1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston Texans Season Record Predictions

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by emjohn, Sep 8, 2010.

?

How will the Texans finish in 2010?

1. 11-5 or better

20.3%
  2. 10-6

42.4%
  3. 9-7

15.6%
  4. 8-8

7.4%
  5. 7-9

6.9%
  6. 6-10 or worse

7.4%
  1. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Yeah, because a 2nd year undrafted free agent definitely cannot improve the starting running back position from last season when the #1 guy rushed for a team high of 437 yards.

And a top flight rookie CB definitely cannot produce the stellar tree stump style coverage that Dunta Robinson produced last season.

2. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Good post.

Schaub's health is a given, but I think the make/break boils down to these two things:

Pass rush
    Red zone efficiency/Play calling in red zone

Our defense (and any defense, really) is unstoppable when we get a consistent pass rush, as long as we aren't giving up 4.5 yards a carry on the ground. Even though Jackson is a rookie, I have a hard time believing he won't be as good as the pedestrian Dunta Robinson we saw for much of last season.

Other than that, we just have to put it in the endzone more. Even if our running game only improves marginally, we should still be a top 5 offense. Just gotta avoid boneheaded play calling and fumbling at the goal line.

3. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Enjoying the high level of discussion in the thread.

Dunta vs Jackson - I agree that swapping them out should improve the defense, though not markedly. We have to be realistic in that he is a rookie and that for his faults, Robinson was one of the very few hard hitters we had.

I think Jackson was drafted particularly with off tackle/stretch/pitch runners in mind (Chris Johnson, MoJo) - it seems his value as a tackler was just as important to the draft room as his cover ability. Very few INTs on his college resume.

I really wish they had made a significant move to help out the cover safety position. Secondary is in dire need of someone with high coverage IQ roaming deep....Wilson is losing his ability to get to spots rapidly as well as playing a bit too much two hand touch for my taste.

Absolutely no one's health is a given. One play can end anyone's season - ask Tom Brady or Ben Tate.

For the sake of discourse, it'd be nice if you took the time to lay out your crunched numbers.

I'm saying that as someone that is predicting the same record as you are, and someone that is A-okay with a non-Texans fan posting in the forum (as long as it stops short of taunting and trolling).

1 person likes this.
  4. J.R.

J.R. Member

Right back at ya(good post). 2 good points I failed to mention.

As you said, just gotta be efficient in the RZ and put up 7 instead of 3. Also agree on the pass rush.

5. Kate81

Kate81 Member

I can't show you the numbers, everyone will think I'm crazy. Mostly everyone already does. But still, can't post 'em.

6. Kate81

Kate81 Member

For a team who went 9-7 with a weak schedule... you have them winning 11 games against a more difficult schedule. I don't get it.

7. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Ah, the infamous because event X happened one year, it will automatically happen every subsequent year for the remainder of time because nothing ever changes. That's outstanding logic...

After all, there's no way the 2009 Saints can win the Super Bowl or even make the playoffs - they brought back nearly the same team that went 8-8 the prior year! Oh... oops :rolleyes:

8. Kate81

Kate81 Member

Same team? Sharper. Gregg Williams. Malcolm Jenkins.

Ask yourself, who and what stood out.

Same team. :rolleyes:

Nothing has changed with the Texans. Same coaching staff, 1st round CB, Cushing out 4 games, new starting RB.

In my mind, that's not good enough.

9. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

So Gregg Williams as the defensive coordinator counts as a major change for the Saints, but hiring a new offensive coordinator (Rick Dennison) doesn't count for the Texans? Wow, you're unbiased. :rolleyes:

And wow, Malcolm Jenkins - a first-round, rookie CB! Kind of like, um, that Kareem Jackson guy?

And yes, actually having a capable running back as opposed to Chris Brown and Steve Slaton's corpse - clearly that's nowhere near the magnitude of a 40-year-old Darren Sharper at safety, right?

In your mind, the Texans could swap rosters with the Saints or Colts and they would be lucky to win eight games. If you're going to troll, at least be fun. Start telling us about that great Indy running game - it's about on par with that incredible Miami pass rush you warned us about repeatedly last year.

10. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Yeah, you've only posted 6 times in this thread (so far).

11. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

I don't pay attention to posters who have their girlfriend's name in their moniker. Simply ghey.

12. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

The Texans lost 5 games in final seconds/minutes from our Brown's. Neither of the Brown's are on this years team.

13. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Bernard Pollard for a full season. Rick Dennison as our new offensive coordinator. Kareem Jackson as our rookie corner.

Ask yourself, if you're going to hate on a team, why wouldn't you at least be a little more creative, and do some research. Your Texan hatred is downright laughable at this point.

Same troll. :rolleyes:

14. SuraGotMadHops

I have high hopes, 12-4.

Split with Indy.
    Split with Tennessee.
    Loss to Ravens.
    Loss to one of the NFC East teams.
    Everything else we win. Believe it!

15. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

or people who spell words with a k that should start with c.

1 person likes this.
  16. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

17. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

18. Kate81

Kate81 Member

LOL, see you guys at the end of the season.

Not my GFs or BFs name in the moniker, stop crying.

19. msn

msn Member

there was a stray dog at our house for a couple weeks last year. we never fed it, and it went away...

1 person likes this.
  20. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

did you laugh about it because of how stupid it was?