1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How abot trading Brooks to keep Lowry?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dakeem1, Jul 14, 2010.

1. redao

redao Member

there is no way for Rockets to get a superstar in trades. stop the pipe dream

2. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

OK....

Signed,
    Drexler, Barkley, Pippen (vomit), and McGrady

3. Rocket_4_Life

Rocket_4_Life Member

N.O. needs assets to fill holes. It's possible we let Lowry walk, and trade for Collison.

This is the move I'd like to see.

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Lots of people with a Lowry crush......

A tough PG, that plays solid D....and is a below average shooter.

Mancrushes all around.

Don't worry, Morey will match.

DD

5. mylilpony

mylilpony Member

the jazz got jefferson.

6. jason3333

jason3333 Member

better idea, why dont u trade ur membership on clutch fans for a brain!

7. koby1868

koby1868 Member

This is probably one of the worst threads i've seen. Why would you trade an allstar calliber point guard (Brooks) and let a mediocre point guard (Lowry) start on a championship level team. I say we don't match Lowry's offer from the Cavs which is clearly a terrible contract and he is being paid way over what he deserves and we sign someone else. For that money I'd rather have Nate who has the potential to put up 20 in a game easy. Plus he keeps us fast and he's emotional and keeps the fans entertained.

8. choujie

choujie Member

I disagree. It' just as hard to replace Lowry.

Unless Yao goes down again, Lowry will be more important for the current make up of the team. With Martin, We need backcourt defense and rebouding more than ever. And decision making too.

9. rmoreno

rmoreno Member

Rajon Rondo??????????

10. koopa

koopa Member

THis thread might be dumber than mine...heck..a lot dumber!

11. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

It's telling that the biggest rejoinder to the argument that Lowry brings a set of undervalued skills to the table vis-a-vis Brooks whose primary attribute (scoring) is overvalued and overrated on this board is the that "Yeah but Brooks scores a lot more!"

If he truly was an all-star caliber point guard, he'd be posting efficiency ratings like other all stars. He doesn't.

12. waytookrzy079

waytookrzy079 Member

According to your logic and from what i've gathered from your posts... you're saying that Lowry's a better player than AB. Now lets look at some stats...

Per 36 mins/game for Aaron Brooks:
    19.6 ppg
    5.3 assists/game
    0.8 steals/game
    3.6 free throw attempts/game
    2.6 3 pointers made/game
    +15.79 Efficiency rating

Per 36mins/game for Kyle Lowry:
    13.5 ppg
    6.8 assists/game
    1.4 steals/game
    5.7 free throw attempts/game
    0.75 3 pointers made/game
    +11.76 Efficiency rating

You're right..the gap is narrowed when you factor in FTA, defense, etc. But when you have a center who will continue to draw attention from defenders, you need to have players surround him with SHOOTERS.

Hakeem had a lineup with Smith, Maxwell, and Horry... all shooters in the 93-94 season

Hakeem had a lineup with Smith, Drexler, Elie, and Horry...all shooters in the lineup in the 94-95 season.

Like another poster said..AB's defense is highly under rated. He played on a terrible defensive team over all.. his weakness was made out to be more than what it really is because of a 6'6 center. Add in YAO...not only does his defense automatically get better because of paint protection.

His assists WILL go up for a couple of reasons...
    1) one year older, wiser, more experience.
    2) feed YAO - Yao will not be in the LOW-Post 100% of the time because that's murder to his feet. Rockets will mix it up by playing him in the HIGH-post more...similar to what they did with Vlade in Sacramento.

13. Deep Waters

Deep Waters Member

The only way we trade brooks is if he is packaged in for a superstar, an all star if you will....

PG wise:

Ab doesn't move unless we get D-Will or CP3...As much as I love Nash, Brooks has many more years left than Steve and I couldn't do it.

Move Brooks to save money? Much less ,to retain Kyle? Get out of town. You must also consider our roster. Yao needs shooters. Sure Lowry could use his open look to pump and drive, but we generally need players around the arc for, not if but when, our big man is doubled, tripled.

14. bellclare1

bellclare1 Member

Enough with the nonsense brooks cause all types mismatches with his speed, quickness and shooting abilty. I don't lowry basically pushing the lakers to a game 7 two years ago and kobe saying twice "we just couldn't stop him he cut us up". I believe lowry is a good piece but can be replaced, that is to much money for him. As for the rondo comparison cmon be serious...

15. MightyMog

MightyMog Member

Its been proven, you don't need a All-Star PG to win a championship. (Sorry Nash, Paul, Deron......)

If you can trade AB to bring in a Granger type, you do it...

Somebody name the last Elite All Star PG(not some aging ex-all star PG) to win a championship as the leading score on the team or any elite All Star PG...............

Let me help you
    Tony Parker..... who had PRIME Tim Duncan (the greatest PF ever). As of right now we don't even have the "Greatest" player on this team.

16. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

We've tried the RudyT era spokes & wheel model with Yao repeatedly and it hasn't really worked, and we've had some good spokes (Head e.g. had some great shooting seasons, but there were of course others.

This argument doesn't really hold water. DD likes to bring it up in the context of assists "it's unfair, because Brooks ahs to play on the Rockets with Chuck Hayes!!!!" What team do you think Lowry plays on? And the fact is that on a comparative basis, even playing with this same motley crue last season, the Rockets were better on defense when Lowry was on teh court than off, and worse when Brooks was on the court.

See my previous post in this thread. Yao doesn't really garner a high proportion of assisted field goals, and he slows the pacing down quite a bit - how do you think raw assists are going to go up?

17. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Lol, believe what you want, but if you were right, AB would not be the starter, which he clearly is. Why is Brooks passing poor? Adelman's system is not set up for a PG to get assists. Kyle runs far more, thus why he gets great assist numbers. In set pieces Lowry is no better a pass than Brooks.

Brooks is a far better shooter. He is a far better penetrator and a better finisher in the paint. Just because Lowry can get to the free throw line at a higher rate does not make him the better player.If you think it does, you know very little about basketball.

18. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

You don't trade Brooks now because Yao Ming is coming back. Around the big fella, you want guys that can not only shoot the ball, but can create if things break down. Brooks isn't quite the passer you'd want, but that's a drawback I can live with.

As of right now, the other team would have to choose between Brooks, Martin, and Ariza as to who they would leave open to double Yao with. That's not an easy decision by any stretch of the imagination. While Ariza may be the weaker shooter, he's shown that he can knock down 3-pointers with high consistency when other teams double off of him (aka, the playoffs two years ago).

If you put Lowry out there with Yao... the choice becomes very obvious, and it hurts the team because of it.

Right now, keeping Brooks is very important. If Yao gets hurt this season (*knock on wood*) then you think about giving Brooks up to bring in an all-star caliber player.

19. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

i am beginning to think I'm one of SamFisher's aliases we agree far too much on way too many topics to not be the same person

20. utcarbs

utcarbs Member

Lowry is a better Point guard and defender than Brooks. Lowry also makes the second unit better than they are with his pace and his passing. However...

With Yao back, they need to surround him with shooters. Brooks can shooot and Lowry is at or below average.

This system needs brooks but I also think it needs lowry for the second unit.