1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Houston Press] Ranking Houston's Sports Radio Personalities

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by HR Dept, Jun 12, 2012.

1. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Link-A-Dink

2. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Rich Lord #4, so this list should automatically be dismissed

Matt Thomas is #1 for me, by a long shot. I think Charlie P is horribly, horribly overrated

3. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Seems like Jeff's list has been posted before, but I see that the dateline for it is today, so I guess not.

What do you guys think of Nick Wright so far? I am pleasantly surprised by him. He actually talks about SPORTS (not just the Texans) and seems pretty knowledgeable considering he's so new to Houston.

From everything I read about him before he got here, I was expecting Josh Innes part II (wannabe frat boy shtick), but thank GOD he's nothing like that.

4. da1

da1 Member

Charlie P is the best by far. Too smart for the average joe though.

5. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

Charlie needs a co-host. Too much dead air for me. Still like him and find his knowledge and lack of bias incredibly refreshing, but the show can pace along too slowly at times.

6. ontherox21

ontherox21 Member

Only listened to bits and pieces of his show in the morning. Tried listening to day until they started talking about 'If Arian Foster was gay'...switched it back to The Big Show as fast as I could

7. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

The list is very good.

Ranking Barry Warner, Josh Innes, John Lopez and Dylan Gwinn as the bottom 4 is a grand slam home run. AM610 rules the bottom. IMO, putting Shaun Bijani at 5th worst is questionable because I think being paired with Warner might be 99% of his problem. I'll cut him some slack until he has a different co-host. Warner is so bad it's like Bijani isn't even on the show.

No surprise CP, Lance Z and Wexler are the cream of the crop. I would also rank Mattj in the top 5. Rich Lord doesn't deserve to be in the top 5, but he doesn't bother me that much. I don't really understand why people here "hate" on him.

I'm excited about the In the Trenches hour with Cook and Kalu. During the football season, that show could be dynamite. For the most part, I can't take much radio talk from ex-NFLers, but both of them are very sharp, articulate and listenable.

So far, so good for the new guy on AM610 from Kansas City. But he isn't comfortable in Houston yet and his real tendencies probably haven't come out.

Specifically on CP, years ago he used to be so abrasive and argumentative, it made me cringe. If only he would realize it isn't all about debating and disagreeing (I thought to myself). Perhaps someone spoke to him about it because he's mellowed quite nicely. Seems like the change happened suddenly.

8. Hammer755

Hammer755 Contributing Member

Agreed on all of this. These lists usually try to get too cute or stir up controversy.

9. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Dream show for me would be Lance and Matt Thomas together. Maybe, mayyybeeee add Kalu and make it a trio. I could see that working really well. I've heard Lance and Matt Thomas together before and it worked well. They made fun of Gwinn.

10. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I like Bijani but like mentioned before, maybe he has to pull too much dead weight with Barry.

For whatever reason Matt J seems to have fallen off. Maybe it's just the format and he's stuck with playing the troll role...but his arguments just aren't good for the most part and seem to be trying too hard.

Josh Innes still sucks. He's made 610 in the afternoon completely unbearable.

haven't heard the new morning 610 guy.

11. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Charlie is the undisputed champ; but he is so bored in Houston it's getting hard to listen to. The Astros are 3 months of suck, nobody cares about hockey, tennis or soccer. He needs to move to Boston or New York for his own mental health.

12. Sajan

Sajan Member

13. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Rich Lord & Charlie Pallilo was a pretty good show - one of the best., but I just never found Lord to be that great a radio guy by himself. That's the only ranking I question. The rest of the ones on that list (that I've listened to) are probably ranked reasonably. I agree that Pallilo is awesome. I can't remember if I had listened to Zierlein before he came to 790, but he's definitely worthy of being ranked that high.

14. kidcave9

kidcave9 Contributing Member

790 ftw. I hope they get rockets rights

15. pradaxpimp

pradaxpimp Contributing Member

I love the big show and I think Lance is freakin hilarious.

However, Matt Jackson is so often off base with his takes.

16. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Charlie is definitely the best, I wish we could get him and rich back together though.

17. Voice of Reason

Its a pretty good list. I know there are some that don't like Rich Lord, but he is good. There was an executive producer of 610 who used to post here, under the name of Chance. He mentioned that it didn't matter where you put Lord, he always won his time slot.

I'm glad to see Adam Wexler so high on the list. He is very underrated.

It seems like the guys on the bottom of the list have big ego's and like to deliberately be controversial.

18. alexcapone

alexcapone Contributing Member

I like David Nuno..thought he should have made the list.

19. moonnumack

moonnumack Contributing Member

#1 & #2 are head and shoulders above the rest (although I might flip them). Charlie P has the most knowledgable and level-headed takes while Lance has the best combination of passion and humor. SEC guy is hilarious, and I love when he gets ready to vomit blood talking about Albert Pujols. Lance's ability to break down football sets him apart from his co-hosts, but Charlie is more well-rounded with other sports, including hockey and soccer.
    I think I'm one of the few people who doesn't like Wexler. I grant that he is knowledgable, but the way he talks and qualifies every statement he makes just annoys me. Seriously, if if we could get hsf09 to transcribe his audio, you would see how he speaks with the world's longest run-on sentences. Plus, he just goes overboard with the sarcasm, often confusing guests on the show.
    Matt J, Dukes, and Matt T round out the top 5 for me.
    Sean is actually pretty good, but he talks about everything in gambling terms, which gets old.
    This new guy in the morning on 610 actually sounds promising but listening to him means I have to also listen to creepy John Lopez. I would never let that guy near my teenage daughter.
    Finally, if it hasn't been stated already, someone needs to shoot Josh Innes. He's just terrible. I've never heard so many listeners call in to a show to say how much they don't like a host.
    It's pretty cool to have 4 sports radio stations, but we could definitely benefit from some contraction to cut the dead weight.

20. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

Julie Takahashi does a great job with Dukes in the afternoon.