1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How about a Rafer....

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by KAS13, Jan 24, 2007.

1. johnrox

johnrox Member

someone has to remind of the play this because i forgot, but it wasn't on a full court press, but rox either stole it, or got a good rebound and rafer felt he could do it, and actually the way his teardrop was falling tonight, which was really a thing of beauty :) , it wasn't too bad

2. solid

solid Contributing Member

One of his best games as a Rocket, but, unfortunely, this doesn't happen often. That Rainbow tear-drop was highlight reel stuff.

3. stq

stq Member

Now you guys know why JVG plays him even when his shoots aren't falling.
    Because Rafer still plays great defense, because he still runs offense, because he can still bring the ball up to the court until heavy pressure.

4. Rainkky

Rainkky Member

Man,Good job.
    Rockets is champion.

5. KAS13

KAS13 Contributing Member

I'm certainly not one to say he deserves to go without criticism. He's had a tough year shooting the ball and obviously fans are going to be frustrated.

However, they don't see Rafer the team leader, rafer the hard worker and Rafer as being one of the guys who always steps up in the locker room (good or bad). The guy who shows up to work on his game all the time.

My only point was to give him some credit (and I appreciate everyone who did) if you're going to tear him apart consitantly. Honestly, he's the best we have. VSpan can't keep his mouth shut (and thinks he's too good to adjust his game,lol and JL (while a hard worker too) isn't as good as Skip).I just wanted to give him some appreciation for the way he shut down Parker and played a very good game against one of the best teams in the league.

He loves his fans and instead of throwing him under the bus I just wanted to give him a thread showing some support instead of all the negative for a change. Great win and of course let's give the same credit to TMac who played like his old self tonight.

6. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

Especially that bringing the ball up the court part. There was an ugly sequence in which Luther tried to bring the ball up on three straight possessions and each time we lost like 16 seconds off the shot clock in the process due to the Spurs' full court press. That was what keyed their run.

7. johnrox

johnrox Member

yeah, this is what i remember, rafer didn't go 1on3 because of full court pressure, it as because of some other play that happend.

ne ways, the spurs did a good job of taking the ball away from rafer at the end, and having head being PG under heavy pressure is not a good thing...

deckard, if there is one person who I want to bring the ball up under full court pressure, it would be rafer, he's got the best handles, so don't sweat it because of rafer handling the ball

8. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

Rafer played superb tonight. He deserves credit. And his defense was good because it fit into the team defensive concept. Rafer can't possibly contain Tony Parker one on one but he did a good job of pushing Parker to the teeth of the defense.

If Rafer could just give us this type of game consistently instead of it being a twice a year highlight game, I would be extremely happy. Hopefully he'll keep it up.

9. KDavis

KDavis Contributing Member

Raefer had a good game and f he didnt we would have lost. Considering we had 20+ turnovers as were still able to pull out a W. He stepped up tonight and deserves the praise for all the crap he gets around here.

10. Rockets111

Rockets111 Contributing Member

Rafer's play has been the definition of inconsistent this season but it's good to see that he often plays well against the big boys:

vs. Dallas (W) 14 pts, 12 asts, 4 stls 4-6 3s
    (L) 12 pts, 5 asts, 1 stl, 4-5 3s
    vs. SA (L) 12 pts, 4 rebs, 2 asts, 2-4 3s
    (W) 12 pts, 9 asts, 2-7 3s
    (W) 19 pts, 7 asts, 3-6 3s
    vs. LAL (L) 4 pts, 1 ast, 0-6 3s
    (L) 19 pts, 10 asts, 1-6 3s
    (W) 20 pts, 5 asts, 4-9 3s
    vs. Utah (L) 15 pts, 4 asts, 3-8 3s
    (W) 14 pts, 8 asts, 4-9 3s

He's had his share of shooting clunkers in there, but for the most part, he's played very well against the West's top-tier teams.

11. KAS13

You know you love him........... :)

12. johnrox

johnrox Member

and tonight how bad was his shot selection? one bad shot, one i say, and if you're complaining about his teardrop tonight, this was his best teardrop night, find another night to complain

13. KALIKULI

KALIKULI Contributing Member

I got to give to Rafer on the last possesion at 4th when it was needed. Great game tonite. Way to go Rafer!

14. KAS13

Thanks for the support of Skip for all those who posted in this thread. Good to see fans who are willing to give him their support after a tough season

15. Darrinlane

Darrinlane Member

I'm just pissed off that V-span didn't get a chance . ...We will never win against anyone decent without our 2nd round allstar that never gets a chance. Damn Van Gundy..we need to fire him right now.

16. rocket3forlife2

yeah he had a good game tonight..another thing I noticed is he shoot the long three ball better then he does the regular three.

17. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

According to Bill Walton, Rafer out played than the French Spanoulis. :eek:

Good game Rafer!!

18. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

2 things I noticed:

1. No JLIII.

2. Rafer is a much better shooter when he is able to step into the shot, especially from the right side.

19. KAS13

:D I was waiting for one of these. I know you're being sarcastic but I was waiting for someone to fire in some ignorant hating like that.

20. hotblooded

hotblooded Member

I think lucas stopped playing after bonzi came back

hence Head became back up PG
    the rotation today looked like

Dike/Hayes
    Juwan/Bonzi
    Battier/Bonzi
    Tmac/Bonzi
    Rafer/Head