1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston Strip Clubs Ordered to Close!!!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by glad_ken, May 11, 2007.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I'm going to propose a law that bans churches within 1500 feet of strip clubs.

Keep the clubs pure.

2. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

You know, just the other night, I was sitting in the office, thinking about making a Men's Club run... ...was going to go make it rain at the titter... now I will never have that chance... never got the chance to say goodbye... never got the chance to thank these establishments for the years of entertainment... ..it's just hard not to get emotional right now. A piece of me is gone forever. It's a dark day for Houston, Texas. Here's to the memories...

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/vxRiskXLQ1c"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/vxRiskXLQ1c" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

3. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

TJ, I was expecting something more along the lines of, "THIS IS AN OUTRAGE THAT SHALL NOT STAND!!!"

I'm surprised with your sentimentality. Perhaps Tinman has heart afterall. :D

4. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

You know, this is what you numbnuts get for voting for Bill White for mayor. I told you people not to make this mistake a few years ago. You dug you grave, now you get to lay in it...

t*** UP

5. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

mmmmm..... titty pollution.

6. Locke

Locke Member

Just regulate prostitution already.
    Jeez.

7. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

If it was one of those wouldnt I have went in back with her and two of her friends?? ;):p

I would imagine you have your fair share of stripper stories....werent you a rock musician in the 80s? You know as well as I do that strippers and bands go together like backbeats and basslines.

or they sure seemed to in the Z-rock style club scene in Houston back then.

8. Saint Louis

Saint Louis Member

And my family and friends thought Mayor Brown was bad. First he invites the scum of New Orleans into the city, now he is taking away your titty bars.

How does Joe Sixpack really feel about this guy?

Makes Mayor Whitmire's love affair with the gay population seem almost harmless doesn't it?

9. Fatty FatBastard

BRILLIANT!

White has assumed dictator of this city.

I"ll give him accolades for what happened during Katrina.

But can a ONE of you name a good thing that bald f**k has done since?

STRIP HIM OUTTA THERE!

10. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

That s.o.b issued an edict closing all the massage parlors at 11PM recently. Where do I go at 2 AM when I want a massage?

:cool: :eek:

11. Fatty FatBastard

Speaking of S.O.B. Can you tell the difference btw a "spa" or a "massage parlor" and a strip club?

That 5806 btw chimney rock and fountainview has been there since we were kids.

FACT: That place has been there since I went around that area. In fact, there used to be a really cool car place next to it.

FACT: I defy any of you Houstonians to recall how warped your life was by living in all of this debauchery. BTW, I'm 35.

FACT: The one time I vote democrat he goes uber-Christian on me?

White needs to go! Now! And this needs to be appealed again and again, etc.

insured in America costs $50-200 bucks.

It's like car insurance.

If you want to be covered by bumps and bruises, that's going to cost a bit more.

But kids already have chips. Erik Estrada saw to that.

As for us adults? pay $50-100 and shut up! Y'all don't whine about car insurance, and that is mandatory!

12. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

White did not make the ordinance, the city council did in 1997. He is just enforcing it after a federal ruling 10 years later. I don't see how that makes him a dictator.

13. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Still a rock musician. :)

Most of the strippers I knew - and I knew my fair share - were one's I met while working at a music store. There was a tanning place in the same strip center (all puns intended) and they used to come down to the store and hang out after they tanned. Several of them wanted us to tell them if their implants looked (and felt) real...seriously.

The funniest thing is that cliche about musicians dating them. It was totally true. I remember seeing a scene in a movie where a dancer goes with her boyfriend to buy a new guitar and pays for it for him in cash. I saw that scene repeated MANY times in the store.

Of course, I saw a lot of them out at shows - Backstage, Cardi's (when I was too young to know the difference), Rock Zone and other hard rock clubs at that time. Frankly, I didn't really need to go to the strip clubs to see them. :) And, that was a time when they wouldn't let guys with long hair into any of the more up-scale strip clubs because so many of the dancers would spend their time dancing for those guys for free because they preferred them to the doctors, lawyers, etc.

Ah, the 80's. :)

14. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Here is my ONLY thing I'll agree with on this ordinance. Being a former massage therapist, I can tell you that "massage parlors" and the like make it REALLY difficult to practice the therapeutic version. I used to get calls from men fairly often looking for a guy massage "with extras." EW!

There is often the assumption that therapists are one step removed from sex workers and really good, legitimate therapists can do a lot of good for people health-wise.

The worst was taking out an ad and being right next to "Gina's FOUR HANDS" massage where Gina and her girlfriend would give you a sensual massage in the privacy of your own home. Ugh. I actually had a request for me AND my wife to give this guy a massage at the same time. Yuck!!!

15. Bobblehead

Bobblehead Contributing Member

WOW....I remember Cardi's. I was probably one of the youngest people allowed in that club. I was going there when I was 12 because my Mom managed a hard rock group named "Ripper" that used to play there. I would help sell t-shirts, cassettes and records...YES...tape cassettes and LPs.
    Wow...the 80's!!!!

Oh yeah.....I remember going to an all-nude place called The Riviera Club for my bachelor party. It was 18 and up since they sold no alcohol and I have some underaged friends. We went and took a cooler into the club full of beer. You had to by a min of two soft drinks or water...cost like $5 each!! Crazy!!!!

16. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

It will defeinitely hurt tourism - business travelers who can get away with it traveling on the company frequently wouldl spend the extra night in H-town and go out to the club - now that the major attraction is gone I bet a lot more people will be on the last flight out. There's a reason why those places were booming during th all star game, super bowl, etc.

17. Bobblehead

Bobblehead Contributing Member

Because the majority of the crappy clubs at Hillcroft, Fondren, Bellaire are full of Mexicans!! It is what it is!!

18. Fatty FatBastard

Agreed. But saying a strip club is similar to those massage parlors is tantamount to saying that pubs are similar to strip clubs.

Where's Cochran when we actually need him.

19. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

People will joke about it, but it will affect tourism and convention bookings. I have good friends in the business world who travel frequently and/or go to conventions, and if anyone doesn't think Houston's rep for it's men's clubs isn't an aspect of bookings, they are looking through rose-tinted glasses.

This whole thing is ludicrous. Especially pertaining to clubs that were located where they are before the ordinance was passed with none of the places supposedly "harmed" by them even in existence there at the time. And I don't even go to the places. You can't legislate morality... all you can do is drive it underground, which I think is a big mistake. There should be a compromise here, and so far, I haven't heard of anything like it coming from White's office.

20. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

since I didnt work in a music store (just hung out in them drooling OFTEN), I cant speak for that part, but the rest of it is so totally true it isnt even funny.

I met a girl at a gig once that worked at the Mens Club, and we were going by to pick her up from work one night, and got there earlier than expected....we had to wait outside cause for some reason standard rock club wear wasnt up to their standards. :)

had a long time friend that worked at Moulin Rouge in SoHo (S Houston for the unintiated) and she used to call us all the time to come by and keep them company cause they didnt like the scuzzballs that were in the place...free beer and free lapdances?? uuummm....yea I guess we can swing by for a while.. :D

indeed.....ah the 80s (when you didnt even have to be a good musician to benefit from the scene)