1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How About This Weather We've Been Having?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Cohete Rojo, May 4, 2015.

Tags:
  1. CCorn

CCorn Member

I’m dog sitting my friends lab and both her and my labradoodle are terrified of the storm. Currently in a queen bed with my wife and 2 80+ Pound labs panting like crazy.

2. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

My dog, a lab mix is always scared of rain and thunder. If it starts sprinkling he gets nervous and wants out real quick before it gets too bad and then he is back in hiding in my bedroom till it is all clear. My two cats don't usually care unless it is super loud thunder or hail hitting the house. When the storm came through last night it didn't seem unusual to me but my dog and both cats were all hiding in my bathroom. The cats were tightly balled up in the corner behind a towel rack and dog was in front of it. None of them were moving. I tried to pick one of the cats up but he was really tense so I set him back down with his sister. I had to take a shower in my other bathroom.

3. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

These last 2 days and the last 3 months I have seen some crazy cloud formations I have never seen in my life.

It's 3d art with clouds that look like waves on a sea or rolls of carpet.

Freaky ****.

4. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Wild that storm popped with so much weird energy over the Houston area -- I was thinking we just got hit by a particularly intense supercell, but I guess that juicy gulf nitrous water was all it needed to go off again.

5. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

I was a little late, but so what?

6. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Well, at least the drought is over.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  7. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

8. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

9. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

10. Buck Turgidson

Oh look, hail.

Invisible Fan and Xerobull like this.
  11. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

Our favorite local weather blog has an app now. There's even an Evacuate Katy option in their notifications.

rocketsjudoka and jiggyfly like this.
  12. bcast89

bcast89 Member

No end in sight for all this rain...at least it’s not feeling like 100+ degrees outside like it normally would be

Sajan likes this.
  13. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Meanwhile, out here beyond the 100th Meridian, it's scary. Fuel moistures and other wildland fire indices are at record levels in parts of the west--and by that I mean all-time, not just for early June. In the Central Sierras, the indices are well above the all time highs that are usually reached in August. We literally have not seen these things before and we don't know for sure how fire will behave given those conditions. And not just CA--driest April ever recorded in WA, 2nd in Idaho, 3rd in Oregon, and 4th in Montana. I mean, just look at this chart:

[​IMG]

That's just nuts. Almost incomprehensible. And it's only early June. (This is an Energy Release Component chart, which uses a variety of data related to fuel moistures, fuel types, temps, and other weather info to create a number that represents the energy released at the flaming front--that is, how well stuff will burn. It does not factor in wind. The Max is the highest value on that date for the last 30 years, the average is the average of those 30 years. The bottom line on the graph is the threshold for when you can expect some fires to grow large. The top line is the threshold for explosive large fire growth.)

I can't convey how much this gives me the heebie-jeebies. This drought is creating conditions that will kill people and take towns.

Except, it's not a drought. There is no cycle, no series of wet years in front of us. The five year average we're in now is the best it's ever going to be.

Anyway, if you're thinking of a nice trip out west to see parks and forests this summer, plan on smoke and closures too.

Pro tip: Go see the Sequoias as soon as you can.

14. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

15. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  16. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Here in the upper Midwest we're in an extended heat wave for at least the next week.

17. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Brutal record-setting heat wave in the Pacific NW and Canada, where many never had a need to install AC. The toughest part of it will be the record (high) low nighttime temps which will prevent folks from cooling off much. Yeah, people will die.

Very high temps for a week followed by July 4th which means high fire danger. I don't know about y'all, but I'm at the point where I now dread summer more than I used to dread winter. Here's what the "heat dome" looks like on sat:
    [​IMG]

Amiga, FrontRunner and KingCheetah like this.
  18. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Brutal winter for places that typically have mild winters.
    Brutal summers for places that typically have mild summers.

2020s are still trash.

19. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Hey man, enjoy our last decade

RedRedemption likes this.
  20. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm in Lewiston, ID right now and it's likely going to be 108 F today. It's supposed to hit 116 F on Wednesday. Yesterday in Seattle it was 108 in a place where many don't have AC.