chance, but Batum has enough other warts that I can't imagine a team risking a first-rounder on it. It's too bad, because he's an awesome talent and by several reports a nice fellow.

6. Dubious

Dubious Member

If everybody else is scared of him, maybe the Rox can buy the 33rd. pick and use it on him. St. Luke's could fix him up, he could rehab in Europe for a year or two and then you might have something.

Portland does not need any second round picks.

It's kinda the same strategy I was thinking about for Giddens but he would go to the NBDL.

If we bought the 36th which would you rather have? Shan Foster maybe, if you took a C with 25 he might be the most obtainable shooter.

7. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

yah cdr might be the safer pick, but supposedly batum's got more potential.... would be a tough choice if both are there at 25th pick.

8. The Rock MVP

The Rock MVP Member

Couldn't have said it better myself

9. ClutchCityReturns

There's something I don't like about his attitude. He comes off very aloof, very "whatever" about things. I like to see a little more decisiveness in athletes.

10. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Member

Hollinger on Batum

11. hooroo

hooroo Member

I'd be wary on that though. He obviously isn't up to date on the news and writers can pile on a player if they sense his stock has fallen to get a right prediction.

12. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

LOL I cant believe you just said Rudy Gay was a stud in college. Rudy Gay was really inconsistent

13. hooroo

hooroo Member

http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Word-on-the-Street-Denver-trades-20-pick-to-Charlotte-2946/

14. dntrwl

dntrwl Member

LOL I can believe you probably didn't watch him play basketball. Have fun at UT with your video games. I guess reading a scouting report on him makes you the expert.

15 ppg, 6.4 reb., 2 assists, 2 blocks, 30-3 record..National Freshman of the Year..almost Player of the Year

15. ooliverb1

ooliverb1 Member

A bump is called for here :D :D

16. asianballa23

asianballa23 Member

uh oh..... i smell gerald green jr

17. Marsarinian

Marsarinian Member

This thread seems funny now. Har har.

18. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

LOL I cant believe you just tried insulting an 18 year old :D And no, I didnt read a scouting report, my cousin who lives nearby is a big Uconn fan and I watched alot of games with him and Rudy Gay wasnt that great.

Since when was scoring 15 points per game on a good program a sign of greatness or him being a stud? Im guessing youre a gay lover and probably one of the people still crying a river about the Battier deal. If you arent, youre still foolish for trying to insult me back :rolleyes:

And oh, I dont find 15 pts a game with 6 rebounds as a "stud". Every team has somebody who does that (example:Mike Harris averaged 20 pts a game with 11 rebounds @ Rice) and oh, Rudy Gay wasnt drafted because he was "consistent" (which he wasnt at all), he was drafted for his potential and athleticism.

I pretty much just stumped whatever your claim was. Have a good day :D

19. Lovemachine2000

Rudy Gay was an uber stud in college, that much should be recognized. And keep in mind he was playing on a stacked UConn team. Enough said.

20. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I saw enough UConn games with Rudy Gay. "Uber stud" is ridiculous. Sometimes he looked great; other times he completely disappeared. He was a very good player who was extremely athletic and that combo dazzled.