1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Houston Press] Ranking the Local Sports Radio Shows from Worst to First

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Rockets34Legend, May 1, 2012.

1. DonnyMost

DonnyMost Member
    Supporting Member

2. ipaman

ipaman Member

actaully you guys are missing the main point i think.

1. i think caliendo knew who is dad is. is dad is famous for voice of shaggy on scooby doo shows during the 90's.

2. josh knows caliendo does a shaggy and knows his dads is the best obviously. josh wanted to show up caliendo on air that his shaggy was weak compared to daddy.

3. caliendo knows this and goes off calling out josh.

my take on it anyway.

3. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Member

Either way, it's still horrible radio.

4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

In a Jerry Springer kind of way . .

Rocket River

5. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Member

I meant Josh's idea of bringing in his dad to try and prove he does better voices than Cali. That was just a horrible idea for a radio segment.

The end result was much more entertaining. :)

6. updawg

updawg Member

Damn, I've never listened to Josh innes but he sounds like a total asshat

7. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

LOL Cali caught on. Ha.

8. Precision340

Precision340 Member

Yeah Jlo is full of himself on top of that.. that show is going to suck even more without Vandermeer.

9. durvasa

durvasa Member

In what way is Innes a "wunderkind"? I'm not understand why he is perceived as "talented"?

Is he witty? Does he have a good radio voice? Does he have intelligent sports takes?

10. Mattj

Mattj Member

I think you make some interesting points. It is very disappointing to me as someone living in the city how the interest level in everything not named "Texans" has dropped so precipitously. I think this is largely a Houston thing. I consider Arizona and Miami at best equal to Houston in terms of their domain as a sports market. I know people that work in those markets and while there is plenty of interest in football, there is more than enough talk about an average Suns team, the D-Backs, the Heat etc.

I think the Nnamdi Asomugha chase which ended up being Joseph and Manning amped up the "Pavlov's Dog" in the Houston sports consumer. Our chief competitor literally sold a massive chunk of their programming and sales inventory to the Texans themselves to hold on to the game rights. It was a great decision from a ratings standpoint, but a costly one from a revenue standpoint. Our station just brought on two great guys (ND Kalu and Greg Koch) for a largely football related show because that is what the consumer is indicating that they want.

The only question is whether this is just the current cycle or a long term trend. What if the Rockets win the lottery or acquire Dwight Howard? (longshot I know, but just saying)

What if the Astros surprisingly are competitive throughout the season? How quickly will interest come back?

What if last year was a fluke (I doubt it) and the Texans go back to 7-9 or worse?

I love pro football- absolutely love it, but I would be lying if I said I wasn't missing the notion of 3 different sports seasons for the Houston fan base.

11. Indaface

Indaface Member

I agree as much as I enjoy listening to sports radio (drive around most of my day at work so I listen to plenty), it would be nice to hear some effort towards more Rockets or Astros related discussion. Texans own this town right now so It's not that surprising.

I was listening to Charlie P earlier today and some caller called in debating 4 year runs of pitchers and I found it as a refreshing topic just because it was something other than (Rick Smith is an idiot for passing on X player, Jacoby is gone whoohooo, Matt Schwab sux bring in Vince caller, cut Kareem Jackson guy).

Anyway for my daily sports radio listening day...
    6-7 am (Sean on 1560, Big show on commercials)
    7-10 am (Sean and John and Big Show switch off depending on what's more interesting)
    10-11 am (In the Trenches, really starting to like the different dynamic they bring to the football conversation)
    11-12 (nothing worth my time, Mighty is not as annoying as he used to be but still not a fan, and MaD radio I tried but not too interesting)
    12-2 (either the blitz or Matt Thomas, I like the Blitz as a change up in my day since neither guy really knows much about sports and Matt Thomas has a fun way about him)
    2-3 (strictly MT, occasionally venture to 610 but then after a minute switch off because it's so godawful)
    3- till I get back to office (Charlie P, can be a bit on boring side from time to time and his interviews aren't the best, but the man knows sports and is someone who has my respect with his opinions although he gets some morons calling in from time to time)

12. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

I dislike Innes but IMO Caliendo was a bigger douche in that segment just go along with the idea or politely say lets not do that....

13. Rockets34Legend

Your welcome....always an awesome article.

I heard Anus go off ranting on this article (790 was on a commercial) and I was curious to see what the hell he was talking about (I was on the road hearing his ****).

Once I saw it, I knew I had to post it. :cool:

14. Kam

Kam Member

Are you guys making a run for the Rockets? Please at least say, yeah, we're taking a look.

15. Mattj

Mattj Member

Ask me again in 2 weeks. :grin:

16. larsv8

larsv8 Member

I think CP is the most knowledgable but it really gets under my skin how he dogs on the Rockets.

I loathe Warner and Lopez and won't listen to them.

The big show is excellent.

I think my favorite is Matt Thomas though. The way he picks on Gwynn and his producer makes me chuckle.

17. jdh008

jdh008 Member

Good take Matt. Agree completely. One of the things I miss most about the Astros from 1997-2005 is hearing a decent amount of Astros talk on the radio. I'm not saying there is much worth talking about right now with the Astros, but at least it gave us some diversity.

18. gwayneco

gwayneco Contributing Member

I know you guys are only responding to the marketplace, so I don't hold it against any of y'all. And, FWIW, when I do listen, it's exclusively 790.

Still, I find myself fearing tuning in because I fear it will be the same tired Texan theme of that particular week.

A while ago Charlie had on a guest who wrote a book or magazine piece on the relationship between Yogi Berra and Ron Guidry. It was so refreshing, even though it really had nothing to do with the Houston sports scene. It was like an oasis in the desert of Texans talk.

I also love football, but I love baseball even more. Heck, I even like hockey too. I'm weird that way I guess.

19. Kim

Kim Member

I've heard Caliendo on Radio shows all around the country...he's always been a great guest. He has great camaraderie and banter with all sorts of different types of hosts. I'm not a fan of Caliendo, like I wouldn't pay to see his show, but he is funny. The level of unprofessionalism Innes demonstrated in that segment is something I've never ever heard before, and I used to be a truck driver. Wow, how does the program manager let that happen? Glad I don't listen to that show, and now I never will.

20. rimbaud

rimbaud Member
    Supporting Member

I just played it this morning and my wife overheard and asked me to start it over. She is not a sports radio listener and has never heard of Innes but she repeatedly said, "what is that guy's problem?" "wow, he is so insecure" and "he should be fired for that".

I don't listen to that show but that was a great 20 minutes of radio.