1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How about Monta Ellis?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Jeff Who, Jan 13, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Jeff Who

Jeff Who Member

The guy has been playing some incredible basketball this season. We all knew he could score and he actually scores a little bit more this season (0,5 points per game more) but what I am more impressed is his PASSING. The guy has really improves in that area and he is actuall the best playmaker the Warriors have.

Going from 5.5 apg to 7.9 is pretty impressive.

He should be an AllStar and who know, if he keeps this up maybe even MIP

2. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I wanted him. As a matter of fact, pull up that thread of kmart for monta and see those crazy responses.

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Monta Ellis is with Manu the third best SG right now behind the Mamba and Flash.

4. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

You'd have to put that in it's proper context. At that time, Yao was here and we were building around Yao. Martin was, by far, the superior piece around Yao, with his movement and ability to draw fouls and better shooting percentages and lower turnovers.

Now that Yao is gone, all that has changed. Monta would actually be a much superior fit to Kevin on this current team because of his quickness, and his ability to break down his man one - on - one. I, for one, was a huge proponent of Martin playing with Yao. Right now, with no Yao, we would be fortunate to get a player of Ellis' ilk for Martin and I would do it in a heartbeat.

5. gah

gah Member

Funny how a bad start from Martin can change the discussion. Ellis deserves the props, I'd take him in the 4th over Martin and Jopatmc is right, he makes much more sense now than in the Yao era, now let's see if Monta can keep this up.

6. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Talent is talent and that's what Monta has more. Regardless of Yao I still wanted him here.

7. jsuspect

jsuspect Member

please...take him off our hands @ GS!

his FG % is down from last year. only reason he's scoring slightly more is that he's taking more shots. assists are up b/c Curry is out. turnovers are also up.

if you want a one-on-one player so the Rockets can do marginally better this year, and tie up some $$$$, then by all means pull the trigger on this one.

talented, yes.
    key member of a winning team, no.

8. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

The biggest drawback on Monta right now is his character. Trouble finds him. I like his talent. But talent ain't everything. Monta is a high-risk player because he gets into so much trouble off the court. When a player has that kind of history, it's kinda like when is the other shoe gonna drop? When is the big trouble gonna hit? When is he gonna get caught with major dope, committing a felony, etc.? It's a huge hinderance to him and it's been one of the reasons Golden State hasn't been able to trade him in the past for anything of significant value.

If I were a GM, I'd think long and hard before trading for him for this one reason.

9. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I question his impact outside of the stat sheet. His isolations drive me crazy...

The Warriors have been consistently awful for as long as he has been their best player.

I think Steve Francis was a better player... (Especially in his second and third years...)

#9 RudyTBag, Jan 13, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2012
  10. mugrakers

mugrakers Member

Watching Monta without Steph Curry makes you think he's still an isolation player. If you have watched games that they have played together in you will notice that there offense is actually pretty free flowing. Monta has been playing with no Curry and Wright playing like garbage for the better part of the season and now hurt and Lee missing games as well. When Curry is back you will see that offense open up again.

11. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I wonder how much longer Monta Ellis can continue playing 40 mins/game with the condensed schedule and be effective.

12. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I watched it all last year. Monta Ellis is talented, but annoying to watch, just like Kevin Martin.

1. Kobe Bryant
    2. Dwayne Wade
    3. Manu Ginobili

After these guys, there is a significant dropoff, in my opinion...

*Monta Ellis
    *Kevin Martin
    *Eric Gordon
    *Ray Allen
    *Joe Johnson

13. pge71188

pge71188 Member

The Warriors already have Klay Thompson who will be Kevin Martin part 2

14. megastahr

megastahr Contributing Member

they arent trading him for martin...a curry martin backcourt would be as bad as brooks martin... light u up but give up just as much.

Monta no d stud, but he can make athletic plays and hold his own...Martin is just horrid.

15. BasketballMind

BasketballMind Contributing Member

Is he on the trading block or something?

16. rju1986

rju1986 Member

I'm thinking GoldenState 'should' get rid of, either, Monta Ellis <b>or</b> Steven Curry.
    I too would love to replace KMartin for Ellis now :(

17. BasketballMind

BasketballMind Contributing Member

Lol, but why would GS want Martin?

18. Htown's2kFinest

Were Martin's value was before this season, we might have been able to make a trade. BUT now hell no. Kevin Martin sucks now. He gets no foul calls, can't create his own shot, and plays defense worst than anyone on that GSW team. Rockets are probably gonna have to sell low on fools gold. sigh...

19. Htown's2kFinest

edit...