1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How about a Rafer....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by KAS13, Jan 24, 2007.

1. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

He doesn't just shoot better when the challenge increases, just about his entire game improves (excluding free throws). And if you looked at the stats you also know that his 3pt % can be downright impressive during tough stetches. E.g., in the last 5 he's .432 from the 3 and .403 in the last 10. And if anyone wants to claim small sample, he's nearly 40% from the 3 on the road for the season.

Again, look at some of the situational stats to figure him out. In 3 games against SA, he's shot .463 (16.0 eff), 2 games against PHX .420 (20 eff), 2 games against Dallas .400 (incl 8-11 or .727 from long distance, 19.5 eff). So on average his shooting sucks against mediocre or crappy teams... can't we win those w/o our PG's shot?

The numbers tell a good story.

2. Rockets Dynasty

I still think Alston is a better player than Rockets fans give him credit as being.

I also still think he's good enough as long as he makes his shots.

I think he needs to maintain 36% on 3's but he needs to get his overall FG% of 36 this year, 37 last year, and 38 over his career up to around 40.

If he can do that then I think he is good enough for this team to win in the playoffs.

The main thing is getting Yao and T-Mac healthy together on the court for an extended time so he can get into a groove with his shot with all the open looks. Unfortunately, this hasn't happened with all of the superstar's injury problems.

3. Riz

Riz Contributing Member

Great Job Rafer!! Keep it up!!!!! :cool:

4. maw7079

maw7079 Member

Yeah.... Thanks Rafer. For doing what an average point guard would do. This is silly. This guy still SUCKS, until he can have at least as many good games to make up for all of those crappers he's had!

5. Cohen

Why even bother? A lurker who pops in with another 'he sucks'. You consider that a contribution? In what way?

His game against the elite, Dallas, Phoenix and San Antonio is not just good, but very good and in some repects excellent. So he sucked against Atlanta...or even 10 other teams. Will they be a challenge for us in the playoffs?

6. richirich

richirich Contributing Member

Denver will probably be one of our potential opponents. 5 of 18. Missed his last 9 shots if memory serves me. Bad 4q and OT. Jan 20th. wedged right in between the Phoenix and Spurs games.

Consistency?

Streaky.

But then I really do hope he continues to improve and become more consistent. It's up to him to make it real, it has nothing to do with anyone posting on this board - that is like zero effect good or bad on his game.

7. jdmb82

jdmb82 Member

I think its rich, in a sick, ironic sort of way how we all say that various players "suck," when the reality is that any one of them would mop the floors with us.

Rafer is doing a good job...
    An honorable mention needs to be made for the board, and their graciousness that inspired them to post this thread instead of another "RAfER SUkS oh my GoD how can you guys ThInk hE's a GoOd pLayer..." blah blah blah whiny bullsh!t.

Kudos!

8. rayrocket

rayrocket Member

May be you are fooled by the good story with numbers.

9. Luffy1

Luffy1 Member

Wow rafer doesn't really need to play great, cause apparently some people have such low expectations for him that when he plays better than an average pg, then he's a superstar!

10. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

Whoever says he's a superstar is delusional, but to say he's been doin' his job, sometimes more over the last 7 or so games is not. Most people here are quick to call out his bad games, and VERY slow to notice that he has good games too.

Seriously, the hate is clouding everyone's opinion. When he has strings of bad games again, rip him a new one. But he's actually on a string of good games against great teams. Give him props when he does well, since you all love to rip him when he's not.

How you can actually "hate" a person you don't personally know so much, I'll never understand. Maybe you, Luffy1, don't "hate" Alston, but many people certainly speak as if they do.

11. Luffy1

Luffy1 Member

I don't hate the guy personally and I don't think anyone does. I hate the fact that he's such a weak link on the team and that no matter how badly he plays, JVG still gives him heavy minutes.

12. Cohen

Hey, maybe you're right. Maybe those really aren't his numbers. Maybe it's a conspiracy.

:rolleyes:

13. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Against the Spurs in 3 games he's been fantastic (45.9% from the field, 41.2% from three) and he's been lights out from three-point against Dallas (8-11) .... but he has yet to hit a 2-point shot against them (0-9). Against Phoenix he had 1 good game out of 2 -- when Yao and T-Mac were out -- and is hitting roughly 27% of his threes (on 9 threes per game). Against Utah, a possible first round opponent, he's hitting 33% from the field. The Nuggets he's at 30.3% from the field.

I'm not taking anything away from Rafer for these good performances, but I wouldn't draw the conclusion that he is great against the West's best and disinterested/bad against scrubs.

14. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

You speak for many on this point.

15. kokopuffs

kokopuffs Member

I don't really mind Rafer shooting bad as long as we win. However, I *would* like to see him shoot over 50% more often. That will at least make it so that he's an offensive threat that has to be at least somewhat respected.