1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's the EAST FINALS Game 2 as Tatum and the Celtics host Haliburton and the Pacers. Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[Houston Press] Ranking the Local Sports Radio Shows from Worst to First

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Rockets34Legend, May 1, 2012.

1. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Jeff has been doing some great writing for the Houston Press recently.

Bravo Jeff!!

:)

2. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I pray for Jeff for having to listen to any of that tripe just so he could write an article. :(

3. conquistador#11

i referred to the big show as the Philadelphia Eagles. The potential to rule with an iron fist, but they lose focus and just coast.
    What does it say when I'd rather listen to Boston, Pittsburgh, and Dallas local sports talk shows. They love their local teams and don't get sidetracked by what national hosts are talking about.

4. codell

codell Contributing Member

Holy cow. Innes (and his father) couldn't have come across more poorly in that segment. That was embarrassing and awkward to listen to.

5. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

The big show #1? I'd listen to it more if Adam Wexler wasn't such a pretentious sounding guy. I just turn it when he talks for long lengths of time.

6. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

LMAO! That radio bit with Caliendo was freakin hilarious :grin: Josh was so irrate LOL.

7. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

8. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

It never ceases to amaze me how dumb your opinions are. CP knows a ****load about football. Matt Thomas has a good voice but his callers are so stupid it ruins the show when he has to turn ahole on them.

9. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

This is what happens when a wanna-be comedian tries to mix it up with a professional comedian. Not a fan of Caliendo, but the guy does do this for a living. Who does Josh think he is? Leave the comedy to the professionals, not your weird dad.

Anyway, I agree that Lord gets a lot of unwarranted hate around here. When he was paired with Pallilo back in the day, that was a great show. His Rockets postgame show was good too.

I think the only reason Lord gets so much criticism nowadays is because he's paired up with that boob Innes and he tries too hard to do the "guy talk" shtick and bombs (like Innes). Put him with a competent host and he'll be alright.

Also, I have a buddy who works at 610 and he says everyone there hates Barry Warner. He does no show-prep at all and treats everyone there like garbage.

10. smokieethabear

Put em UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!

11. Kate81

Kate81 Member

I don't listen to any of these cakes.

Too smart for these amateurs.

12. Kate81

Kate81 Member

All three of them are garbage. Dukes especially.

13. gwayneco

gwayneco Contributing Member

Pallilo is the best, but when the local teams suck, as they do now outside of the Texans, he's hard to take. Pallilo is pretty much the only one who seems interested in sports other than football.

Let's face it - "sports talk" is essentially a dead genre. It's basically all football, all the time with occasional sophomoric references to the latest tarts du jour offered by our pop culture - "ooh, Kate Upton, I'd hit that! Now let's spend the next hour breaking down the Texans fifth round draft pick in excruciating detail". Boring.

14. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

QFT. I am guessing 99% of these guys wouldn't be able to recognize Whitney Mercilus if he walked down the street or have seen more than highlights.

At least the espn station (national guys) talk about the playoffs.

15. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

sounds fake

16. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

The only person lower on the food chain than a talk radio host is a talk radio caller. Nothing worse than hearing some boring imbecile on the radio pretending to care about something when in reality he just wants to hear himself talk.

Wait, I just described the entire talk radio genre (minus Phil Hendrie).

17. wallyj12

wallyj12 Member

It was real. I remember hearing that live and you could hear the anger in both of their voices being legitimate. Josh was talking s*** about Rich on his Facebook for about a week after that because Rich laughed and basically sided with Caliendo on that one.

18. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

I like Russ Small, Charlie Palillo, and Rich Lord in the afternoon just before the Rockets' games on 740, and Tom Franklin doing some reporting while also calling the Oilers' games. :eek: Add David Dalati doing some reporting, too. Also Football sections with Joel Bushbaum were really good.

Wait a minute, what decade are we?!?!? :confused:

19. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

If you could muster past the nasally voice, JB was really good.

20. gwayneco

gwayneco Contributing Member

LOL. I started listening to sports talk when I was about 10. I remember Breen and Trupiano as well as Martini and Edmonds.

Btw, Bushbaum really did run circles around the other draftniks. I have come to absolutely despise the incessant NFL draft hype, but I still miss hearing Bushbaum.