1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston Smoking Ban

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by MR. MEOWGI, Jun 15, 2003.

1. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

Austin, Dallas, San Antonio are going / have gone smoke free in all restaurants and bars. Will H-Town be the next Texas victim? I hope not. I just don't understand why there can't be both smoking and non-smoking bars? Poor, poor, freedom....What's next, banning beer from bars? :(

http://www.smokersclub.com/newsltr.htm
    http://www.no-smoke.org/#alerts

2. Band Geek Mobster

Of course, your freedom to smoke takes away non-smokers freedom to breath clean air...

3. MR. MEOWGI

MR. MEOWGI Contributing Member

Uh, read the part in my first post that says something about both smoking and non-smoking bars...

4. mrpaige

mrpaige Contributing Member

Dallas didn't end up banning smoking in bars, just restaurants.

And I'm still waiting for my clothing optional, no health code restaurants. Poor, poor freedom.

#4 mrpaige, Jun 15, 2003
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2003
  5. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

It should be up to the business owner. They are the ones who are trying to attract a certain clientele. Are we going to ban smoking in cigar bars? How about smoke shops?

BTW, I don't smoke, so that is not why I support this side on this issue. I believe that smoking/nonsmoking sections should be enough for non smokers. The problem is the rabid non smokers who just can't mind their own busines and let other people do what they want. Why can't y'all just sit in non and ignore the idiots smoking those cancer sticks?

In bars it shouldn't even be a question if the owner wants to allow smoking. The owner is not operating a christian bookstore where people are welcome to come pollute the air with their smoke. When a patron goes to a bar, they are not attending a church dance, they are going someplace to drink alcohol (infinitely more dangerous than second hand tobacco smoke) if not to find a potential sex partner (which could also be risky behavior).

If you want to enjoy smoke free air, go to a museum, library, movie, shopping, or to any of the thousands of other places where smoking is either not allowed or is frowned upon.

6. wouldabeen23

wouldabeen23 Contributing Member

The results of the somking ban in NewYork have been somewhat disasterous--angry bar patrons and decreased business. It's ridiculous...I mean, uppers and downers go SOOOO well together!:D

7. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

I am all for banning smoking in all restaurants.

As far as bars are concerned, it should be up to the bar owner.

Many bars in Los Angeles opened patio areas for smokers after the ban went into effect.

8. Buck Turgidson

From what I understand, once the new mayor/councilmembers take office, they've pledged to repeal the ban that was just passed last week.

9. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

If I went into the Marquis II and nobody was smoking, it just wouldn't be the same. Nothing like leaving the bar and having to go shower because your hair stinks so bad from the smoke. I've thrown away clothes I've worn to the Marquis because I figured the stank would never come out.

10. cson

cson Contributing Member

"mmmmmmm, cancer, yummmmmm"

11. B

B Contributing Member

I wouldn't be crying if this passes, in fact I may be more prone to leave the house more often. Throw in bars and I might even go to them once in a while. Add bowling alleys to the mix and I'd be in heaven (oh wait, I forgot they charge $3+ a game now).

B

12. SlvrBtl

SlvrBtl Member

Living in Cali you get used to it. It's kinda funny now that when I go to Texas I don't realize that when I go out that it is allowed. Almost seems like it's something new.