1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston Texans 2013 NFL Draft

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by 45souf, Jan 15, 2013.

1. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

Maybe it's time to move up?

2. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

Or they just don't know how to utilize them.

3. MourningWood

MourningWood Contributing Member

DeAndre "Nuk" Hopkins, Clemson.

He just lit up LSU to the tune of 13 catches for 191 yards and 2 TDs en route to shattering the team's single-season receiving record with over 1,400 yards. He's not going to wow scouts with his 40, but he's sure-handed and strong in traffic. Kiper has him projected to the Pats at 31.

4. utgrad97

utgrad97 Member

It crazy to see how bad the Texans WR/TE core is compared to the 49ers/Falcons/Ravens/Patriots.

That is a big reason why the Texans can't compete right now for the 3rd playoff weekend.

They need playmakers on the offense side of the ball, especially when you consider who the QB is.

You need a guy that can create separation or make a defender miss the open field. Actually you 2-3 of them.

We do have an elite level RB and WR, but both were beaten into the ground this season.

I would love Tavon Austin, Stedman Bailey, and Trey Millard added to the roster.

They would probably be taken in the 1st, 3rd, and 4th/5th. That would lead a 2nd, the compensation pick, and several others for defense.

5. REDNINJA

REDNINJA Member

Round 1: Alec Ogletree -ILB- Georgia
    [​IMG]

Round 2: Lane Johnson - OL- Oklahoma
    [​IMG]

Round 3: E. J Manuel - QB - Florida State
    [​IMG]

Round 4: Bacarri Rambo - S - Georgia
    [​IMG]

Round 5: Marcus Davis - WR - Virginia Tech
    [​IMG]

6. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

After watching this game....i hope people understand...LB, LB, LB...and its importance...those underneath routes were wide open for the pats vs texans...not so against the Ravens...the pressure the Ravens had didnt really reach till the game was out of reach...but they punished the short yardage receivers by hitting and hitting hard...over time that does its job...

ie. key drop by welker on a 3rd down play, fumble by Riddley

And about time, that a guy like Anquan boldin exposed the size mismatch of the safeties in the endzone...watching Boldin make those spectacular catches...just made me thing what if the Texans had Andre as the slot and a true Burner on the outside...when you need a big play throw it to Andre...when you wanna stretch the field, throw it to a real burner down the field...gosh...im so sad thinking about how this Baltimore team went out and played smart ball against NE...throw, and when in control of the game...run the ball down their throats...Kudos to Jim Cadwell for calling a great great great game against Billichick...he was the real ex factor...

7. Rick Rambis

Rick Rambis Member

I would definitely accept this draft.

Ogletree and L Johnson are great picks!!

I dont really see the Texans drafting a QB this season, but I would not be surprised. EJ Manual could be a good development prospect. The guy does tend to underperform in big games, which the Texans already have in Schaub.

Love the safety pick in Rambo, but I am not sure he will fall to the 4th. Most of what I have seen is a 2nd to 3rd round grade.

I dont know much about Marcus Davis, but I would like the Texans to take a WR but as per your suggestion, take one late. I would also like to see the Texans take a TE. There is not depth at the position and with as much as Kubiak likes to use TEs we need another. Also, appears to be the league trend.

8. REDNINJA

REDNINJA Member

Yeah knowing that Schaub will be the opening day starter due to contract obligation, I don't think they'll take a qb but to thinking forward and looking at what happened in San Francisco it would be nice to bring in s 6'5 235lb complete athlete that has incredible arm strength and can run when there's pressure, bring him in, coach him up for a year and hope for an injury LoL

9. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

If we didn't sign Schaub to an extension during the season we'd be working on signing him to one (albeit a cheaper one) now.

10. Rick Rambis

Rick Rambis Member

I would love the Texans to bring in someone with a big arm that can move around the pocket. Manual would be perfect to develop for a season or two.

In reality, it depends on the team's evaluation of Yates and Keenum. If they think that these guys can be legitimate starting QBs in the NFL, they may decide to continue to develop these guys and not draft a QB. I am certain they will have a few undrafted guys into camp for a tryout but the chances of one of those guys becoming a star that we so desire is a long shot to say the least. Additionally, drafting a QB may put a dent in Schaub's already paper-think confidence level.

11. REDNINJA

REDNINJA Member

Oh and Marcus Davis is the opposite of Kevin Walter; big, strong 6'5 230lb physical freak that can catch anything and stretch the field and create mismatches for defenses but he can't block for shat. In fact that's why his stock has fallen but he could be the steal of the draft. He's got a Megatron ceiling

12. tierre_brown

tierre_brown Contributing Member

http://walterfootball.com/seniorbowl2013rumors4.php

Nothing that we haven't really talked about before. I don't think there are any first round OL prospects that the Texans will look at (unless some slip like Eric Fisher). I think ILB (Ogletree, Minter) will be the pick, but there are a few borderline first rounder DLs that could merit a look.

13. solid

solid Contributing Member

The Texans have more seriously ticked off their fans than may be publicly apparent. They need a draft that not only improves them but is popular. The franchise has a serious image problem. If they are not going to correct the "leadership" problem, they need to do something to give hope to their fans (free agency and draft).

14. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

what does that mean exactly? What pick will give fans hope?

Personally I don't think you make picks just to make fans happy. You make a pick because you think the player is and will be good. The Watt pick sure wasn't sexy to the common fan, but he sure does provide hope now.

15. solid

solid Contributing Member

Many fans including myself never liked the Mario pick; in retrospect we are right. At this stage I don't think the Texans need to further tic off the fan base with a controversial draft or free agency signing. We need a big infusion of "happy." The Watt pick wasn't particularly controversial. Not even the Texans expected the outcome.

16. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The Watt pick wasn't controversial but it sure didn't create buzz nor was it the "popular" pick.

I don't give a rats ass what fans think when they pick a player on draft day. At the end of the day, if that player helps win games, then fans will be happy

17. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

If they want to infuse a batch of happy, they should fire Marciano and lock up Quin.

18. Rick Rambis

Rick Rambis Member

Which side were you on Vince Young or Reggie Bush? Most would argue that Mario has had more success than both of them.

19. desi tmac91

desi tmac91 Member

With hindsight in mind, it probably would have just been best to sell high on the pick while Bush/Young/Mario were all hyped prospects.

20. MystikArkitect

We aren't drafting a QB...we should. But we wont. Gary talked up Keenum the other day, likely as a lip service to get the public off his back and give false hope that he will compete with Schaub for the job. Set it up nicely so that when we don't draft a QB, he can point to those comments.

Athletic linebackers are pretty much what we need. Draft athletic linebackers in the 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th round. The Texans had no shot against the Patriots because none of our LB corps could cover. Hernandez and Welker could pretty much run wild. Now that the league is moving to more pistol play, the same thing will happen vs the Kaepernicks/Wilsons (who we have to face next year) and RG3s of the world. Not to mention Luck who's got legs and we have to face twice. Should go LB, LB/RG/NT, QB, LB/NT/RG, TE, WR, LB or something of that nature. Mercilus, Barwin, Cushing, and Ogletree would be nice.