1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How About This Weather We've Been Having?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Cohete Rojo, May 4, 2015.

Tags:
  1. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

At this point I’m concerned the roads will still be **** by tomorrow morning.

I was kind of counting on them being better by then, but it looks like I’ll remain hunkered down for a few more days. The street literally still looks like an ice skating rink.

BigM likes this.
  2. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

3. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

4. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Since 1am on Monday. Cold enough in our house to see your breath. 2 year old refusing to wear gloves/mittens. This really sucks. Disband ERCOT and fire everyone.

T_Man likes this.
  5. Amshirvani

Amshirvani Contributing Member

Did Abbott not have ample time to prepare for this? It’s not like we were completely caught off guard by the storm. Could they have handled it differently? Also would the rolling blackouts be necessary if we were more reliant on renewable/sustainable sources of fuel? Or would that not have mattered at all. Genuinely interested to know.

T_Man and Andre0087 like this.
  6. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

My sparrows are coming in huge flocks and the cardinals have been loving the weather. I'm just giving them water and extra food.

7. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

It seems to be more of a long term issue, rather than anything they could of done in the short term.

https://www.houstonchronicle.com/bu...ower-prices-spiking-across-Texas-15951684.php

From article:

Without attempting to get too political, there appears to be a ton of blame to be throw around to the Texas government. I would love to hear some insight from @JuanValdez on this issue. Don't know if he has posted at all.

#987 ElPigto, Feb 16, 2021
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2021
    Buck Turgidson likes this.
  8. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

9. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Same. I was thinking tomorrow we could get back out but that’s not happening now.

10. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Been without power for 12 hours now. Made it through night. My poor diet of take out and frozen food proved troublesome. Ate the coldest frito pie ever to sustain myself. Have now retreated to my Truck.

If somebody finds my body, make sure the world knows I hated the McNairs with every fiber of my being.

11. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

It would be our honor bro.

Sajan and DonnyMost like this.
  12. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

I was without power for longer but my heart goes out to people without gas stove to be able to eat hot food.

I have a feeling camping stoves and indoor safe Mr. Heater units will be a new Houston staple along with flashlights.

13. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

We been blacked out for 24hrs... so when is it our turn to get electricity..

T_Man

Bobbythegreat likes this.
  14. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

Be prepared for tonight into tomorrow folks. Especially those north of 59... Winter Storm Warnings in effect tonight through tomorrow

Latest from Jeff Lindner:

Ice Storm Likely Tonight

Bitter cold arctic air mass in place over the region

Freezing rain likely north of US 59 tonight into early Wednesday with accumulations of ice

Travel conditions will deteriorate this evening into Wednesday morning

Winter Storm Warning in effect from 600pm this evening along and north of US 59

Discussion:

Very cold arctic air mass in place over the region with temperatures in the low to mid 10’s. Next upper level storm system will quickly approach from the west today with rapidly increasing clouds as a coastal low begins to form over the middle TX coast. Moisture will once again be forced northward into the cold air mass and this will result in freezing rain likely for areas north of the freezing line. Expect the freezing line to extend from Matagorda Bay to Downtown Houston to Winnie tonight and then slowly move northward on Wednesday. Where exactly the freezing line will be during various time periods in uncertain and precipitation types will be changeable throughout this event. Expect ice accumulations tonight along and north of US 59 of .05 to .15 of an inch…with most significant impacts on bridges and overpasses, but cannot rule out impacts to trees and power lines…especially for those areas that get closer to the .10-.15 amounts.

As the freezing lines move north on Wednesday during the day…likely reaching a Columbus to The Woodlands to Liberty line, freezing rain will likely change to rain for the metro area. Areas along and north of HWY 105 may remain below freezing for the entire event and expect significant and potentially extremely damaging ice accumulations of ¼ to ¾ of an inch.

Freezing line moves back southward Wednesday evening and much of the area, except for the coastal counties will likely fall back below freezing. Yet another disturbance will approach and could produce a final round of light sleet or snow over portions of the area Wednesday night/early Thursday. Any left over water on roads from the Wednesday rains will likely refreeze Wednesday evening into Thursday morning.

15. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

Texas has always made a big deal about having its own power grid.

This, at least from the armchair perspective, makes that brag look a little silly now.

16. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

If the problem is generation I don't see how a unified Texas grid hurts you. The guy quoted earlier as seeing this coming was saying Texas kept prices lower by not requiring as much upkeep as we needed from the generators.

17. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Oh I’m sure we’ll all pay to make Texas electricity more reliable after this.

My hot water is out.

J.R. likes this.
  18. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

This is insane, sorry y’all have to put up with this. What disastrous incompetence.

Hippieloser and vstexas09 like this.
  19. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I f-ing hate how they are doing these controlled outages. They need to rotate faster. Sons of b****es!!!!

20. jchu14

jchu14 Contributing Member

Agreed on the
    Yea the power outage would've been absolutely unbearable if I didn't have a butane portable stove to make tea and soup.

Tip for anyone to looking to buy one: you can get the stove and butane canisters pretty cheap at any suprmarket in Chinatown. The stoves are about $20 each and butane canisters are about $5 for 4 cans.

I use my portable stove regularly as an extra burner, or take it to the backyard to to sear a steak or deep fry so I don't stink up the house.