1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston Worst City at Recycle...would u pay more fees to change?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by heypartner, Aug 15, 2008.

?

Would you pay $3.50 / month (per family) fees for better recycling program

1. Yes-- $3.50 / mo and I hope business pay more, too

29 vote(s)
    69.0%
  2. No new taxes

13 vote(s)
    31.0%
  1. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

This is a two week old article from the NY Times. Sorry if it's been posted before.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/29/us/29recycle.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

Houston recycles the least of the top 30 cities in the US. 2.6% of waste compared to Chicago and LA at roughly 60%. NY at >30%, etc.

According to the article, it really boils down to WE don't want to recycle...we like our cheap landfill fees and very low garbage collection...and so the city doesn't have money to do a big recycling program.

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

forgot to bold the part of the article that the poll is about.

Do you agree or disagree with City Council having to drop the $3.50/mo fee? And, as an aside, do you think we should raise our landfill fees to businesses inline with other cities?

3. meggoleggo

meggoleggo Contributing Member

I think City Council should have stuck with their guns and charged something - $1.50, $3.50, whatever. But I also think that businesses should be included in these fees as well - they generate a helluva lot of trash themselves as well. They should be subject to a new tax/fee if homeowners are.

4. Nero

Nero Member

I think the government is the servant of the will of the people.

We are not subjects of the government, it is the other way around.

And if the people here don't want to be bothered with having to screw around with that tedious mess, then we are not going to allow anyone to force us to.

All these granola-heads can go stuff a recycle bin up their self-righteous hineys.

I mean come on:

"“Picking up yard clippings isn’t radical,” Mr. Corley said. “It’s not even innovative. They just aren’t going far enough. Recycling ought to be mandatory. Send the waste police.”"

What a pathetic little nazi.

Is recycling a *bad* thing? Of course not. But I'll be damned if I will be told I have to by some whiny little san-francisco-wannabees.

5. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Only if it is mandatory. The compromise that go killed of having a voluntary fee was not a good idea. Recycling is a community endeavor. Either we're all in or we're all out. If we want in, we need the recycling police to make sure we're in. If we don't want the recycling police then I don't see why any Houstonian should bother.

6. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

I posted this before, but thank God that someone is standing up to the recyclers for destroying the planet.

Recycling is Bull****.

<embed id="VideoPlayback" style="width:400px;height:326px" allowFullScreen="true" src="http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docid=-1444391672891013193&hl=en&fs=true" type="application/x-shockwave-flash"> </embed>

(Language not safe for work.)

7. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I thought some cities were starting to pull a profit from recycling -- primarily from aluminum.

8. redefined

redefined Contributing Member

Who cares? Garbage is garbage. If you want to recycle my garbage, by all means, go ahead and go through it (but once it's left my property). I'm not wasting any time with this nonsense. My theory is that one man won't make a difference. My parents recycle though and they will take my Coke cans and newspapers out of the garbage and allocate it properly

In San Francisco they will actually go through your garbage and if they find something recyclable they will fine you a ridiculous amount. Insane! You can't force anybody to recycle. And if I see anyone going through my trash on my private property you can bet I'll be sitting next to the windowsill upstairs throwing rocks at that trespasser.

And in Seattle they charge you for how many pounds of garbage you throw away. As if that will make you start recycling!? I'll just store all my garbage in the garage and once a month I'll go to a restaurant and use their public dumpsters.

Before I moved back to Houston I tried to recycle my TV. Most local places wanted me pay 25 bucks. NO WAY! Then I stopped a Salvation Army truck and asked them if they took TV's. They said no. I asked if any of those guys wanted a free TV (I'm talking a 32" Sony Tube without any problems). They said no. I finally found a place in Fort Worth that would take it for free but I wasn't going to drive all the way out there. I ended up dumping it. What's done is done. If they care so much they need to make it A LOT easier for me to recycle.

Throwing things away is one of the easiest things to do. In our subdivision, we pay the garbage men more to pick up our garbage from deep inside our driveway. We don't even have to take it out to the curb. And they take EVERYTHING.

I've noticed living in Houston is pretty much hassle free. I love it!

9. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Recycling metals makes a lot of sense. It saves money and mined resources.

If you recycle paper, you are wasting money and tons of resources, and contributing to the loss of forests. All for something that breaks down in a couple of months in the landfill.

10. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Aluminum, paper pulp, card board, plastic, etc. -- lots of money to be made with an efficient operation.

11. TMac640

TMac640 Contributing Member

We tend to recycle most of our paper around here. Actually, I don't know what's gotten in to me since I always thought recycling was gay, but I've been pushing for the family to get one of those green recycling buckets to recycle all of our plastic bottles. I go through probably 5-7 plastic bottles a day in water, water, water, tea , tea , tea, etc alone. The rest of the family? Probably about 25-35 bottles a week.

12. Storm Surge

Storm Surge Rookie

Yes, I would pay the fee to recycle.

13. Nice Rollin

Nice Rollin Contributing Member

recycle!? you libpigs

sincerely,
    TJ

14. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Word to that! To take it to the next step... Ill be dead before it matters so I don't care.

15. AGBee

AGBee Member

Garbage - it's not our problem. Mother earth will take care of it for us.

16. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

The world is over loaded with lazy ***es.