1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston Real Problem (Can cost us in playoff) Why hacking doesn't work.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by el_locoteee, Apr 11, 2015.

1. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

If you are going to play such a free ISO style you need better ball handlers, Rockets still don't have a true point guard. The excuse is that Harden is our point guard, well what happens when he sits or when he is doubled.

2. el_locoteee

el_locoteee Member

The problem it also that hack will prevent you from going into you own hot-streak, and the proof is on the pudding the two time SA built any hot streak was when they didn't do the Hack thing.

Second quarter 23-18 No Hack, and the end of the 3rd as soon as Smith went to the bench, they hit us with a 8-0, bye the same old problems OFF REB and two fast break out of a T.O. and a miss. Hacking prevent you from running fast-breaks, the number one way to build hot-streak.

That was the game right there.

Off-course Hack a Dorsey/Capela is definitely the right thing to do, but anybody you hack that shoot around 50% then you just gambling.

Correlation is not causation, Houston have won games where the turning the ball over a lot and shoot a bad percentage but dose that mean that turning the ball over and shooting bad is the way to win games? off course not and overall you will lose more that you win, same with Hacking how many times dose team try this on Howard and they have lost way way way more that win every time.

Hack strategy = gambling, but hack strategy = boring games and the wrong use of rules that was not design for that and why they should fix it by just allow the choice not to shoot FT when on the bonus on off the ball fouls. That will fix that and we can all watch fun games again.

3. el_locoteee

el_locoteee Member

We have one but is old and don't like to shoot, better off the bench and some of our Bigs are great ball handlers for their size, but we just need better decision making and focus and playing with the same core of player for a decade AKA San Antonio can help you do that, but some of the Turn over are just Shaqtin' A Fool material.

4. BigSherv

BigSherv Contributing Member

I know this sounds immature, but while hacka anyone goes on how come the victim of the foul never runs full speed and knocks someone's block off? How come they just roll over and let the foul happen so easily? I am not saying to punch a guy in the face or put your fists up like you are about to throw down but make it a bit tougher? I know this isn't the 80's and players don't play like that anymore but it would send a message; "Sure you can foul me on purpose, but there is going to be some contact. "

Maybe set a huge screen/pick/pick up a blocking foul and pow, makes someone like Green or Parker think twice before they do that again. I see D12 trying to set this little chippy screens all game. Why not get one that makes some players possibly think twice? Maybe you get a T? Maybe you get a flagrant? Just don't give in so easily to their plans.

The whole running away from the guy trying to foul looks sad and you basically look dumb when you get. At least do that and get the guy punished for cheapening of the game.

I get why it is done. I said it like this when my son asked why they were cheating. "There isn't anything in the rules that says you can't do that. They are not cheating. We should make our free throws. Simple as that. What is sad is if this was the one game a family got to attend this season and this is what they had to see for 20 minutes. "

5. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

That's the real problem... I believe. When the going gets tough, we start standing around doing ISO's... just like last year. No ball movement. At least when DMO was out there we could post up and he could create spacing by going out to the 3 point line. It was a devastating loss when he went down. He did a little of everything. Hopefully Dwight can catch a glimmer of himself in the playoffs... He needs to MAN THE *** UP!!

6. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

I know it's Bleacher Report, but someone who praises Harden while at the same time identifying our chief downfall--complete dependence on Harden.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...endence-on-james-harden-be-postseason-undoing

Morey didn't get us Goran or a playmaking PG at the trade deadline. And this iso offense is the offense ever since McHale took over. Some see it as a throwback to 90s basketball, when the game has already evolved to a total team attack.

7. dmoneybangbang

Uh.... Did you forget how this team ran the offense when we had Dragic/Lowry running the show under McHale. Our offense would look a bit better without the turnovers.

8. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

uh ... we also collapsed there at the end and missed the playoffs after Morey famously tweeted that we had more than 94% chances of making it. haha

IIRC we lost 6 games in a row with CFans mad at McHale for trotting out a Scola-Patterson frontline and consigning Dalembert to the bench.

What I remembered in the last game vs UTA was Dragic disappearing, committing TOs and unable to hit the big shots.

9. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

more flashbacks ...

early in that season which was McHale's first with us, Rockets staged a "mini-revolt" of sorts led by Lowry and Lee. They wanted to go back to the Adelman playbook. They didn't like McHale/Finch/Morey offense.

Scola stopped the discontent by shouting "just shut up and play" one time at practice. Scola the consummate professional

10. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

11. zcarenow

zcarenow Member

Goran didn't want to come here and re-sign, so why give up a 1st rounder for a rental?

12. el_locoteee

el_locoteee Member

Another Hack-A-Fail

13. RESINator

RESINator Member

14. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Yeah Bullard explained it pretty clearly last night.

The Rockets offense as a team scores like 1.03 or 1.08? Points per possession. As long as Dwight or Smith goes up there and hits 1/2 every time the strategy isn't really working.

The strategy really is better suited for the truly inept shooters(like Dorsey) who are liable to miss both shots over and over.

15. Braunatron

Braunatron Member

The worst part is that there is nothing the offensive team can do to counter act this strategy. Harden hit that shot from half court and they took it away. He shot it as the whistle blew but they looked at the replay and determined that the foul occurred a couple tenths of a second before the shot. That just cuts the legs off of the team getting fouled.

I understand the argument that we were getting free points if we just hit our FT's, but that strategy is not playing basketball, its exploiting loopholes. Hopefully this issue will be highlighted in the playoffs.