1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston Oilers: Now is the Time to Rebrand

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by El_Conquistador, Mar 8, 2021.

1. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Apple doesn't fall far from the tree. She is a vindictive b****, just like Daddy.

2. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

On a good day...

3. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

Not about her physical appearance. The Adams' family OWNS all rights to the Oilers, their history, records and intellectual property. When Bud left Houston for Tenn, he was allowed to take the team and everything associated with the Oilers with him. This was far different than when Art Modell tried to move the Browns to Baltimore. The city of Cleveland and Browns season ticket holders sued both Modell and the NFL which led the NFL to secure a compromise where Modell was granted a new franchise in Baltimore while the Browns franchise, it's history, records and intellectual property was to remain in Cleveland. In return, the city agreed to build a new NFL quality stadium to replace the aging Cleveland Stadium which they did in beginning in 1996.

Now this is important to note because the primary reason Bud left was the refusal of the city and county to fund a new stadium for the Oilers - especially after they had made numerous changes to the Astrodome to accommodate the Oilers and were still paying for those modifications when Bud made his final demands for a new stadium. There was no effort made to force him to relinquish the rights to the Oilers and so it is a done deal.

kdchilds likes this.
  4. nacho bidness

nacho bidness Member

So who has to be bought off after this lady dies? I want the baby blues back.

5. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Yes, they own the rights to the "Oilers"

They do not own the rights to a color. There are only very specific and rare circumstances where your can own the right to a color.

No, the Texans cannot change their name to the "Oilers" and use their exact color scheme, logo, font, etc. I don't think anyone has realistically suggested that.

But no one is forbidden from using light blue as a part of their color scheme. That notion is ridiculous. If the Texans wanted to add light blue to their color palette (among their other colors), they absolutely could do that.

conquistador#11 and macho GRANDE like this.
  6. macho GRANDE

macho GRANDE Elvis, was a hero to most but................

Exactly....In the words of Flavor Flav *almost*, "You can't copyright no color man!"

7. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Copyright and Patent infringement take the obvious and lawyers turn it into something nebulous and fuzzy. Like politicians do BRIBERY and SAFETY.

I think they try to avoid the issue by not calling the blue "Columbia" Blue.

8. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

I don't know - everything I've seen so far looks awfully Oileresque to me. And they own the rights to everything Oilers including the unis, derrick emblem and the Columbia Blue color scheme. While I see your point about the color I can also see the Titans taking them to court over copyright infringement thereby forcing the NFL and Goodell to wade into this mess. And just WHO do you think the league will side with?

9. Dredd

Dredd Member

10. Qan

Qan Member

I found it funny during the interview when Hannah and Cal was on 790, and she made a joke that apparently Amy/Titans "own every shade of blue now" when they talked about how UH jersey couldn't be sold.

kdchilds and MadMax like this.
  11. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

The Adams family sucks.

12. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

*snap snap*

Red.Glare, TheJet, Deckard and 2 others like this.
  13. J.R.

J.R. Member

Oilers are all the rage!

Cougars did it better (best?).

[​IMG]

#453 J.R., Sep 28, 2023
    Last edited: Sep 28, 2023
    kdchilds likes this.
  14. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

15. conquistador#11

Let's keep trolling Amy Adams, not the hottie.
    Longhorns ball is on your court.

kdchilds likes this.
  16. Qan

Qan Member

I liked the UH version better, but this isn't bad either. A lighter baby blue color. We need more of this just to say f-u to Amy Adams.

kdchilds and cmoak1982 like this.
  17. Colt45

Colt45 Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, the Hooters blew it with the sleeve stripe.

18. evilhomer

evilhomer Member

Screw it, let all the Houston teams troll Amy Adams and the inbred nation and use those colors...Houston Hotshots are up next, followed by the Texas Terror...

kdchilds likes this.
  19. evilhomer

evilhomer Member

Screw it, let all the Houston teams troll Amy Adams and the inbred nation and use those colors...Houston Hotshots are up next, followed by the Texas Terror...

kdchilds likes this.
  20. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member