1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston Rockets Hire Wrong Coaching Candidate In Kevin McHale

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Yao4REAL, May 27, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

Kevin McHale's poor track records as an exec and interim coach should immediately concern Houston fans.

Follow @sbnkansascity on Twitter, and Like SB Nation Kansas City on Facebook.

May 27, 2011 - After rumors that had former NBA great Kevin McHale as a frontrunner for the Houston Rockets head coaching gig, the word is now official with a contract in place to officially succeed Rick Adelman. According to ESPN, McHale beat out other finalists like Lawrence Frank and Dwane Casey. Yet despite being able to flash some high profile bling from his playing days and holding onto his one great draft pick of Kevin Garnett, it remains to be seen what the draw was for Houston execs to pull the trigger on this deal.

The bottom line is that Kevin McHale has been an Isaiah Thomas-lite on this side of his NBA playing days. Several miserable years as a Minnesota Timberwolves executive finally came to an end before the 2009-2010 season, leaving behind a legacy of wasted draft choices, embarrassing sanctions from David Stern for the Joe Smith free agency debacle and a 39-55 interim coaching record in two different stints. As a player, he was one of the best of all time. As anything else basketball-related, he's been a miserable failure.

So why would Houston give up on Adelman? Perhaps it was time for fresh blood, but certainly the failure to make the playoffs cannot rest on his shoulders alone. Adelman went 193-135 in his four full seasons in Houston. He also went 9-10 in the NBA Playoffs, missing the last two seasons, including this year when the Rockets sunk to fifth place in their division with a 43-39 record. Yet the injuries mounted early and often for the Rockets, so it's not all Adelman's fault. Of course, it's assumed Adelman will find another job soon, given he was a finalist for the Lakers job already.

McHale will face the same issues, like health, as Adelman, since no single Rockets player suited up for 82 games last season. A stress fracture kept Yao Ming from playing most of last season, limiting him to five games, and even though he says everything is healing well, it's questionable whether he will even be able to play this year as well. The injury history is long for Ming and it creates all kinds of questions on the team's identity since Yao is such a force when healthy.

The team also has to make up for the departure of team leader and do-it-all forward Shane Battier after trading him to the Memphis Grizzlies next season, but the Rockets do have the No. 14 and No. 23 picks in the upcoming NBA Draft. To that end, they can add some needed depth or secure a top player in the lottery if they can move up enough. Still, McHale has shown no ability to make either of these things work in the past. He has his work cut out for him to bring out the best in project center Hasheem Thabeet and find an identity for a team in need of one in a competitive Western Conference.

2. Chris Jent MVP

good thing he isn't bbeing hired as an exec then.

3. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

Hiring McHale Shows Moneyball Parallels For Rockets

by Rivers McCown • May 27, 2011 12:37 PM CDT

One of the key things to come out about the Rockets' decision to hire Kevin McHale as their latest head coach so far is the fact that they want to make sure that Rio Grande Valley Vipers head coach Chris Finch is given an assistant coaching position. The Rockets having the power to hire an assistant-in-waiting was a big draw for them earlier, and was one of the reasons that Rick Adelman did not remain in Houston.

The Rockets became sold on McHale because they believe he will be a good communicator with their young players. Front office officials also believe McHale has a hunger to succeed as a coach in his post-Hall of Fame playing career.

The Rockets will have a great deal of input into McHale's coaching staff - and perhaps even style of play - sources said. McHale's coaching staff will include the promotion of Houston's D-League coach, Chris Finch of Rio Grande Valley, into a prominent position on McHale's bench.

Very interesting. If these reports are true, then McHale has essentially agreed to become a dummy head coach, much like Oakland Athletics skippers of the past have been accused of being under general manager Billy Beane. Apparently Houston's front office would like to have control over every bit of the coaching staff that they can.

4. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

The only thing more upsetting than Kevin McHale's track record is your signature.

5. Chris Jent MVP

and why shouldn't they ???

6. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

yeah his track record blows with that garnett pick what was he thinking? Yeah that part where he was high on kevin love? Talk about a crappy track record!!

All those championships at boston? so what that means nothing.. it's all about coaching track record on a team with al jefferson as its star. Talk about a tomato can.. mchale is a bum.

7. RocketDonut

RocketDonut Contributing Member

lol. for real.

8. RocketRaccoon

RocketRaccoon Contributing Member

I wouldn't say dummy head coach. I would think that Les/Morey is redefining what a coach is for our Rockets. Morey's player tactics are basically new...and working. Maybe this idea will work too. I've got all the time in the world to let them give it a try.

9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

So . .the Coach as an Asset *grin*

We will see how this rides out .. . but man . ..
    Morey is beginning to look like a super control freak.

"You cannot be Janitor in the Toyota Center unless you pick up sodas with your left hand . . .LEFT HAND ONLY . . and pick up paper trash with the RIGHT!" - D morey

*grin*
    We will see . . . hopefully this will be ok.

I get the feeling Morey has Kubiak like job security

Rocket River

10. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Relax, I'm in the "Lets see how it turns out" camp with K-mac.

I think it could work out, but Morey is putting all his chips in with Les.

11. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Should Memphis have been immediately concerned about Hollins 18-42 record as an interim coach prior to them hiring him?

How about OKC? Did Brooks' 22-47 record as an interim coach concern them?

How concerned was Miami, Chicago or Atlanta because Spolstra, Thibodeau and Drew had zero head coaching experience prior to being hired?

Am I to assume that you would have prefered Casey's 53-69 or Frank's 225-241 records?

1 person likes this.
  12. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Links? You neglected to post a link in your last thread as well.

13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Please keep talking. I am trying to feel better about this decision.
    This helps.

Rocket River

14. authentic91

authentic91 Member

I think Kevin McHale is exactly what this franchise needs. A fresh face, a highly respected former player, and someone to open up the phone lines with every team in the league. Not to mention I'm completely giddy about the fact that he's going to be working with our current big men and future big men that I'm sure, or at least hoping, will be acquired sooner rather then later. With Finch coming in, running the exact same offense, I doubt we fall off in that category. Now it's all about stealing that assistant from Memphis to have someone implement all of Morey's data and help our defense out.

15. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Why exactly are the PHONE LINES closed or Down?

Rocket River

16. authentic91

authentic91 Member

Not exactly closed, but i would think sort of limited. I wouldn't want to trade with DM with his track record of basically raping other teams. I'm not saying he has won EVERY trade, but i would say he has had a nice upper hand in just the vast majority of them. Also, it's more of McHale having his personality and stature around the league that will make other teams inclined to listen. I would certainly bet that we wont be doing 90%(exaggeration) of our trades with the Kings anymore.

17. rock4ever

rock4ever Member

Well, the Morey lovers have taken another loss. After pages of back in forth PR spin from clutchfan posters, this article proves:

A. The Rockets wanted a "dummy" coach all along

B. Part of the reason Adelman was let go was because he wouldn't let Morey dictate who his assistants were

The Rockets have no idea how stupid they look right now. You let a HOF walk just so you can hire a dummy coach. I'd like to know how the Morey followers spin this

18. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

I know this might sound like a stupid question but do you think kevin mchale will make kyle lowry a bench player

19. clos4life

clos4life Member

I think I would prefer Rick Adelman's coaching career records over McHale's. I can't believe we gave up Rick for such a steep drop in coaching quality.

I guess Morey can spin it any way he wants but we are in complete tank mode while we groom a future head coach under McHale as one of his assistants.

I wish we could have someone else be the GM and let Morey just handle the draft. It's the one thing he is good at.

20. moreyball

moreyball Member

Who is Dave Joerger? He is being mentioned as the lead assistant for Kevin McHale.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.