1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston Texans Rank a Lowly 24th in Latest ESPN Popularity Poll

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by spankyou, May 30, 2012.

1. spankyou

spankyou Member

2. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

the franchise is like 10 yrs old, be patient. Ravens, Jaguars, Panthers are low for the same reason.

#2 tallanvor, May 30, 2012
    Last edited: May 30, 2012
  3. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

A 10 year old franchise with a lifetime record of 65-95 and only 1 playoff appearance did as good or better in terms of popularity than 10 other NFL teams? Wow.

4. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

I didn't see the original ESPN link in the article so:
    http://espn.go.com/blog/nflnation/post/_/id/59058/where-every-nfl-team-ranks-in-popularity

I'm not surprised, I'm not offended:

It's sports, not music or movies or TV shows: fans largely are defined by where they live, how they were raised, or who's been dominant in recent years.

-Look at the top 10: all of those teams have been around for decades and have massive national fanbases. Those are the teams whose fans invade visiting stadiums every road game, whose fans are the multi-generational, fanatical, house-decorated diehard lifers. Let's not pretend the Texans have any business pretending to be on that level.

-The Cowboys top the list at under 9% - not that ridiculous since 100/32 - 3% if it was an even distribution. Only the top 10 teams get above that 3% mark.

-Now look at the bottom ten teams: dominated by the expansion and relocated squads (Browns a strange exception from the bottom group since they are an anti-expansion team).

I look at it and think the Texans don't come off half bad - they're at the top of that bottom tier (along with the Ravens), despite having the least history in the league. I'd feel like crap if I were an Atlanta or Cincy fan - that's damning to fall that low.

It's a truth about pro sports - it's damn near impossible for expansion teams to get out of the shadow of the old school storied franchises, and it seems to go triple for football.

5. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Before last year they were among the worst franchises in all of sport. They were in clippers/pirates/Bengals territory.

Here is the whole list. Usually the teams that win more are more popular except the falcons, but they play in Atlanta.

<style type="text/css">
    table.tableizer-table {border: 1px solid #CCC; font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 12px;} .tableizer-table td {padding: 4px; margin: 3px; border: 1px solid #ccc;}
    .tableizer-table th {background-color: #104E8B; color: #FFF; font-weight: bold;}
    </style>

<table class="tableizer-table">
    <tr class="tableizer-firstrow"><th>Rank</th><th>Team</th><th>Pct.</th></tr> <tr><td>1</td><td>Cowboys</td><td>8.8</td></tr> <tr><td>2</td><td>Packers</td><td>7.2</td></tr> <tr><td>3</td><td>Giants</td><td>7.1</td></tr> <tr><td>4</td><td>Steelers</td><td>7.1</td></tr> <tr><td>5</td><td>Patriots</td><td>6.8</td></tr> <tr><td>6</td><td>Bears</td><td>4.2</td></tr> <tr><td>7</td><td>Saints</td><td>4.1</td></tr> <tr><td>8</td><td>49ers</td><td>4.0</td></tr> <tr><td>9</td><td>Eagles</td><td>3.9</td></tr> <tr><td>10</td><td>Broncos</td><td>3.8</td></tr> <tr><td>11</td><td>Colts</td><td>2.8</td></tr> <tr><td>12</td><td>Raiders</td><td>2.5</td></tr> <tr><td>13</td><td>Redskins</td><td>2.4</td></tr> <tr><td>14</td><td>Vikings</td><td>2.2</td></tr> <tr><td>15</td><td>Lions</td><td>2.2</td></tr> <tr><td>16</td><td>Dolphins</td><td>1.9</td></tr> <tr><td>17</td><td>Chiefs</td><td>1.6</td></tr> <tr><td>18</td><td>Seahawks</td><td>1.6</td></tr> <tr><td>19</td><td>Jets</td><td>1.5</td></tr> <tr><td>20</td><td>Chargers</td><td>1.5</td></tr> <tr><td>21</td><td>Browns</td><td>1.4</td></tr> <tr><td>22</td><td>Bills</td><td>1.4</td></tr> <tr><td>23</td><td>Ravens</td><td>1.3</td></tr> <tr><td>24</td><td>Texans</td><td>1.2</td></tr> <tr><td>25</td><td>Buccaneers</td><td>1.2</td></tr> <tr><td>26</td><td>Falcons</td><td>1.2</td></tr> <tr><td>27</td><td>Titans</td><td>1.1</td></tr> <tr><td>28</td><td>Panthers</td><td>1.0</td></tr> <tr><td>29</td><td>Cardinals</td><td>0.8</td></tr> <tr><td>30</td><td>Bengals</td><td>0.8</td></tr> <tr><td>31</td><td>Rams</td><td>0.7</td></tr> <tr><td>32</td><td>Jaguars</td><td>0.4</td></tr></table>

6. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

doesn't the franchise's name, at least in part, inhibit NATIONAL popularity?

I remember McNair saying, "We'll let the Cowboys be America's Team. We want to be Texas' team."

7. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

lol, jags.

8. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I quit caring about this kind of stuff years ago.

9. DonnyMost

The Bengals and Falcons did pretty bad, but I have to LOL @ the Titans. For a 50+ year old franchise, that is pathetic. Especially considering all the success they saw after they relocated and changed names.

The Saints thing also screams bandwagon. You couldn't find somebody openly cheering for the Saints up until about 3-4 years ago.

10. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Bum Phillips said that about the Oilers, not sure if McNAir did. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/O.A._Phillips

Bum is the man

11. DonnyMost

I'd say it's not really significant.

Yankees, Cowboys, Lakers.

All names that have regional limitations on them, all incredibly popular.

Coincidentally, they all win a whole hell of a lot, too.

1 person likes this.
  12. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Interesting that the top 4 teams on this list have, for the most part, been wearing the same uniforms for the last 60+ years. That should tell you something.

Pick a uniform and stick with it.

1 person likes this.
  13. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

If this was done before the 2009 season, would the Saints have been bottom 5?

14. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

No, they weren't. It's been 10 years. The Clippers are in the territory they're in because of consistent failures over a much longer stretch than a decade. You don't get to be one of the "worst franchises in sport" by one bad decade, especially when it's an expansion team.

The flip side of that, of course, is that it takes much longer than 10 years to create a brand identity on a national scale. It's way too soon to take these types of polls to mean much for the Texans as a franchise.

15. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

I'm surprised the Jets and Ravens aren't more popular. I mean, the fact that the Ravens are only one slot above us, and have one of the most recognizable defenses in NFL history says something......

The Texans are actually doing quite well, in my opinion. And after some sustained success, their popularity only stands to go up.

16. solid

solid Contributing Member

Meaningless trivia. If it mattered the Cowboys would have won the SuperBowl. They have been awful for years.

17. conquistador#11

I have my own poll, where the Patriots rank 30th in popularity amongst Houstonians living in Houston. :rolleyes:

Eh, Texans are one of the best franchi$e$ in the world in all sports and that's with a lot of sucking during the 200os.

Historically though, (minus the aints, who should be at least 16th) the top of the list makes sense. I would say oakland should replace the saints and the Patriots, the redsox are more popular. that's all i have to say about that.

18. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Who cares. ESPN probably asked about 50 people and they put those stats out there like it means something. Once we finish 12-4 we will get plenty of bandwagon hoppers.

19. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

One of these regional names does not fit.

20. 713

713 Member

you don't know about Lake Hollywood?