1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston Texans 2011 NFL Draft

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by bluffkin, Jan 26, 2011.

1. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Nate Solder is also moving up a lot of draft boards, so that adds another offensive player potentially taken in the top 10

2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

I can't imagine the Redskins being stupid enough to take Newton.

3. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

I wouldn't run away from Paea over a meniscus tear, assuming it wasn't complete. It would still be ideal to nab a capable starter at NT, CB, or S at #11 if at all possible....and NT is the most likely to be found.

Well, I don't think Newton is a terrible gamble at QB. I agree that the Redskins aren't a likely landing point, because I have a tough time seeing Shanahan want him.

I have heard Newton being on Buffalo's short list. They like Fitzpatrick, but this is a franchise that routinely chases a marketable star in the draft over defense.

Bengals, Cards, 49ers, and Titans might also have to think about drafting him.

4. DonnyMost

I would be willing to bet my signature for an entire NFL season that Cam Newton will not be a starting NFL quarterback in 5 years.

Not since Jamarcus Russell has a prospect had bust written on him so obviously.

14 career games with only 280 attempted passes?

I would never spend a 1st round pick on a QB with that small of a body of work.

5. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

If any of these guys fall to the Texans I hope they get them:
    P. Patterson
    Prince Amukamara
    Von Miller

If not select either: Akeem Ayers or Ryan Kerrigan in the first
    2nd round: Phil Taylor NT Baylor 6'3 350 lbs.

Pick up FA DB.

6. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Cam will be a star in this league..Hopefully not in Snyderland....I hope he goes to San Francisco or Minnesota....He needs pieces around him early so he will be a complete back later....ie Aaron Rodgers, Rivers, Brees

7. tierre_brown

tierre_brown Contributing Member

I am intrigued by Corey Liuget, DT from Illinois. Depending on how the draft shakes out, we might be able to trade down and take him in the low 20s.

Also, 2011 seems to be the year of the DE. There's just so much depth in the top 10 or so DEs. Any possibility of taking a DE and sliding Antonio Smith into the DT? Probably not an ideal scenario, and we'd still want a true NT, but there seems to be a ton of value to be had if we slide down a bit and pick up a DE (Adrian Clayborn, Ryan Kerrigan, Cameron Jordan, JJ Watt, Cameron Heyward, and Allen Bailey).

8. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I have a gut feeling that Kerrigan might end up being the guy. He's built like a prototypical 3-4 Will LB, and apparently he took over the game for a couple of stretches in the Senior Bowl. Given the importance of that position in a 3-4, I don't think they will want to depend on Connor Barwin coming off a major injury to be "the guy". I think they are going to address that position before anything else if they can.

9. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

I agree 100% with this. Auburn has done a fantastic job of masking the fact that Newton simply cannot throw an accurate ball. Unless the receiver is wide open, his first (and only) instinct is to tuck and run. That will only take him so far before defenses start keying in on him. He might make some plays with his legs, but the hits will take their toll.

10. The Real Shady

I've heard Kerrigan really improved his stock as well. 3-4 OLB's seem to be a strength at where the Texans are picking so I would rather have one of them instead of reach for a NT or DB.

I would be okay with moving up or down from our pick as well.

11. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

No, I meant that people I've heard this mentioned in mock drafts think he'd be available at the time the Texans' selection is. :eek: I know I've heard that if he's available, that's whom they will select.

12. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

You could be right, I just didn't see anything glaring in his game that troubled me - and I was panning JaMarcus Russell hard when he was drafted.

And for all the knocks he received from us a year ago...Tebow did a fair job shutting people up with his play in December.

13. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Donny, I think I'd take that bet. But I'd want to see his Wunderlich number and I'd like to hear what a couple of OC's say about his ability to read defenses after tests and interviews. I think Cam throws well enough, but is he smart enough and will he work hard enough.

14. The Real Shady

Why do question what Cam will get on the Wunderlich, but not the other QB's?

[​IMG]

15. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Dude... Ummm... I CAN'T STOP LOOKING AT THAT GIF. :eek: then :grin: then :(

16. The Real Shady

I can't get enough of these .gif's from http://www.jamesvandermemes.com/

[​IMG]

17. lionaire

lionaire Member

2nd Round: JacQuizz Rodgers, RB - Oregon State

18. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Because he's black. :rolleyes:

I think mental acuity is an important factor in every possible QB pick. The examples of physically superior college quarterbacks that excel in college but flounder in the NFL make it pretty clear that the mental load of learning an offense, making the pre-snap reads and check downs requires an intellectual capacity and thinking skills above and beyond that of the average person, It requires a commitment to academic study. And it also requires the right mindset of confidence and desire to he the team leader.

To not compare the situation of Cam Newton to Vince Young and Jamarcus Russell would be to avoid the obvious for sake of political correctness; but this is a muti-million dollar business decision. There is a genetic advantage that makes some black quarterbacks so dominant physically in the college game, that's just a fact. However, there is no genetic factor in there mental skills, it just that some people have the academic capacity and some don't. Some have the character values and some don't; some have the charisma to lead and some don't (Ryan Leaf).

For the record, I think Cam Newton will be a franchise quarterback, a star in the NFL and should be drafted around #15 by a team that doesn't need him to start on day 1 but move into the starting spot 10 or 12 games into his first season. But I still want to see his numbers. I'm hoping he tests well and someone wants to move up to #11 to take him so the Texans can trade down some and get an additional 2 or 3.

I think the testing will be important to the evaluation of Colin Kaepernick too.
    But that's just because he is Hispanic.

#58 Dubious, Feb 1, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2011
  19. DonnyMost

I think the answer to all 3 of those is a resounding no.

20. DonnyMost

Meh.

He beat the Raiders (with his legs) and the Texans (lol), then promptly got squashed like a bug under foot by a real defense against San Diego (even though their season was over and had nothing to play for).

Color me unimpressed.