1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How about Theo Ratliff for backup center?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by LooneyToon, Jul 25, 2004.

1. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

What do you expect from a poster named "Looney." :)

2. Sherlock

Sherlock Contributing Member

3. MustangPride73

.....you realize i was joking..........right:rolleyes:

4. LooneyToon

LooneyToon Contributing Member

good grief. Let me make myself clearer before i get bashed even more. Ok, since yu can't do a player & and TE, then send Taylor, Pike, A. Griff for Ratliff... then do the TE for Stoudamire and next yrs 1st rnd pick since we don't like those picks anyway.

There are 2 ways to skin a cat... did I just do it? :p

5. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

LooneyToon - The reason is there are over 20 NBA teams that would kill to have Theo Ratliff as their starting center. The Blazers could get a lot more for Ratliff in all likelihood if they wanted to deal him, which I don't think they want to do.

If you do fantasy trades, you can't just think of who you want, take what is considered our excess change, and propose to ship it for the player(s) you desire. You have to see what we have that we can part with and then say, "Who can use these players?", taking in to consideration the players' talents, age and length/amount of contract as well as the needs and direction of the team you're dealing with.

In this case, the Blazers have a legitimate center in Ratliff and 2 strong power forwards in Zach Randolph and Shareef Abdur-Rahim. To trade a legit starting center in a market that is size-starved (and paying plenty for any shred of size) for another power forward with a fat contract....... well, it makes absolutely zero sense.

Given Mo Taylor's history and his size of contract, the Rockets are having a tough time dealing him I'm sure. The Sixers had a ridiculous contract in Eric Snow and according to a report, they wouldn't take Mo Taylor for the chance to dump off Snow's bloated paperwork. Take in to consideration that the Sixers took Kedrick Brown and Kevin Ollie over Mo and that tells you something.

6. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Not True.

You can't aggregate the value of the TE along with a player's salary for the purpose of matching salary. That doesn't mean that you can't trade the TE with a player. Those are two different things. For example, a hypothetical deal of Boki + TE for Rip Hamilton is perfectly legal since Hamilton's salary fit's within the TE.

7. paxil

paxil Contributing Member

Yes, please trade Mo for Duncan and Parker and next three year first round pick plus a million dollar cash incentive.

8. RocketForever

RocketForever Contributing Member

I still wouldn't do it unless they throw in Ginobili too.