1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston Texans 2013 NFL Draft

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by 45souf, Jan 15, 2013.

1. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Outside Linebacker and WR.

Let's do this.

2. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

NT, DE (likely got to let Smith go), OLB, ILB, Safety

RT, RG, TE

1. OLB
    2. NT
    3. ILB
    4. RT
    4. DE
    5. TE
    6. RG
    7. BPA

Going to have to do some things at WR and Safety in free agency.

3. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

I think the team is too nice. We never show up for the big games. I hope we draft someone nasty. I hope they have a real girlfriend too.

#83 tallanvor, Jan 17, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
  4. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

I couldn't agree more Jev. To me, that was alot of what was missing in the last half of the season....we need a physical TE that can go over the middle and pose another option to the screen or Andre.

I'm not saying that completely solves the problems on offense, but it certainly helps. That kid will be a solid player in the NFL for many years.

5. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

6. Rick Rambis

Rick Rambis Member

There was a time a long time ago when I used to respect this guy's opinion, but damn are you serious! This system is known for plugging in RBs. The man needs to be slapped

7. REDNINJA

REDNINJA Member

8. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

The focus should be on FIXING THE LINES
    on both sides of the ball

Rocket River

10. Raven

Raven Member

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha.

11. GCWTexans

GCWTexans Member

Texans Immediate Draft Needs

ILB- The Texans have D level talent playing next to Cushing next year. Plus Cushing's ACL injury creates uncertainty.

NT- Shaun Cody is a free agent and Earl Mitchell has only one year left on his contract.

OT- The Texans need a new starting right tackle so that Newton can move over to swing tackle. Other tackles Rashad Butler, Andrew Gardner and Ryan Harris are free agents.

Secondary Needs

S- If Glover Quin is not resigned a safety will need to be drafted early.

CB- Depth at CB is needed. Harris and Carmichael have not impressed and McCain may leave in free agency.

TE- The Texans would like to carry one more TE on the roster.

12. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

The Chronical had a nice article in regards to young QBs...

i love this kid...great arm...jay cutler like and much better than Yates or Keenum in terms of arm strength...

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/RmMa5Nv2zoI?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

13. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Some of the guys I'm interested in (not a true ranking, just a selection of folks):

D-Line (NT or 3/4 End) with Cody and Smith possible losses
    Johnathan Hankins (OSU) (Probably out of reach)
    Jonathan Jenkins (Ga)
    Sheldon Richardson (Mizz)
    Jesse Williams (Ala)
    Sylvester Williams (UNC)
    Margus Hunt (SMU)
    Kwame Geathers (Ga)

O-Line I still say the starting unit is set, and this is more about cleaning out and restocking the guys behind them (with the notion that they may/should take over as starters down the road). With that in mind, I'm most intrigued by the multiple position types - get more bang for your buck with injury insurance. It's tricky for us as fans to peg who the staff would like, because the ZBS scheme doesn't usually pull from the prototypical linemen. They value nimble types more than 350-pounders.
    Barrett Jones (Ala)
    Dallas Thomas (Tenn)
    Lane Johnson (Ok)
    Kyle Long (Ore)
    Travis Frederick (Wis)

TE - looking for a Dreesen type more than a Hernandez pseudo WR
    Dion Sims (MSU)
    Travis Kelce (Cin)
    Philip Lutzenkirchen (Aub)
    Michael Williams (Ala)
    Ben Cotton (Neb)

ILB - tough to tell how big a priority this will be. If the staff expects Cushing to bounce back with elite play, it makes your second ILB a running down only player. If he's a question mark, you need both ILBs out there. Also have to wonder if Wade intends to keep James as a starter. It's critical that we draft someone that can cover TEs regularly, a major problem without Cushing. My guess is they mine for someone in round 3 (two picks).
    Kevin Minter (LSU)
    Shayne Skov (Stan)
    Kevin Reddick (UNC)
    Kiko Alonso (Ore)
    James Morris (Iowa)

S - because we could lose Quin, and even if not, depth has been troubling. Badly need another deep S that doesn't blow coverage.
    Tony Jefferson (Ok)
    T.J. McDonald (USC)
    Robert Lester (Ala)
    Bacarri Rambo (Ga) *character issues
    Phillip Thomas (Fresno)

14. Antec

Antec Member

Captain Check Down.

15. AbrahamLincoln

I don't think we should draft any offensive linemen. We did the youth movement this year, let them develop and bring in a veteran to battle for a spot on the right side in camp. No more rookie's on the o-line. MLB, DT, WR or TE in the 1st. I think the better wr's will be gone in the late 1st. So its likely we get one later. We could stop the run better with a legit DT and maybe we could cover TE's better with an upgrade at MLB.

16. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Maybe not someone as a 2013 starter, but you can't expect the line to be injury free, it normally takes a year or two to integrate linemen into the ZBS scheme, and you always need to be thinking long term development.

I like our starters well enough, but right now Brooks might be the only guy we can feel okay about behind them in the depth chart. Gardner, Caldwell, and Harris have looked pitiful and could all be gone soon. Butler can't stay on the field and may also be gone. Rick Smith would be a fool not to pick up at least a couple guys in the mid-to-late rounds.

17. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I somewhat agree with the O-line take. Do we really want to have another rookie starting at O-line? Sure, they could probably get a quality left tackle late in the first but i'm not sure I want them spending that pick on a RT.

Texans have a pretty good history in finding guys off the scrap pile so maybe they should try that again and save the 1st pick for more of a playmaker, i.e TE, WR, DT, of ILB

18. KALIKULI

KALIKULI Contributing Member

We need a young QB that can deliver the ball in pressure and can run and get out of pocket! Keenum Case is a great example, the guy broke several NCAAF records and U of H records. The kid is a better fit!

19. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

I think a playmaker at the WR and ILB positions are a must this year, but I also want a mammoth at RT. We can always use depth at CB/S and DL.

Prospects I love for the Texans in rounds 1-2:

Matt Elam FS
    Justin Hunter WR
    Tavon Austin WR/RB/KR
    Alec Olegtree ILB
    Margus Hunt DL
    Lane Johnson OT

20. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Watching the NFC Championship Game, it's notable just how many big time playmakers are playing on both teams. The Texans just don't have that skill level.