1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston's Main Target: Chris Paul

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Da_Spark, Jul 21, 2010.

1. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I love it, but why would Orlando do it?

2. TManiAC

TManiAC Member

Youre missing the point, we want to prevent NYK from getting Paul and maximize the two first rounders they owe us. I doubt Orlando takes on Okafor to upgrade Nelson to CP3.

If we facilitate this trade to Orlando, we move many spots up the draft with the NYK picks. We also get the Orlando pick. We in turn maximize our chances for Granger and if we cant get an established player like Granger with our assets, we can always move up the draft to get a stud like Chris Paul at the pricetag of a John Wall.

3. TManiAC

TManiAC Member

Um... Chris Paul? Without having to take Okafor?

4. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

I would fire you if you're the GM of the Rockets. That's ridiculous to give away FREE assets just to prevent Paul to get to NY?? LOL...oh and get 1st round pick in return?? That's not good enough.

5. devilsdandruff

Yao4REAL going at TManiAC

6. TManiAC

TManiAC Member

You would rather have Paul go to the Knicks, Melo follow, and let our two Knicks picks fall to the low 20s?

I would rather take on Okafor, get two lottery picks from New York and Orlando's 1st.

Paul (then Melo) to New York would totally derail Morey's efforts in acquiring quality assets.

7. imailyang

imailyang Member

If we facilitate this trade to Orlando, we move many spots up the draft with the NYK picks. We also get the Orlando pick. We in turn maximize our chances for Granger and if we cant get an established player like Granger with our assets, we can always move up the draft to get a stud like Chris Paul at the pricetag of a John Wall.[/QUOTE]

I thought VC was in that trade? Things aren't going well for him here in Orlando I can tell you that much. D12 and Rashard weren't very friendly with him at the last charity event over here.

8. DdotConrad503

DdotConrad503 Member

:confused:

9. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Thats what i'm saying. Actually right now is whenwe need him. Also guys, we have the assets to get both Granger and Okafor. Why would you want to get one to trade for the other? I say if you are not able to acquire Paul with Okafor, go for Okafor only. Then go for Granger.

10. saitou

saitou J Only Fan

This is a huge risk trading away assets and taking on a bad contract to hope that NY does badly (who knows how they'll do in the East with Amare), hope the picks do well in the lottery, but not well enough to hit the top1 and top5 protections. This is madness.

11. TManiAC

TManiAC Member

I wouldnt really call Jeffries or David Andersen an asset.

Let me try and paint a picture for you.

We do this trade its as if:

TMac and Carl Landry for Kevin Martin, Emeka Okafor, two lottery picks from NYK and 1st rounder from Orlando Magic. Those lottery picks and 1st rounder from Orlando (in addition to our own first rounder) are solid assets for a third star like Granger, or just to package together to move into the top 3.

We dont do this trade:

TMac and Carl Landry for Kevin Martin, Jordan Hill, two low 20s picks from NYK.

12. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

It takes some people a while to get it. Me, i get what you are saying, but i don't see the two other teams doing it.

13. ASidd_1990

ASidd_1990 Rookie

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/BM9yheU376Q&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/BM9yheU376Q&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

14. TManiAC

TManiAC Member

New Orleans unloads a bunch of salary without totally deteriorating their talent. Jameer, Marcin, Jordan Hill is acceptable compensation for a CP3 thats demanding to be traded. They also rid themselves of Okafor's contract.

Orlando makes an upgrade over Jameer Nelson by getting the best pg in the game in CP3. While they give up a 1st rounder and their backup C, theyre pretty much a lock to get Melo when VC's contract expires and well positioned to contend with their cross-state rivals the Miami Heat. CP3-Melo-Howard vs. DWade-Bron-Bosh.

Meanwhile, I've already explained why Houston would want to do it. CP3 and Melo arent coming to Houston, not if they can help it. Granger, on the other hand, is a realistic target.

15. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Yes he is, he's a pretty big expiring.

16. TManiAC

TManiAC Member

Did you read BimaThug's post? Even if he does expire, we wont have cap space to sign anyone. The only use for Jeffries expiring is for trades. This is a trade. And out of this trade we get Okafor, ensure our NYK picks are in the lottery, get a pick from Orlando, all the while drastically improve our chances for a player like Granger. I think Indiana would definitely do Ariza for two higher 1st round picks. They wont do it for just Ariza and low 20s picks.

17. thetatomatis

thetatomatis Member

Yes because he hasnt done it for a whole season as his average and Brooks has.

18. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Um, if we are trading Jeffries to another team it really doesn't matter if WE have the cap space to sign anyone. With Chris Paul and Yao Ming of course we won't have any cap space any ways.

Jeffries just like ANY OTHER expiring is a asset in todays NBA. This is a fact. Teams want to free up as much space they can for themselves and also get money off of their books.

You said Jeffries is a asset, i'm not arguing with you about helping the Magic get paul, i'm just correcting that yes...Jeffries is a asset. Whenever someone is a 7million expiring contract that is asset.

Just like how big Tmac was a asset with his expiring, and look what it got us?

19. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Okafors contract is way too much.the only reason to take him back is if we get Paul.

To give up assets for Okafor and a late ass pick from Orlando is out right dumb.

Trying to prevent NY from getting Paul and delivering him to another team instead of just getting him ourselves is what I call a P*ssy move. All for a late pick and a Cap eating contract.

20. DaneB

DaneB Member

NO Only Wanting To Part With Paul If Somebody Takes Okafor?

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/knicks/paul_out_effort_EcyvQVSiHUEs2x3BguzHoM#ixzz0uY0vjQyl

Why wait until 2012 when you have a shot at him now?

According to an NBA executive familiar with Knicks team president Donnie Walsh's thinking, the Knicks are willing to include in a trade anyone other than Amar'e Stoudemire for Chris Paul, knowing how badly the superstar point guard wants to come to New York.

The Knicks will soon find out if Paul is available.

On Monday, Paul is expected to meet with new Hornets GM Dell Demps, new coach Monty Williams and president Hugh Weber in the Big Easy, according to a Hornets official.

"Amar'e won't be traded, but everyone else is available," the executive said.

Three weeks ago, the Hornets president said New Orleans will not trade Paul this summer and the Knicks and Nets backed off. There is no assurance New Orleans will acquiesce to Paul's demands.

However, Paul has a new inner circle, firing Octagon's Jeff Austin and replacing him with LeBron James' people.

Paul's new agent is Leon Rose, who is expected at the meeting. Paul signed on to LRMR two weeks ago -- the LeBron marketing firm run by James manager Maverick Carter.

The Knicks hope Rose and Carter have more success getting Paul to New York than they did LeBron.

Indeed, Rose is putting on the heat and wants to start gauging interest from teams. Reports state Paul will request a trade at the meeting if he does not like what the Hornets have to say about their rebuilding plan.

Former Hornets GM Jeff Bower is believed to have had a strained relationship with Paul. Bower reportedly had a shouting match with Weber because he felt they should accept trade offers. Bower resigned 10 days ago.

Demps is a former Knicks scout whom Isiah Thomas promoted in 2004 to director of pro personnel, and he still has friends in the Knick organization.

The Knicks are on top of Paul's wish list, but the Hornets probably would be less inclined to send their star point guard onto the Broadway stage where he can become an even bigger icon.

James chimed in via Twitter, writing, "Best of luck to my brother. Do what's best for You and your family."

Orlando, Dallas and the Lakers also have been mentioned on Paul's wish list, but New Orleans can deal him anywhere.

A Big Easy source said the flak from the Hornets' season-ticket holders was immense when reports first surfaced last month the team could trade its franchise player this summer.

Paul is not a free agent until 2012, and The Post reported he toasted to a union between himself, Stoudemire and 2011 free agent Carmelo Anthony at Anthony's wedding in New York.

The Knicks have assets, but are hampered by not being able to deal new free-agent point guard Raymond Felton until Dec. 15.

Also, their three Golden State acquisitions can only be traded separately until Dec. 15 and can not be paired up in a trade. The biggest trade pawn of the Golden State trio is coveted Anthony Randolph.

With the Hornets in the midst of a sale, they

could have interest in the expiring contract of Eddy Curry to save money in a bigger package.

The Knicks consider Wilson Chandler expendable in a trade, but if Paul is the prize, their prized prospect Danilo Gallinari is on the table too, the source said.

Paul makes $15 million this season. The Knicks are $2.5M under the cap, so the trade does not have to be dollar-for-dollar.

Speculation is the Hornets would want teams to take on the lousy long-term pact of center Emaka Okafor, who has four years and $52M left. Okafor is a center the Knicks can use, but his addition negates their chances of offering Anthony the maximum.

A CBSSportsline.com report quoted a person close to Paul as saying, "He wants out. He wants to play with another superstar. He wants to follow LeBron's model of teaming up with other great players."

And ESPN.com quoted an insider as confirming the Paul toast and adding "Those [three] guys want to beat the three guys

in Miami."

Last month, Paul said, "My first choice is to be in New Orleans. I just want to make sure we're committed to winning. If we're not committed to winning and trying to get better so we can contend with the Lakers, the Celtics and all these other top teams, then I'm open to being traded."