1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston's 'Red Zone' difficulties: Losing our rhythm in the 4th quarter most every game

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Tuk88, May 9, 2014.

1. Tuk88

Tuk88 Contributing Member

Everyone knows playing offense and defense in the red zone (football) is completely different from the rest of the field. The same for the fourth quarter in basketball - you just can't play the same way, expecting the same results, because everyone's turning it up a notch, no longer conserving energy. Players with quickness are a lot harder to guard because they're putting in the extra effort. Harden doesn't have that kind of quickness, and largely negated by defenders putting in the extra effort. Neither does Howard. It would seem we don't adjust in the fourth quarter to account for that, based on the fact we lost every single fourth quarter in the series except one. Not only is that a consistent pattern, but it's far from what a championship team does.

What we do allow is an opposing player to get into a rhythm because we don't mix up our D, which is deadly if you're a quick player. Our offense doesn't mix it up either, so it also allows defenders to get into a rhythm guarding players who don't have a quick first step, like Harden and Howard. If there's anything that makes or breaks a game, it's whether a player is feeling it, in the rhythm, in the zone... or not. We seem to get out of ours, and allow others to get into theirs, at the most critical times. Yeah, I blame coaching too.

[​IMG]

2. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

The Rockets ranked 9th in the league in 4th quarter scoring at 25.4 points a game in the regular season (SOURCE).

If you're saying that we had trouble scoring in the playoffs in the 4th then yes I agree but the Rockets had no problem scoring in the regular season in the 4th. It might look like that at times but putting up 25-26 points a quarter isn't bad. What's bad is allowing the opposition to score just as much or more.

3. j3i

j3i Member

thanks for reminding me of the texan's red zone defense/offense

4. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Mchale gonna Mchale.

Poor schemes = Poor offense and defense = Poor late game success

5. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

And this is why mid-range shots become so valuable. Because against tough defenses - ANY open shot is probably a good shot.

6. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Adding Carmelo would improve the 4th quarter scoring. ;)

7. thejav

thejav Member

for both teams..

8. dznutz

dznutz Member

haren got tired

9. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

Seemed pretty obvious when we slowed down and played half court against more aggressive defense, we got killed. We took the foot off the gas too early at the end of too many close games this season.

10. drowsy12

drowsy12 Member

Ball got sticky

11. crimmy88

crimmy88 Member

We suck in 4th quarters because when games are close, we tend to tighten up our offense. Everyone ends up standing around and not wanting to commit mistakes. This is especially true why we almost always end up with hero-ball in the last 5 or so minutes. Ugh.

12. zipcrash

zipcrash Member

No. It happened in the regular season vs teams who forced half court.

13. i meow a lot

i meow a lot Member

at least melo brings his scoring in the playoffs and melo puts in some effort for rebounding and d

14. houtown

houtown Member

I read a TrueHoops article during the OKC series last season. Abbot i think his name said the 4th quarter and down the stretch is where coaching matters the most. He proceeded to criticize McHale as usual, but yeah, the guy still has a job. I thought it was a interesting perspective on coaching nonetheless.

15. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Rockets scored 107.7 ppg in the regular season. They scored 2 points less on average than each of the first 3 quarters. When the Rockets are not running, the half court offense is mediocre.

16. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Hell, I don't know about a "Red Zone," but I'm still seeing red after that loss. Dammit. :-(-

17. hooroo

hooroo Member

The Rockets offense isn't as good as people think it is. They go through too many in-game offensive slumps. Too often it's like watching the Pacers & Bulls sometimes. It shouldn't be surprising when they struggle in 4th quarters.

18. BonziWellsGOAT

We just need to move the bal guys. No sticky balls. Play harder.

Were talking about basketball here, it's easy, it's not like were trying to read a pop up book. guissssseeeeeeeee.

19. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

It has everything to do with coaching.

****! Another year of Mcfail!

20. langal

langal Contributing Member

Didn't we put up 19 points in the second half vs OKC?