1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[HoustonTexans.Com] Sharper Released

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by rikesh316, Apr 1, 2005.

1. rikesh316

rikesh316 Member

http://www.houstontexans.com/news/news_detail.php?PRKey=1601

Texans release Sharper

HOUSTON - The Houston Texans released LB Jamie Sharper, it was announced today.
    The nine-year veteran was taken by the Texans in the 2002 expansion draft from the Baltimore Ravens.

“We want to thank Jamie for all he's done over the past three years and we wish him well,” Texans general manager Charley Casserly said.

Sharper (6-3, 239), originally drafted by the Ravens in the second round from the University of Virginia in 1997, started all 48 games at middle linebacker since 2002 for head coach Dom Capers in the Texans 3-4 scheme.

“He’s been extremely productive for us,” Capers said. “We wish him well with whatever team he ends up catching on with.”

The Texans currently have 69 players on the active roster

2. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

3. bobmarley

bobmarley Contributing Member

so far this offseason we have been pretty passive on the FA market. Which makes me think the texans are trying to make something big happen either in the draft or via trade. I just really dont believe CC would take the offseason off and rest on his laurels. I see us either making a move up in the draft and getting an impact player or possibly making a trade for a good WR or Safety

4. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

So what, if any, of his salary counts against the cap? Is there a pro-rated portion of his signing bonus, or is it all gone? What does the Texans cap situation look like, anyway?

5. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

Shaper was scheduled to make over 6 million dollars this season, I believe that about 1.5 million count against the cap this year. This leaves the Texans somewhere around 10-11 million under the cap. Casserly said today that this was strictly a salary cap move and if there were no cap, Sharper would still be a Texan. ny free agents left out there we might be making a run at? Shaun Alexander anyone?

Here's a good Texans cap page:
    http://www.houstonprofootball.com/cap.html

EDIT: Just saw that rezdawg posted the same thing about Alexander a little earlier. Great thought!

6. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

Now both he and the cheerleader are gone.

7. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Sharper's cap number was actually $4.75 million. That's a fairly signifcant amount.

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/ssistory.mpl/sports/3114200

8. RocketFan007

RocketFan007 Contributing Member

His cap figure was 6.125 million, he save 4.75 by cutting him.

9. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I misunderstood what you wrote. I thought you meant the Texans only save $1.5 million. My bad.

Carry on.

10. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

This is odd. Reading between the lines, I think the Texans are going to trade up in the draft or trade for a Pro Bowler. They could be speculating on June cuts, but I consider this doubtful.

11. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Obviously a cap move, but I wonder what they have up their sleeve?

An FA?
    Alexander was actually mentioned during the season about a possible signee. I really like Davis though, he's got a lot of potentail.

Draft Trade?
    DJ would fill in for Sharper very nicely.

12. redgoose

redgoose Contributing Member

I know Sharper's position is filled now, but since the Texans aren't using all that cap money to sign free agents i don't really see the point in cutting him. Maybe we could have traded Sharper during the season to another team if someone got hurt, or if Greenwood does.

If they do pick up someone, i'll understand. But it would have to at least be a good 1st rounder for us to need Sharper's money to pay him. But haven't most the impact FA's already been picked up? :confused:

13. rrj_gamz

rrj_gamz Contributing Member

IMO, Sharper was worth the money and cap hit as he was the few consistent players...having said that, who do you put to fill in the void...Has to be something big, or else its worthless to do...

14. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

We have Peek, Babin, Greenwood and Wong. Not too bad.