1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston Texans 2013 NFL Draft

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by 45souf, Jan 15, 2013.

1. 45souf

45souf Member

UPDATE: <a href="http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?p=7883170#post7883170">The start of the NFL Draft</a>
    <HR>
    So we know where we stand as in terms of draft slot. Who do you think we will select?

2. Rick Rambis

Rick Rambis Member

I dont really care for Mock drafts but I do like hypothesizing which players or positions that the Texans will take:

ILB: Kevin Minter (LSU) or Alec Ogletree (UGA) - I like both of these guys but i believe Ogletree has the better coverage skills while Minter plays more of Cushing's position. Both are big time playmakers and I would be happy with either

WR: I dont know if they will take one in the first round, but with Posey being injured and likely out most if not all of next season, the Texans need to invest in the position again (I would prefer they look to FA). A few guys to watch are Cordarelle Patterson (Tenn), Tavon Austin (WVU), and Terrance Williams (Baylor). Not sure which of these guys has first round value. I am not sure any WR is worth a 1st round pick as you can always find talent later in the draft.

NT: With S Cody getting up there in age, and Earl Mitchell ideally suited for passing downs, and investment here would be wise. Star Lotulelei wont be on the board at pick 27 but perhaps Jesse Williams for Alabama will be on the board.

I like these options for our 1st round pick while waiting til the 2nd, 3rd or 4th for OT, S, CB, and TE. A lot will depend on what we decide in Free Agency with Barwin, Quinn, etc. and we cant break the bank with Cushing and Watts contracts down the road. We will likely have some compensatory picks coming our way due to departing Free agents from last season. From what I have seen projected it could be an extra 3rd and 5th, but that remains to be seen.

3. htown1984

htown1984 Member

i think we should draft the top Punter Prospect... Not in the first round of course
    but we shouldd use a 5th-7th RD.. if you see teams like the Jaguars(of course they suck) but they drafted a punter in the 3rd Rd. and man this guy gets the opponents in
    bad field positions all the time.. With our defense that would help alot....

4. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I hope we go ILB. It's a position that can contribute right off the bat and there are a ton of proven SEC ILB's in this one. Unfortunately, Phillips love his guys, I can guarantee you he's comfortable with James.

An NT would be fun, but who we lose in free agency will dictate a lot of what happens. Don't be surprised if we're left reaching for a safety, defensive end, tight end or even another 34OLB if Barwin walks.

I don't expect us to touch the right side of the line, that was addressed last year and Kubiak will try and develop them. I also don't expect us to touch WR, again, that was addressed last year and free agent WR's are easy to come by. Is Santana Moss available yet?

Looks like depth will be an issue again next season.

5. wadero

wadero Member

We need a WR and I think ILB I hope sign a NT anyone of Wade ex Cowboys would work on.

6. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Total Punts: Anger (Jac) - 91, Jones (Hou) - 88
    Inside 20: Anger 31, Jones 28
    Average: Anger 47.8, Jones 47.2
    Net: Anger 40.8, Jones 40.5
    Average per return: Anger 12.4, Jones 10.1

7. 45souf

45souf Member

Ogletree is fast, raw but fast.

8. Rick Rambis

Rick Rambis Member

Agree 100%. And if I could say 1 thing this Texans team needs, its speed. How often is a kickoff returned 94 yds and its NOT a touchdown? probably not very often. Our LBs are slow, our WRs and TEs do not have great speed either.

9. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Posey getting injured really messes **** up.

10. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

the other word would be explosiveness on the offensive side of the ball and on special teams. at this point, I think Foster has that...but I think that's about it.

11. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, Donny Jones had a pretty decent year punting the ball

I tend to agree. I think they will let the OL develop.

As for WR, the posey injury certainly hurts and i think because of that injury, they may look for a WR in this draft, but I don't think it will be top on their list.

This team needs a couple of athletic and fast ILBs that can fly around the field. They would also help on special teams.

12. 45souf

45souf Member

Who is available for us to get FA wise?

13. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

14. 45souf

45souf Member

ILB is where we going?

15. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

It's where we should go but ILB is the new WR2, our coaches like our guys playing those roles, not young players. So it wouldn't surprise me if we don't grab one in the first round.

16. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I can imagine few scenarios that would have them going any other way. The losses of Ryans and Cushing were too much to overcome. Dobbins was ok when healthy. Sharpton never got healthy. Ruud was a street free agent for a reason. James had his moments but his better days are well in the past. They need depth in a bad way.

17. Rick Rambis

Rick Rambis Member

Guys is a beast. Leading tackler and considered the hear and soul of the vaunted LSU defense. He fits the mold of a traditional ILB in the NFL. And thats my only worry on him. While his coverage skills are still developing and could improve I believe Ogletree has the same abilities as Minter while he is much better in coverage. Ogletree is a converted safety! That being said I would be more than happy with either one of these guys at pick 27, just please no Teo.

18. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

1st round: Ryan Nassib, QB Syracuse

Then go from there.

19. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

It would be a DREAM scenario for Manti Te'o to fall the Texans. I wouldn't mind seeing the Texans trade up 10-11 spots to nab him.

20. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

I don't see the Texans using their 1st round pick on a player who is not going to play every down. Cushing is going to be the sole ILB in on passing plays when he comes back.

I see the Texans going for ILB in the 2nd or 3rd, and maybe getting another in the later rounds.