1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston Texans 2013 NFL Draft

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by 45souf, Jan 15, 2013.

1. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

This makes sense. That's the whole reason they shipped Ryans out to begin with.

2. Rick Rambis

Rick Rambis Member

The Texans usually draft starters in the first round. Last year was the first time that this did not occur since the start of the franchise I believe. Other than ILB, the only other starting position that I could see us drafting is NT. If we draft a WR in the 1st I would not expect him to start and would instead follow the path similar to Posey and Martin with more focus on development in yr 1.

For those wanting T'eo, I am extreme anxious to see his 40 time. Many have called his speed into question and it will be intersting to see how it turns out. I believe Minter and Ogletree have the speed necessary to play ILB in the NFL which is why I would prefer those guys instead. And Maybe T'eo had a bad game in the Nat'l Championship, but he looked terrible: missed tackles galore, and could not keep up with the speed of the game.

3. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

yeah, he would have to be a real stud ILB that fell to be taken in the first round. You can get quality guys in that position later.

That being said, I think the first pick could be best player available, regardless of position. Texans could use depth/starter competitor at just about every position

4. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Not that high on T'eo right now but it will be interesting to see his numbers at the combine.

5. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

After his performance in the title game? Maybe if he fell to the Texans but I wouldn't trade up that far to get him. Let someone else overpay for ole alligator arms.

6. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Teo would definitely fit in as a Phillips guy - slow, can't tackle, lets plays come to him instead of seeking out the ball.

7. utgrad97

utgrad97 Member

The Clemson WR that blew up against LSU would someone to watch as well.

8. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

JJ Watt is slow? JJ Watt can't tackle and doesn't seek the ball?

9. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

Had a good year stat wise, has good speed. Good in coverage and run but around 70 of his tackles were on assists.

10. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

I'll admit to not being as informed as many of y'all, but I'm curious whether Brooks Reed could be moved inside to play ILB?

11. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Speaking specifically about the ILB position opposite of Cushing. Thought that was clear earlier with my posts about Kubiak and his WR2's.

12. primtim24

primtim24 Contributing Member

What year did you graduate from Syracuse?

13. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

I really Like him outside.

If the Texans can somehow draft Chase Thomas who is a OLB/ILB Hybrid we will have 3 players at the LB position that can cover and get to the QB with Cush, Reed and Thomas.

Would give offenses a hard time figuring if it is a blitz or not on third downs.

14. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

So kubes and his slow WRs and phillips and his slow ILBs

15. Rick Rambis

Rick Rambis Member

Agree that versatility is the key if you draft an LB. Thats why I like T'eo and Minter a little less than Ogletree. I like your guy Thomas as well who could probably be had for a 2nd round pick depending on how the lead up to the draft goes.

16. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

Always felt depth was due to finding the players from undrafted FA and other 4-7 rounds drafts that fit your system to a T and are GAMERs. Versatility is also a huge thing that teams like the Patriots look for. While the Texans have found players that fit our system well, they have not always been gamers who come out ready with a chip no their shoulder. And when they don't play well, we cannot seem to find a way to salvage them in a different role.

17. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

With so many needs you have to go best available right? The LB from South Carolina that decapitated the player from Michigan would be nice.

18. Anticope

Anticope Member

Clowney is only a sophomore, so he can't come out until next year, but yes, he would be nice.

19. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

He's going to be a top 10 pick when he comes out. Just an athletic beast.

20. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Valid point but the depth in 2011-2012 was fine. The linebacking, offensive line, tight end/FB, special teams took hits that offseason. Looks like we'll be losing even more this offseason.

Graham, Dressen, Casey, Sharpton, Butler, Harris were supposed to step up this year and fill some of those voids. Injuries, playcalling and lack of progress has lead to disappointment with most of these guys. But even if they did fill the void... who's supposed to step up this offseason? We don't have replacements for Barwin, Quin, Casey, etc this time around.