1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How abot trading Brooks to keep Lowry?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dakeem1, Jul 14, 2010.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

No idea, I would be willing to wait and see what Morey and company think is best.

If a deal comes up and they want to move Brooks or Lowry and it makes the team better, I am fine with it.

DD

2. roslolian

roslolian Member

Kyle Lowry can't start simply because of Yao Ming. Samfisher already said it, Yao doesn't really need a creator. What he needs are pgs who:

1. can throw him the ball in such a way that he can catch it
    2. be able to score when he throws them the outlet pass

Both Lowry and Brooks are terrible at getting passes to Yao, simply because Yao is such a hard person to pass to (esp. in light of his injury). He takes forever to get position in the post, and when you do pass him the ball his lack of mobility means the pass should be have pin-point accuracy, and be thrown in such a way that he can catch it without the opponent being able to get it.

However Brooks is a better scorer than Lowry. Brooks can hit the outside and mid-range jumpers with some degree of accuracy, while Lowry cannot. Lowry depends on getting to the ft line to get his points, and how can he do that with Yao clogging the paint? Ditto for KM and Scola, these guys are all good creators already, what they need is another shooter who can give them spacing for their one-on-one moves. That's why for THIS team, Lowry shouldn't be starting.

3. BarkleyHater84

Noooo! He was either our best or second best (next to Scola) last season (KMart came in too late for consideration) and trading him would be dumb! We need this guy, for now at least and trading him for a backup center for a pontential future all-star PG would be a bad decision....

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

True, which is why most of the entry passes are from the wings.

I suspect Chase will become very good at feeding Yao, it is one of the reasons I like him going forward.

DD

5. PeppermintCandy

Lowry was much better at getting Yao the ball in the low post than Brooks was, at least two seasons ago. However, I think Brooks will do a better job this season. (He can't do much worse.)

And of course, Lowry has never had to do it consistently against the opposing team's starting PG.

6. NBA_Elite

NBA_Elite Member

1. Defense wins championships

2. AB is scoring 20ppg per game, how about next season? 15ppg? his trading value will be reduced

3. Martin and AB are both undersized for their positions and their defense are bad. I dun want to see Yao hurts again because of collisions.

People keep saying AB fits Yao better, i think AB+Martin in the starting line up would cause Yao into early foul troubles. how about one of the come off the bench and be the sixth man?

If we can trade AB for an allstar, i'd do it.

7. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

This is probably worthy of its own thread, but check this comparison of the 1995 MOST IMPROVED PLAYER vs. the 2010 MOST IMPROVED PLAYER

One 5-11 scoring PG in his mid 20's was vastly superior, in shooting at least, and vastly more efficient in pretty much every single category.

Guess which one.

[​IMG]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

#127 SamFisher, Jul 14, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2010
  8. pewpew

pewpew Rookie

Nash has no def but hes elite pg no doubt. AB can shot the ball, thats the most important thing for this team and hes already all-star lvl. i wont even trade him for chris paul. AB+Martin would cuz yao into foul troubles? LOL, its AB's team and u guys keep talking liek yao is still a 20/10 all-star. we do need a real center who can protect the paint, not a 20mins backup center liek yao. kkggthx.

9. CXbby

CXbby Member

-Overwhelmingly negative response from BBS's general populous. CHECK
    -Support from advanced basketball metrics aka Morey's MO. CHECK
    -DD's kiss of death. DOUBLE CHECK ;)

Although I don't necessarily agree with the OP's proposal of back up PGs and Cs, as long as we get back the right value, I have a feeling this is exactly Morey's plan.

1. 6M/year is great value for Lowry the PLAYER, but not necessarily for his 20 something minute/game role.

2. Aaron Brooks, a legit 20 point scorer given the opportunity, will be getting at least 9M+/year, fairly or not. Strictly as PLAYERS, this is not as good value as Lowry. The fact that his backup will be making 6M makes it even worse.

3. Moreyball aka Moneyball is all about VALUE. And he will let none go to waste.

From this I just don't think Morey sees Lowry as a backup, longterm. Especially not the backup to someone making close or above 10M. Rightly or wrongly, it simply goes against all his principles.

Aaron is coming off his best season as a pro, and it is no coincidence that it was on a lottery team without its best player, taking on a featured role on offense. His perceived value is at an all time high, and looking at that list of MIP winners, all signs point to another team overpaying. Morey knows this, and unless he is willing to go against his own principles and shell out 16M+ on the PG position alone, I doubt he will be sitting idlely.

Packaging AB, Hill, along with our expirings and Knicks picks will probably be the clearest path to that elusive second allstar we have been waiting for.

#129 CXbby, Jul 14, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 14, 2010
    1 person likes this.
  10. rocketman619

rocketman619 Member

Are you guys all crazy? Did you not watch the rocket games at all. It's not even a question of which point guard to keep. The obvious answer is Aaron Brooks. He can take over a game without question. If it wasn't for how much his play has improved, this team would not have been in the running for the playoffs. Don't get me wrong, Lowry is a great, tough player that has good intangibles. But he is a back up and that is at best. Especially on this rockets team.

1 person likes this.
  11. wekko368

wekko368 Member

If that's your belief, how can you rationalize Ginobili/Odom coming off the bench?

12. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Odom isn't better than Artest, that is why he comes off the bench. And Ginobili plays starters minutes, whoever they start at the 2 usually only play 10 minutes a game. AB is not only starting but also playing more minutes than Lowry

13. wekko368

wekko368 Member

What about in the prior year when Odom played 78 games and started only 32? Are you saying that Luke Walton and Vladimir Radmanovich were better than Odom?

In the 07-08 season, Michael Finley started ahead of Ginobili and averaged 27 mpg. Ginobili averaged 31 mpg.

14. slickricky

slickricky Contributing Member

It is time to trade brooks

We just made a huge investment in Kyle Lowry and Brooks is stock is as high as it is going to get with him still in his rookie contract...

I say we package brooks/battier/jefferies/ariza/ NY Pick

for

Danny Granger/TJ Ford

sign brad miller and scola and we are ready to roll

Ming/Miller/Anderson
    Scola/Hill/PP
    Granger/Budinger
    Martin/Taylor
    Lowry/Ford

yes Lowry cant shot a lick but neither can Rajon Rondo so what do we do we surround him with shooters ALA the Celtics... Granger/Martin/Yao trio is the best we could ask for and they give us the best chance at a ring considering all the changes in the NBA

indiana needs to rebuild and they get ariza and brooks to do so... and a crap load of cap space next season to do whatever they desire as well as NY pick to combine with there own... that should be two top 10s

15. W22_STREAK

W22_STREAK Member

yes. brooks is very tradeable.

but only for chris paul.

16. rockets934life

rockets934life Contributing Member

You hold onto Aaron until the deadline and see what Kahn does with Rubio. Not saying trade AB to Minnesota but if Rubio becomes avilable make the play for him then and move AB for a star.

17. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

You must be like the rapper, Slick Rick.

Really, you must have a damn eye-patch on because I don't think you meant to type what you just did.

It is NOT time to trade an all-star talent.

18. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

it's a good thing you started this thread, since there isnt one about trading brooks to keep lowry...

19. RMGEEGEE

RMGEEGEE Contributing Member

You're giving up way too much in that scenario...

Granger is pretty good, but I wouldn't say he's worth half of our assets.

You forget that Brooks is lights out from three. Also the players like Ariza/Battier are going to put us into contention in the long run.

If you wanna look at the picks, those could be our future. The one for next year is incredibly valuable, but then again, idk how deep the draft is.

20. rockets018

rockets018 Member

While I really like picking up Granger, we really get hurt on the defensive end in this trade.

Possibly our two best defenders are being traded and were receiving a scoring SF, and table setting PG ( which we already have in Lowry)

All in all, I don't think there is a chance in heck that Morey would offer/ agree to such a trade (just by going off of a prior acquisitions that Morey has made) . But if this was available I think Morey should jump all over it.