1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston Rockets ready to retire Yao Jersey !

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by typhooonn, Jan 23, 2013.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

When any of the legends left or retired from the Rockets nobody got their jersey.

When McGrady left, tons of players have played #1, this is true with his former teams.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. houston#1

houston#1 Rookie

Are the Rockets going to retire his jersey on All-Star Weekend? If so, it would be a big honor for Yao. I hope that will happen.

3. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

I'm gonna get alot of flack for this but, I don't think Yao deserves it overall. Not even close.

4. norcalhussla

norcalhussla Member

he deserves it cuz he single-handedly made China luv basketball. theres a **** load of ppl in China! NBA made $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

5. Orange

Orange Member

Its an owners decision it does not matter what fans think.
    Its like you telling me what jerseys I should hang on my wall.

6. 3dahardenway

3dahardenway Member

Congrats Yao.

7. NL Rocket

NL Rocket Member

At least back it up coward! He was the best center in the league for many years (Yes even better than Howard), was putting up great numbers, has been an all-star for many years (not just because of Chinese fans), had to overcome a lot of stereotypical, racist and mockery from everybody in the NBA(!), made the Rockets significant, was part of a 22 game winning streak that is still 2nd best in the NBA + he's humble, a gracious man who fought through every single injury and risked his career every time.

8. tie22fighter

tie22fighter Contributing Member

Congratulation big Yao. I am happy for you.

2009 playoff would had been your crowning achievement if not for the injury.

9. rn_xw

rn_xw Member

I think Yao deserves this. He made the Rockets relevant again. The Rockets gained millions of fans(and dollars), and he was an icon of the basketball world. That alone is enough for jersey retirement.

Btw He should be in HOF too. It is the basketball HOF afterall.

10. y2Joem

y2Joem Member

his contributions to basketball and socio-political issues is more than enough to have his jersey retired imo

11. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

You also forgot to note they all played an extremely long time in the league and dwarf Yao's career stats. They all also won several more playoff series than Yao ever did.

12. houston#1

houston#1 Rookie

Do you think Rockets should also retire Mutumbo's jersey?

13. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Under normal circumstances, probably not. But Deke as an individual is an exception and I think they should. It was a memorable couple of years.

14. SwellyExpress

SwellyExpress Member

awesome.. still miss the big guy..

15. redwhiteone

redwhiteone Member

Congratulations Big 11!