1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston Oilers: Now is the Time to Rebrand

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by El_Conquistador, Mar 8, 2021.

1. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Lol, all those ppl are gone from the team...

2. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

All of those folks here waxing "nostalgic" about the Oilers have no F'ing clue about what an absolute jerkoff Bud Adams was and how he ran that franchise out of his ass. And when he was done with the city of Houston, that piece of **** wiped his miserable ass and threw the TP in our collective faces. I know - I saw it first hand as I grew up with the Oilers. Adams managed to kill my love for Houston professional football and he didn't just kill it he raised his hind leg and pissed in our collective faces. There is NO way in hell you can separate the Oilers from Bud Adams so it's futile to even try. Everytime I see the old Columbia Blue I see this:

upload_2021-3-9_10-1-29.png

Nobody appears to want to remember the decades of pathetic football that the Oilers symbolized - no everyone focuses only on the Luv Ya Blue years when they were the Houston Earlers and that night in the Astrodome after the first loss to Pittsburgh in the AFC title game and Bum vowing to kick "the damn door in" and all of that "wonderful" nostalgia. Well, it's done. It's dead and buried in the past where it belongs. Thanks to Cal and Jack, professional football in Houston is once again a joke. I see no reason to further curse it with the putrid stench of Bud Adams and the Oilers.

Sooty and primtim24 like this.
  3. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

So are we all of the mindset that we hate Bud Adams more than Cal McNair?

4. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

This. They were a terrible joke of a franchise for way many more years than they were relevant and Bud Adams was a s***stain of an owner.

5. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Yeah, I really don't get the nostalgia for the Oilers. And I'm as nostalgic as they come.

Luv Ya Blue was a great time to be alive in Houston....but that was over 40 years ago. Besides that era, which eras are we wanting to be reminded of? The 6 consecutive losing seasons after Bum was fired? The Warren Moon era when we were 3-7 in the playoffs including the biggest collapse in NFL history? Or the Jeff Fisher era when we had 4 consecutive 8-8 seasons and then moved to Tennessee? What great memories....

It can be argued that the (post Luv Ya Blue) Oilers were a bigger joke than the Texans. Has the Texans GM ever mooned a wedding party? Has McNair ever fined a player for missing a game for the birth of his kid?

Don't get me wrong, I'm hating the Texans right now just like everyone else. But this is not the answer. LOL...

TheFreak, msn and primtim24 like this.
  6. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

In retrospect it's a testament to how great the Oilers' name, aesthetic, and branding was considering just how awful of a football team and organization they were.

I'd switch in a heartbeat. Keep the baby, throw out the bath water.

Nook and Two Sandwiches like this.
  7. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

For me the Houston Oilers were the run and shoot late 80s/early 90s teams. Moon, Munchak, Matthews, Dishman, Jones, Fuller etc.. They were one of the first to take a shot with a black QB. Very successful when I watched as a kid if you can stomach the brutal letdowns in big games, but they always seemed to compete. I didnt have a first hand account for the drought from 81-86, let alone the AFL days.

They traded Moon after 3 straight pro bowls (just like the Texans are bout to do) and I was okay rebuilding with McNair and George until Bud Adams didnt get the stadium built he wanted. Politics abound - yes I understand he had received public money to revamp the Astrodome, but that facility was falling apart. I disliked Adams, but I still kept up with that team until 2002.

I appreciate your sentiment and anecdotal offerings, To each his own I'll apply my money and fanaticism where I feel its deserved.

So should we cheer on the Cowboys?

8. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

As Madea would "Hell to the Naw!". One of the things that grate on me to this day is how I had to grow up watching just how Bud did more than anyone else to make sure that when you thought about the NFL and Texas it was Dallas and the Cowboys that come to mind. The NFL in Houston is nothing but an afterthought - like Detroit, the Chargers in LA or Cincinnati. You can see the end result of his handiwork to this day where, outside of the Austin (sometimes), Houston, Beaumont & Port Arthur areas, you can't get Texans' games unless they happen to be on a national broadcast. And that's even when their games don't conflict with Cowboys games. And, that's even though the Cows haven't done spit for 25 years and Jerry Jones is the same arrogant, clueless jerkoff he's been since buying the team. All he does is laugh his ass off on his way to the bank because he has this state locked up.

Verbal Christ likes this.
  9. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I don’t think anybody is claiming the Oilers or Texans would ever own the state, especially not against the most popular football team in the entire nation (not just Texas).

But they are both important to Houston.... and at one point, both of those teams owned Houston sports fandom (Oilers in the late 70’s, Texans in 2011-12). Its safe to say a mildly successful NFL team in Houston runs circles around any other version of a Houston sports team, unless said team is winning championships.

10. El_Conquistador

Supporting Member

If you are Cal McNair - you need to change the subject. Fast. This would accomplish it, and generate substantial buzz and merchandise sales at the same time. Start a rebuild by rebuilding the image/logo/uniforms of the team.

Reunite with Houston's past and pay tribute to the rich heritage of the oil industry in Houston. The Steelers have done this quite successfully in Pittsburgh. The Packers in Green Bay. The Brewers in Milwaukee. There is value in linking the historical industry of a city to the team name. It creates an identity. And for many people that live in Houston today, oil is their business (or they support the oil & gas industry by providing goods/services to it). That has tremendous value... whereas the Texans name really doesn't carry that same value.

The Columbia Blue color also has tremendous value and is a completely unique look in the NFL.

The logic is sound. Make it happen.

[​IMG]

11. dmoneybangbang

Too young for the Oilers.... but it does seem messed up we lost the cool looking uniforms and can't hang the good history from the rafters.

12. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

What don’t you understand? Bud’s daughter said no. Bud Adams dying wish was to keep the Oilers name retired and away from Houston forever.

Duke Fan likes this.
  13. El_Conquistador

Supporting Member

Everything has a price, my guy. If Cal needs a world class industrialist to negotiate the deal, my services are available. I'll take it on pro bono.

14. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

The Rockets could learn a lot from the Astros or even the Hawks and Pistons.

kdchilds likes this.
  15. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

I’m afraid it may have gone from bad to worse

16. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

It not worth paying Millions for. Not worth giving up draft picks (that is what the Titans would want).

17. msn

msn Member

I used to be against this, but Cal McNair's Texans and the nostalgia of the sick joke that the Oilers were are actually perfect for reach other. It's like the Oilers reincarnated as the Texans; might as well have the name.

18. homewight

homewight Contributing Member

NO! Don't give Cal and Easterby a chance to ruin the Oilers too.

19. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Instead of addressing y we are such a sht incompetent franchise, the solution is to avoid it by rebranding? Like how does that change anything? Coloring a piece of sht a different color doesn't really remove the stench

msn, HillBoy, primtim24 and 1 other person like this.
  20. homewight

homewight Contributing Member

The world is a better place with him dead.