1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How About A War on Child Prostitution and Child Molesters

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by gifford1967, Apr 5, 2006.

1. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the money that has been poured down a bloody hole in Iraq would have been much better spent here on battling child prostitution and child molesters. I would like to see large teams in every major metropolitan police force with the sole responsibity of investigating sex crimes against children. This would cost a fraction of what we are spending on Iraq each year.

I think this is an area (unlike the War on Drugs) where a robust, focused effort could make a real impact.

Protecting the most vulnerable in our society from sexual predators deserves to be among our highest priorities.

Sex tourism thriving in Bible Belt
    Tue Apr 4, 2006 10:01 AM ET

By Verna Gates and Mickey Goodman

ATLANTA (Reuters) - In a sleazy hotel room, "Brittany," then aged 16 and drugged into oblivion, waited for the men to arrive. Her pimps sent as many as 17 clients an evening through the door.

A "john" could even pre-book the pretty young blonde for $1,000 a night, sometimes flying in and then flying out from a nearby airport.

None of this happened in Bangkok or Costa Rica, places that have become synonymous with sex tourism and underage sex.

It took place in Atlanta, the buckle of the U.S. Bible Belt, where the world's busiest passenger airport provides a cheaper, more convenient and safer underage sex destination for men seeking girls as young as 10.

"Men fly in, are met by pimps, have sex with a 14-year-old for lunch, and get home in time for dinner with the family," said Sanford Jones, the chief juvenile judge of Fulton County, Georgia.

A new federal law passed in 2003 ensures that American sex tourists landing on foreign soil and hiring prostitutes under the age of 18 can get 30 years in prison.

But in Georgia, punishment for pimping or soliciting sex with a girl under 18 is only five to 20 years, according to Deborah Espy, the Deputy District Attorney of Fulton County.

"Men are coming to Atlanta to have sex with a child," said LaKendra Baker, project manager for the Center to End Adolescent Sexual Exploitation (CEASE).

Half of the street-level prostitutes in Atlanta are believed to be under 18, according to experts.

Others are booked through Internet sex sites and from social sites like Black Planet, where girls innocently post profiles, said Baker.

Just in March, police arrested a Canadian man meeting a 14-year-old girl he found through the Internet, said Cathey Steinberg, executive director of the Juvenile Justice Fund, which funds treatment for abused girls and prevention.

Another man drove from North Georgia, with a bag containing a teddy bear, a love note and condoms, snorting methamphetamine on the way.

He expected a 13-year-old girl, but instead found Heather Lackey, a corporal with the Peachtree City Police Department.

"People are stunned that Atlanta's the No. 1 sex center in the country," said Steinberg.

The FBI has identified 14 U.S. cities as centers for the sexual exploitation of children. In addition to Atlanta, they are Chicago, Dallas, Detroit, Las Vegas, Los Angeles, Miami, Minneapolis, New York, San Diego, San Francisco, St. Louis, Tampa, and Washington, D.C.

RUNAWAYS AT MOST RISK

In all, an estimated 200,000 to 300,000 underage girls are prostituted in the United States, according to a University of Pennsylvania study.

Most youths caught up in the sex trade are runaways, like Brittany, whose 19-year-old "rescuers" soon demanded a return on their investment.

"I didn't have any place to go. My mom hated me for what I was doing to the family," said Brittany, who did not want to be identified by her real name.

Up to 90 percent of runaways are believed to end up as prostitutes, with a third lured into prostitution within 48 hours. Some are sold into sexual slavery by their parents, according to a 2005 study by the Atlanta Women's Agenda.

Some get seduced by recruiters. Pimps use handsome young men and sometimes girls as fronts.

"A 16-year-old controlling a group of girls will not face the same penalties an adult would receive," said Patricia Crone, director of the Office of Juvenile Justice Demonstration Project.

Once snagged, the grooming process begins. Typically, the pimp's friends sleep with her, then come threats, beatings and gang rapes. Caresses and gifts, including drugs and alcohol, follow abuse, the Atlanta Women's Agenda study found.

Brittany said she was showered with fancy dinners, clothes and methamphetamine. But she also describes horror. "It made me feel dirty. It was demeaning," said Brittany.

The sex slaves are trafficked in and out of cities to supply sporting events, conventions or rap concerts.

During the 1996 Olympics in Atlanta, one man kept boys and hosted sex parties nightly, said Baker of the group CEASE.

The pimps even held an annual "Player's Ball" in Atlanta in 2003, openly buying and selling women and naming a "Player of the Year," according to the Atlanta Women's Agenda study.

The risks are worth it. While there are few reliable statistics, child sexual exploitation is believed to be the world's third-biggest money maker for organized crime, said Stephanie Davis, policy adviser to Atlanta Mayor Shirley Franklin.

One reason for the demand is the false assumption that youths are disease-free.

On the contrary, with tissues not fully developed, they are more prone to lacerations. HIV infections among females aged 16 to 21 are 50 percent higher than for men, a 1998 study in the Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndromes reported.

Atlanta has won two new federal grants to establish units to fight the trafficking of underage sex slaves and to hire more undercover detectives, said Carole Morgan, director of the North Central Georgia Law Enforcement Academy.

But the experts fear that may not be enough.

"It won't stop until people say, 'My city isn't safe for kids anymore,'" said Crone.

"This is a place where you can buy, sell or rent kids. It must be stopped."

http://today.reuters.com/misc/Print...1_N03210934_RTRUKOC_0_US-CRIME-SEXTOURISM.xml

2. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

I really don't think any of these "wars" work. Laws and prisons solve nothing.

3. gifford1967

Supporting Member

How would you handle someone who rapes children?

4. MR. MEOWGI

It depends, but I dont look to "wars" to solve the problem. It just won't. It never has.

5. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

with all due respect, this is so simplistic. they're not the ONLY solution to problems like this...but i wonder if the fear of imprisonment and a trial where all the facts of this stuff have kept someone from going down this road. my bet is it has worked as a deterrant that way. does that stop everyone? absolutely not. do we need to be more holistic in the way we approach social issues, seeking to eliminate the root of the problem, first? absolutely. but you don't throw the baby out with the bathwater. the laws are there because our culture finds molesting children reprehensible...and says that you ought to lose some liberties if you're caught doing that...as much as anything, to prevent you from harming some other child again. there's absolutely an important function in that.

6. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

What does it depend on?

7. MR. MEOWGI

I didnt say get rid of laws for a society. I'm talking about "we need a war" on this or that, it never works. It's also true that ultimately laws do not solve anything.

8. MR. MEOWGI

Time of day.

9. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

I would support spending every single dollar we now spend on the drug war on efforts to reduce child p*rnography, molestation, and prostitution. If done appropriately, we could cut off the source by establishing safe sites for runaways and counseling for them and their families so that the young'uns never get seduced by the pimps in the first place. Then, give pimps a mandatory minimum of 20 years and we could slow the practice down. In addition, regulating of-age prostitution would cut down on the underage market.

10. MadMax

ok..i misunderstood...when you said laws and prisons i assumed you meant laws and prisons. ;) :D

11. MadMax

hasn't in the countries where prostitution is legal.

12. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

Methinks we should seriously preach "oldies are goodies."

13. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

OK, gotcha.

14. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

Government cannot solve this problem.
    This must be solved at the level of the family.

Good laws enforced well would help but not solve the problem.
    Child p*rnography and child molestation are increasing at an alarming rate.

We have a moral collapse in progress.

15. gifford1967

Supporting Member

How about some specifics on what you would do with people who rape children.

I would argue that when a child rapist is caught, prosecuted, and imprisoned you have "solved" a problem- the problem of the kid who would have been their next victim. Now there are some situations in which this model may be worse than ineffective, such as the War on Drugs b/c it criminalizes a victimless crime and breeds a violent criminal culture where none need exist.

Look, I'm sympathetic to the distaste for the "war" metaphor, but I chose it deliberately to draw the link to Iraq.

16. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

See, this is one of those things where the cause is much more complex than the crime. Why do we have so many vulnerable, young runaways? What kind of support is society giving those kids (and their families) before they reach the terrible decision to run away? Why are there so many mothers and fathers who don't know how to be parents and more critically, can't deal with the absolutely forseeable issues their kid's puberty and growing independence? Why do we have a section of our society that can't distinguish between sex and love? Why do we have so many twisted people who never progressed beyond the Jr. High infatuation stage in their sexual and emotional development and thus seek out youngsters? What is it about our society that drives people to the artificial pleasures of paid-for sex? Why is it that most of these people also consume illegal drugs?

I guarantee most of the victims are poor, poorly educated, and come from family situations that are stressed with a multi-generational legacy of bad parenting and most likely drug abuse.

I guarantee that most of the people taking advantage likewise come from a multi-generational legacy of bad parenting and probably drug abuse, but have learned to function in society by carefully masking their true desires.

If you're really serious about this (and drug abuse) then you have to commit to getting every kid educated regardless of the obstacles. You have to give families tools so they can change the dynamic of their lives. That means (horrors) social programs, jobs programs, even perhaps an increase in the minimum wage and a bunch of other stuff. With any luck, this stuff diminishes greatl;y over the next 2-3 generations.

17. nyquil82

nyquil82 Contributing Member

Have him get raped by really really old people?

18. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

They also haven't implemented the other things I mentioned.

19. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

I agree with your premise but it is your solution that got us into this mess.
    I don't think more programs will fix this. Over the past 35 yrs the government has tried this in every shape way and form and only made the problem worse.
    The reason it is worse is because the problem is in relationships, character and self government.

1. You are right bad parenting and poor family relationships are a root cause but government programs are a part of the cause of this. Lets don't throw anymore gas on this inferno.
    2. The character of parents and families has changed dramatically and the character of the education industry and the government is a part of the cause of this.
    3. Without proper strength of character and relationship in the family self government breaks down. This is one reason we are experiencing so many poor choices by young people and an increase in deviant behavior on the part of adults.

It's a moral crisis that is very difficult to change from the top down. It must come from the family up.

20. gifford1967

Supporting Member

I agree that the causes are complex and rooted in the family. To address the roots of the problem will require a massive social effort, as you described. I think that is an effort work making, however, I also believe this is an area where we can make a big difference even if we only addressed end of the pipeline- shutting down child prostitution rings and aggressively going after sexual predators that target children.

The ironic and sad reality is that the vast majority of these sexual predators are the victims of child sexual abuse themselves.