1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston Texans 2011 NFL Draft

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by bluffkin, Jan 26, 2011.

1. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

That depends on whose available at #11, if Quinn is there, then you're talking about a stud OLB prospect and it's arguable that he is the best OLB in the draft. If he's there, would you rather have Peterson alone or Quinn along with a guy like Paea, Phil Taylor, Brandon Harris, etc...?

Not sure if the asking price is a 1st (#11) and 2nd (#42) straight up for #5 or if it's a 1st, a 2nd, plus other picks. If it's just a 1st and 2nd, I'd be okay with the deal but I think it's gonna cost more than that which is where I start getting weary.

#421 gucci888, Apr 28, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 28, 2011
  2. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

charlie casserly was still acting as GM through the 2006 draft

3. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

[​IMG]

(edit: jesus h. christ casserly is ugly as sin)

#423 DonnyMost, Apr 28, 2011
  4. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

I didn't forget that. I just don't consider that part of this whole discussion about moving up/down in (during) the draft.

It was a big gamble though, and it absolutely paid off.

Want to see them roll the dice again, honestly.

5. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Because the position is so much about quickly reacting to the movements of WR's, if CB's get a whole lot taller, they tend to have trouble reacting quickly because their extremities are further out from their center of mass. To react as quickly as a more compact CB would require disproportionately more quickness/strength.

But as teams have gone more towards 6'4"+ Marques Colston/Larry Fitzgerald types, CB's have been getting bigger. There are a whole bunch of 6'0"+ CB's who will get drafted in the first three rounds this year (and not really any 5'8" or 5'9" Aaron Glenn types who are now pretty much typecast as being limited to guarding slot recievers), whereas 20 years ago, during the waterbug run-and-shoot era, there would only be one or two at the top of the draft.

Back in the day when CB's used to be able to basically molest WR's down the entire field with the bump-and-run physical stuff, the height/weight of WR's and CB's used to be more proportionate. This is similar to what happened in the NBA with the hand-checking rule.

#425 Ottomaton, Apr 28, 2011
  6. J.R.

J.R. Member

Asked him why he got that feeling or how he came away with that.

Response: Brought up Houston, froze a bit, then said he's looking forward to the "surprise" of it all. Also, we talked mostly 34 teams

7. Creepy Crawl

Creepy Crawl Member

Same here, I'm thinking Vernon Gholston. :(

8. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

I think were taking Quinn,Prince, or Peterson. Aldon smith would be a defensive end in our system if I'm not mistaken?

9. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

I'm sure he would play some OLB just like Barwin. Def a 3-4 guy

10. Pete the Cheat

if Fairley is still on the board, along with Prince, Quinn and Smith. Do you take the NT?

11. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

I would be pretty disappointed if we passed on Fairley for anyone other than Peterson or Von Miller. We've been searching for a force on the d-line like Fairley for a long time.

12. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

By every account that doesn't come directly from CC - that was Kubiak's pick.

13. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

that would be interesting. It's a toss up between fairley and quinn for sure

14. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Fairley won't slip to 11. I'm beating a dead horse but why did we win that freakin Jags game? :confused: Tanking should have been the only option.

15. J.R.

J.R. Member

While I agree that he wont slip or fall to 11, most have him going 8 to Tennessee. What if they "shock" the world and go QB? Do you think Dallas or Washington take him?

And you leave those kids alone! Those kids were battlefightin' their tails off that last game!:p Obviously kidding, ha.

16. msn

msn Member

The whole draft is a "bust risk".

17. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

True. But a slightly older player with more of a track record in college, a proven motor and game IQ takes out some of the risks. If I were the Panthers I would take Dareus and save my QB pick till the second. I'm not spending $50 million dollars unless a kid can read defenses, execute checkdowns, throw lasers and inspire the dead. (I've seen Dalton do that)

I don't know anything for real about Smith. It's just my intuition from 30 years of watching drafts.

#437 Dubious, Apr 28, 2011
  18. msn

msn Member

Dude, when I finish my time machine I am so sending your ass back to 2002. Just sayin'.

19. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Abso-fricking-lutely. I still think he's the best player in the draft. He showed it on the field. Whatever happened since January to make him somewhat less desirable wouldn't matter much to me.

20. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

Dream scenario. Take Fairley and trade Okoye for extra picks. Then we can try to move up and draft another boom or bust pick CB Jimmy Smith. :cool: