1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Houston Sports Talk podcast] Interview w/veteran Rockets Ball Boy

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by sweetbobl, Nov 27, 2013.

1. sweetbobl

sweetbobl Member

All you veteran Rocket fans would recognize him down on the sidelines. Gage Mueller has been the Rockets ball boy for 15 years. He talks about what it's like & gives a few interesting stories about current & former Rocket players.

For Astro fans, check out the Bill Brown interview from last week & this week we talked with former Chron Astros beat writer & current Baseball Prospectus writer Zachary Levine.

http://houstonsportstalkpod.podomatic.com/

Let me know what you think of the interviews. Are they any good?

2. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Says Mark Jackson cussed at them for not paying attention when he was a Pacer, but later turned out to be a great guy to deal with, when he came to Houston. Says he "took care of him" when he left.

Battier one of his favorites to deal with. Sent shane a gift for his newborn once and shane mailed him back a thank you note, along with a check for his playoff bonus for that year (or part of the bonus, can't really tell from how he said it).

Also says these younger players don't take care of the little guys, who help out with the team, like guys in the past used to do. There's only a few older guys who still do it, but that type is becoming extinct.

Langhi, Nachbar, Rice, all great/nice guys.

Says Yao and Dwight are actually similar, don't take things too seriously.

Once mentioned to Lin to call him by his first name because players will sometimes call him kid, dawg, etc. and Lin was very apologetic towards him and said he would because it's the professional thing to do. Next day Lin remembered and told him he'd thought about it a lot and wouldn't forget.

Hayes, Lowry, and tmac once played on his team in a softball league he's part of.

#2 RV6, Nov 27, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2013
  3. Pumpedupkicks

Pumpedupkicks Member

Thanks for the transcript, RV6!

I look hearing behind the scene stuff. Can't wait to give it a listen. Also, anyone know how old the ball boy is?

4. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Probably around 31. Have to be 16 to start and I think that's when he started.

5. mig0s

mig0s Member

How much are ballboys paid? Like minimum wage?

6. ch0c0b0fr34k

ch0c0b0fr34k Member

I imagine so. But if you count the free seats to Rockets games over 15 years...dude's probably getting paid a respectable amount.

7. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Is he the husky looking fella?

8. ChievousFTFace

ChievousFTFace Contributing Member

Nopeā€¦ Gage is skinny and has short brown hair. His brother Greg is one of the dunkers on acrodunk.

9. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

He sounds entitled. like the younger players really have THAT much extra cash.

10. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

I think he was referring to the new school wave of players, not necessarily young guys in age like Canaan, Jones, etc. I'd guess he means those that came in within the last 7 year or so. It does feel like players are less "grown" in the last decade, at least to how i remember it in the 90s. Back then the top teams were all like KG's celtics or spurs. Now you're said to be done at 32 and eveyone is looking for the next young thing.

#10 RV6, Nov 27, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2013