1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston Rockets move toward formal offer to Mike D'Antoni

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Air Langhi, May 19, 2016.

1. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Morey locked himself up in his office, staring at his computer screen, talking to himself: "Even Clutchfans posters know hiring D'Antoni is an idiotic move... What am I going to do?"

2. ballplayer

ballplayer Contributing Member

This move tells me Les is moving away from Morey ball. If this happens Morey is a short timer as the Rockets GM.

3. dkoune

dkoune Rookie

4. conquistador#11

bev can take over where nash left off.

sniff sniff. I think he gets a bad rep for the years not spent coaching the suns. but when he was with the suns, he was a revolutionary offensive genius. And they should have been in the finals until big shot bob landed a shot on Nash. Hoooooweva, he is not what this team needs. I can see Harden tuning him out. And how is Morley supposed to acquire what that system needs in the span of 80 days.

5. Caesar

Caesar Member

Of course he will be a head coach one day...but i dont care if he is our assistant and ends up getting hired somewhere else while we are stuck with MDA. I would have rather have signed Nash NOW and surrounded him with a great assistant staff.

6. thumps

thumps Contributing Member

Putting aside whether D'Antoni is a good coach or not (and he did at least have a good record in Phoenix), two things are true:

1) D'Antoni does not adapt to the players he has and will run his system regardless (see NY and Lakers).

2) The Rockets do not currently have the players to run D'Antoni's system.

These are big concerns.

7. craguin

craguin Member

I mentioned Skiles yesterday as a possibility:

More on Skiles:
    Skiles Holds All Players Accountable, Expects Defensive Excellence

8. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

There is no bright side, we will lose more and more games until we are bottom 3 like the last 3 teams he coached:mad::mad::mad:

9. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

When you have many leaders, you have no leaders.

10. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

If it was indeed 100% Les, and I'm Morey, I step down now and protect my brand. Plenty of jobs available for Daryl Morey.

11. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm kind of surprised in your lack of confidence in James Harden here. You really think a Harden-led team will sink to the bottom 3?? :rolleyes:

12. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

This is a 100% inaccurate statement

D'Clowntoni invented Moreyball

13. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Look, D'Antoni is not blowing my panties off, but if he is the guy, he deserves a bit more than instant condemnation from the fanbase. Atleast give him a chance.

14. photojoe

photojoe Member

That's the problem. D'Antoni's "strengths" are the things the Rockets were already decent or good at. D'Antoni's weaknesses are the things the Rockets already suck at.

It's like last season we watched a train wreck. Instead of the Rockets taking the time to repair what's broken, they are just doubling down with the same broken system.

15. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

I didn't visit the site as often back then, but I know I personally hated that hire at the time. I figured the intention at the time was to tank(or at least not be very competitive), so I accepted that move as not being very consequential. But the moment they lucked into Harden and then Dwight a year later, having McHale on the sidelines became a huge liability as evidenced by Stotts completely outclassing him in the Portland series.

I'm kind of in a similar mindset right now. I hate this hire, but I'm expecting some ugly seasons over the next few years. So ultimately it may not matter who they brought in to coach. The only thing that could change that is if Morey somehow hits a grand slam this summer in free agency(i.e. signing Horford and Conley). Then suddenly picking the wrong coach becomes a potentially devastating move.

But seeing as how that kind of luck in signing players is extremely unlikely, I don't think it's gonna make a difference that they picked D'Antoni over JVG aside from confirming that Les doesn't have a f'ing clue what he's doing.

16. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

Why would Harden stay here with such an incompetent owner?

We will get no marquee free agents now... Mark it down

17. brosef

brosef Member

Logical thinking. :confused:

18. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Part of me still wonders how much this factors into the equation.

I'm not saying you should hire a coach who'll make sure a player leaves; that happens to be a fringe benefit here (I think Dwight would leave anyway, though).

And I think Les Alexander is a chump who knows nothing about basketball and hires the Good Interview candidates. Those of you using this hire as an excuse to go after Morey? I doubt this was his selection.

But maybe D'Antoni would lure our Euro-stash players to come over (Llull, Gentile). If nothing else, D'Antoni is an upgrade over McHale. That isn't saying much, but it's something. Hopefully the roster will fall into place as needed.

19. Tato1971

Tato1971 Member

First McHale (terrible mistake), then Bickerstaff (another terrible mistake) and now... D'Antoni? This franchise is adrift in the storm.

20. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

if you don't think that Harden has influenced this decision (assuming D'Antoni is the guy), then you haven't been paying attention.