1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How about adding George McCloud instead of Pete Mickeal?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by AroundTheWorld, Jan 5, 2003.

1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

George McCloud has a career high of 22 assists...not too bad...he's probably slow, but seems to be a good shooter who knows something about passing the ball. I think he is available since he was cut by the Wizards a couple of months ago and I would assume we could get him for the minimum. He is a point forward. How about using him as something like a poor man's Odom (less athletic, but with more experience)...you remember Cuttino..."with Lamar handling the ball on the break and me and Steve on the wings, it's over"...

If I understand correctly, Mickeal was primarily hired as an athletic defender at the SG/SF position. Now that we have Posey, Mickeal seems expendable to me. McCloud would give us another option for how we run the offense.

Rice will get injured sooner or later anyway and then it would be good to have another veteran out there, one who can actually handle the ball. One of the primary goals would be to give Moochie some more bench time. I could see McCloud bringing the ball up, Francis and Mobley on the wings and Yao Ming/Griffin in the low and high post. When we have to stress defense, Posey could come in for McCloud at any given time, which could be a nice change of pace.

Just an idea.

2. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

McCloud can shoot and pass. We do need another shooter and I agree that Mickeal is expendable because of Posey/Hawkins,but I feel that Francis may be reluctant to give the ball to new players which would result in more problems.

#2 saleem, Jan 5, 2003
    Last edited: Jan 5, 2003
  3. Yao1134

Yao1134 Member

bring him in!

4. RocDreamer

RocDreamer Contributing Member

If he can still hit an open shot, I would welcome him. Because no one we have now can hit the open jumper consistently.

5. LAfadeaway33

LAfadeaway33 Member

Why does everyone think Rice is gonna get injured? I believe he's been pretty durable throughout his career except for last year. I'm not saying he's a great athlete but he's definetely not as injury prone as we make him out to be.

6. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

Ya, that is exactly what we need! Another player that only cares about offense. Another player that can't play defense!