1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How About This Weather We've Been Having?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Cohete Rojo, May 4, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Some portions froze even with the faucets dripping but no burst pipes.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  2. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Just went to my local corner store and the ice machine inside was full to the top. Drink up everyone

3. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

How dare you, sir? ;)

4. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

My mom was gathering ice outside to drink and I told her to go to the store get the ice that was made last week. I thought who the heck would be wanting ice right now during these times. LOL

I wouldn’t trust Houstons water system for another several days

5. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

An old friend owns Texas Master Plumber I've recommended them a few times here I believe if you're looking for quality work on busted pipes/ etc.

whiskeyred likes this.
  6. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

This event has taught me some things:

• I didn't have any burst pipes, but many, many people did. I should own PVC caps, clamps, extra pipe, etc. at all times so I can make an emergency fix on my own while I wait for a plumber.
    • Even though MUDs should have back ups, fill those bathtubs if the power is out for ~24 hours.
    • Back up generator was a good investment
    • It may be worth it to go into the attic this spring and put on extra insulation on pipes
    • C9 Christmas lights (non-LED) are a good way to keep an outdoor intake pipe and a sprinkler backflow pipe warm

ArtV likes this.
  7. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

What does that have to do with them ERCOT only spending 40 sec on it in the last meeting?

How does Katy not getting 20 inches of snow counteract the fact that this was a major weather event that crippled the state of Texas?

What's your point?

8. likestohypeguy

Status of stores in everyone's area?

going to wait until monday anyway, but how do heb/kroger, costco/sams look in everyone's neighborhood rn? Lines, and low stock, or back to normal already?

9. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

My water came back this morning but a couple of pipes upstairs didn't survive. I turned the water off to the house and drained all of the pipes and I still had a break. I made trips to multiple stores today looking for everything to repair them. I got at least one thing from each store but could not find any PVC cement or primer.

10. Sajan

Sajan Member

Why would anyone chose variable power rates? Or variable interest rates? Do people just assume things will never go against them?

11. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

People probably thought they could anticipate and switch or there would be gradual surges.

Some people also automate their home based off of those wholesale prices so hopefully those people were spared.

12. Buck Turgidson

Got the pinhole leak in the copper line to my mom's water heater fixed, so she has hot water again. My house is fine. Old house at ranch A has 2 busted spots but nothing major, barndominium and wells and water troughs at ranch B have problems. I'm headed to Home Depot at 8, the first of several trips I'm sure.

Only lost 1 baby calf, so that's a blessing. Also found a dumbass armadillo that decided to hunker down in the middle of a ranch road and freeze to death, I asked him "why didn't you get in a hole or something?"

13. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

which region ? How cold did it get?

14. KingCheetah

What did he say?

15. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

you beat me to this. i'll see you in court.

16. Buck Turgidson

Brrrr

ArtV likes this.
  17. Buck Turgidson

How is the plumbing supply situation at hardware stores? Home Depot here was out of everything useful (couplings/caps/shutoff valves etc) this morning and they didn't know when they'd get more.

I "borrowed" the pieces I needed from a cousin, to at least get water running again at the ranch house.

18. KingCheetah

With his final breath he whispered...

...'My Life'

Buck Turgidson and MadMax like this.
  19. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

I'm Northeast of Huntsville and it stayed in the 20s most of the time. It did get down to single digits for a night/morning.

20. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

China is looking at what happened here in Texas to feel better about themselves and how they live. They are laughing at us.

Texas never forgets, China!