1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How abot trading Brooks to keep Lowry?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dakeem1, Jul 14, 2010.

1. Downtownbrown

Downtownbrown Member

Lowry might not fit in with the first team. When Yao kicks the ball out and Lowry is open for three it might not turn out like you want. When he drives the lane Yao is there and clogs up the middle.

2. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

Yikes. In the OP's deal, Morey would be getting Morey-ed. Morey would typically be on the other end of that deal, Morey-ing the other guy. Morey should stick to being Morey. Morey.

As to the other points raised, anyone is tradeable if it improves the team. We can do better than that with AB.

3. MightyMog

MightyMog Member

Yao has.......

PF
    Scola - Mid range shot,
    PP - Shows he can hit the 3
    Hill - okay we know he can't shoot
    Anderson - its possible we can see him at the PF position, and we know he can shoot the 3 ball.

SF
    Ariza - He can hit the 3 if he spots up
    Shane - We know he loves that corner 3
    Bud - We know he can shoot

SG
    KM - ya he can shoot
    JT - Ya we know he can't give the ball up, but he can shoot

PG
    Lowry - we know he can't shoot but boy he picks up a lot of FT.

The one major advantage of a Lowry starting is

Yao + KM + Lowry = Alot of FT's which may make up difference (sorry in the playoffs they still give a ton of FT)

4. phantoman

phantoman Contributing Member

I'd do a trade that sent AB to NO for CP3. Considering that he is now on the trading block.

And try to bring in Granger too

Not sure if this would work:

AB, JJ, Hill, JT+pick For CP3

Shane, Andersen, pick for Granger

I think I would be dreaming......

5. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

I understand how good Lowry is at getting to the foul line, but if you throw it in to Yao and everything gets clogged up down low, what good will it do if he kicks it out and Lowry gets the ball and goes into the lane where the entire defense is? Sure, Lowry may get to the free throw line, but he may not get fouled at all and force up a terrible shot.

6. Rocket...AB

Rocket...AB Member

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NON O NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO AB IS WAY BETTER THEN KYLE SO NO NO NNONONONONO

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

If your main strategy is to rely on the refs making a call, you are in trouble.

Getting to the FT line is a great ancillary strat, but you have to be able to score the ball.

Lowry is a nice PG, but he could not beat out Mike Conley........I like him in Houston as our backup.

I think Morey matches.

One thing to consider, we have about $18 million tied up in the SF position ....3 MLE players.

So having a couple of MLE players at the PG position might be acceptable.

DD

8. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

He couldn't??

9. DaDakota

Supporting Member

He backed him up in Memphis......so I guess not....

DD

10. Entropy

Entropy Member

With the way things have been going with spanish players, the NBA mystique has diminished. There is absolutely no assurance that Lull will come over here to play (and I'd love to him play for the rockets). So letting go of one in order to wait for the other who may or may not come is a fool's move to me.

We do have to keep our better players. We have to keep Lowry.

11. DaDakota

Supporting Member

I agree with this, I think Lowry will be matched.......I just hope Kyle is ok as the backup.....

DD

12. melvimbe

melvimbe Member

We have more then enough role players, trading AB for more doesn't make sense. It does make sense to use him to get a guy like Granger. I think we would likely have to include one of our starters at the 1, 2, or 3 (AB, KM, or Ariza) in that deal, and AB obviously has the most value. As well, I think Lowry is the backup most ready to start (long term) amoung Taylor, Bud, and Battier.

In short, definitely want to keep Lowry, but it's not my money.

13. MightyMog

MightyMog Member

Why does Yao have to kick it out to Lowry, why not Scola for a mid-J, why not KM, why not Shane in the corner 3, why not Ariza for a 3.....

All I am saying is, if we get somebody like Granger for AB, you do it. Because with Lowry he is PG who is capable of starting. We know he can Defend, Pass, and draw FT (this is the same mode as Rondo, well more like mini-Rondo)

I rather see

Lowry
    Yao
    Granger
    Scola
    KM

that looks far better than

AB
    Yao
    Ariza/Shane
    Scola
    KM

Because Granger can score and play D, Lowry covers up the Defense.

Lowry(4FT at 20 minutes of playing time) + Granger (avg 7FT) + KM (7FT) + Yao (6FT) === many many FT attempts

You got a starting court that can average 24 + FT a game... Not to mention putting opposing players on the bench early..

14. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I don't have to just blindly believe that I'm right - I can actually prove it with stats, such as their on/off ratings via 82games.com Whether or not he's starter is irrelevant (maybe we're havign the Usage v. Efficiency debate but I don't think we are here.)

1) First, you are artificially divorcing getting fouled and going to the line from the ability to drive the lane - completely illogical and just plain dumb. A guy who second s to the line and hits two free throws helps you as much (and actually MORE useful b/c of foul trouble) than a guy who hits a layup.

2) More importantly, and more illuminating you are fabricating this assumption about hiim being "a better finisher in the paint." out of thin air.

If not, what statistic are you basing this on? Because the statistic I'm basing it on (other than watching them play) shows that Lowry shoots a better percentage in the paint.

via 82games.com

2009-2010

Inside shooting:
    % of all shots taken/FG%
    Brooks: 27%/49%
    Lowry: 40%/52%

So, Lowry not only shoots more often in the paint as a portion of his shots, but he shoots at a higher percentage than Brooks, and he is twice as likely to go to the line when he does so.

Please tell me in what parallel universe this shows how Brooks is "a better finisher"

Ah yes, straight out of the DaDakota play book. When somebody disagrees with you, even if they are able to provide statistical evidence that your prior assumptions are incorrect, and you're able to provide none, simply say they "Lack b-ball knowledge" or "have no fundamental knowledge of basketball"

Maybe you should join his little Ignore List petition that would keep reality from rearing its ugly head into Unquestioned Assumption Fantasy Town.

15. NBA_Elite

NBA_Elite Member

Rajon Rondo?

16. thekad

thekad Member

Are we still arguing over who's better between our starting PG and our backup PG? You would think last year would have shut that debate down. Lowry is the better defensive player. Brooks is the better offensive player. With Yao, Brooks is the much better fit.

17. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

Because the other team won't be using their man to double Yao. If Lowry's on the court, the other team's going to see him and instantly decide to double Yao with the PG. Assuming Yao kicks it out of that situation and the ball reverses to the open player, Lowry's going to be sitting wide open at the 3-point line with the ball in his hands. That'll lead to either him taking a shot that he's most likely going to miss, or him driving into the crowded lane and either getting a foul call or throwing up a horrible shot because he's expecting a foul that didn't come. Like DD said, I'd rather not leave it in the refs hands, honestly.

On the other hand, if you've got Brooks at PG, the other team has nobody to double off of that wouldn't easily be able to knock down the open 3-pointer. That would give them two options:

1) Try to take let their C defend Yao one-on-one down on the block... which is, more times than not, a victory for the Rockets. Or;

2) Double off of somebody (probably Ariza) and take your chances on an open 3-pointer.

I'd take either one of those options over Lowry sitting at the 3-point line, wide open with the ball in his hands.

Now, if you're idea comes into fruition, and the Rockets can give up AB for Granger, then I say pull the trigger, but that's probably not going to happen.

18. MightyMog

MightyMog Member

Problem is AB bounce pass to Yao is sooooo low, combined with Butter Finger Yao = Turnover............

Yes I wouldn't trade AB for crap.

AB trade for Crap/role players = no no no no no no
    AB trade for a Granger Type = yes yes yes yes yes

19. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

To be fair, Lowry doesn't always throw the best passes in to Yao either.

Regardless, I certainly don't disagree with you, but AB doesn't HAVE to throw it in to Yao. They can just as easily let Kevin Martin or Trevor Ariza throw it in.

Exactly how many Danny Granger types are out there? You aren't going to find many teams that need a scoring PG and have a young SF that can not only score 20+, but play excellent defense as well that they are willing to give up.

20. NBA_Elite

NBA_Elite Member

If u have AB and K-Mart in the starting line up with yao...offensively, it would be amazing, defensively, I'd say D-wade type of player would keep drawing fouls from Yao and Yao might hurt his leg again because of collions.