1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston Oilers: Now is the Time to Rebrand

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by El_Conquistador, Mar 8, 2021.

1. Nick

Nick Member

Thanks for re-defining hypothetical…

2. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

We should change our name to Boilers.

Madano, ROCKSS and DonnyMost like this.
  3. DonnyMost

DonnyMost Membar
    Supporting Member

Broilers.

[​IMG]

MadMax and Astrodome like this.
  4. MadMax

MadMax Member

Yeah, I don't get that all. Admittedly, I don't speak to Titans fans much, but I still don't get the idea that you'd lean into the history of a franchise that played in another city where they didn't win anything of note. It's not like the Lakers talking about championships in Minneapolis...or the charm of the Dodgers in Brooklyn that can appeal to fans in LA.

The only example we have of that here is the Rockets, and I still can't believe we did that last year with those stupid green/yellow jerseys and a logo that had another city's name on it. Good lord, that's bad. Of course, this is the same franchise that completely changed their color scheme and logo immediately after winning back to back titles.

I absolutely understand the appeal of the Oilers name and colors here...it's mixed in with the same reason I was pleased as punch that the Astros were wearing orange when they finally won a WS. It's nostalgia...it's a connection to something that you've rooted for for a very long time. That's all branding is for the most part in sports.

macho GRANDE, Nick and ROCKSS like this.
  5. MadMax

MadMax Member

Ok, now I'm angry :)

6. DonnyMost

DonnyMost Membar
    Supporting Member

After the whole Vince Young debacle ended I've kinda been whatever about the Titans.

Then tonight this happened and now there's an army of hillbillie sister-kissers celebrating and defending this stolen valor and so I'm ready to go all AJ80 on 'em all over again.

[​IMG]

7. MadMax

MadMax Member

You had me at hello

8. Buck Turgidson

I'll never forget that, and now I need to watch the whole play again, but what was the "Vince Young Debacle"?

9. DonnyMost

DonnyMost Membar
    Supporting Member

You don't remember how every Texans Fandom was absolutely flooded to the gills with the most obnoxious people God ever created (VY fans who became fly-by-night Titans fans) for like 3-4 years?

Champs and Buck Turgidson like this.
  10. Buck Turgidson

Oh I member, about to get busy, have thoughts for later

11. SuraGotMadHops

They are going in and taking Houston history itself now with the Love ya Blue rather than just franchise history, if that makes sense. I didn't care before but I care now. And watch, they will wear that when we play them, it's disrespectful.

macho GRANDE likes this.
  12. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Notable Member
    Supporting Member

Texan Knights... now is the time.

13. macho GRANDE

macho GRANDE Elvis, was a hero to most but................

14. macho GRANDE

macho GRANDE Elvis, was a hero to most but................

Using "Luv Ya Blue" is a step too far. Its indeed tasteless and disrespectful. That was an era in Houston, not a uniform.

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

To me, the whole thing is just weird.

None of the fans, players, or coaches that made the Oilers a thing would ever claim Tennessee... especially not the "Luv Ya Blue" era Oilers.

So this really is nothing but a middle finger to Houston.

Champs, macho GRANDE and red5rocket like this.
  16. HillBoy

HillBoy Member

Well I suppose we could consider the ramifications of the Multiverse in which case there would exist an alternate reality where you'd have the Titans in Nashville and the Oilers (still) in Houston.

17. HillBoy

HillBoy Member

Again: The Luv Ya Blue era that everyone here is so enamored about was for only two years - 1978/1979. By my count that was 45 years ago. It's well past time to move on. I simply couldn't give a rat's ass if they wear OIler colors or not because the Oilers were and always will be a clown show because of Bud Adams. As I posted earlier, Houston could have done the same thing that Cleveland did in keeping the Browns but by the time Bud threatened to move if he didn't get a new stadium, EVERYBODY in Houston was totally fed up with his bullsh*t and couldn't wait for him to leave.

Bobbythegreat likes this.
  18. Nick

Nick Member

Relax. We get your stance on this. Literally every post you make here focuses on this… I think you have unresolved issues, honestly.

That era was the first time Houston was on the national sports stage. It was also the first time any professional team had real legit success here. It also happened to be in a sport (football) that is universally beloved here.

In the grand scheme of things, no it wasn’t some decade-long run of dominance that dwarfs over everything ever in Houston history… but it was the perfect team, at the perfect time, in a city that was in the midst of transforming itself from minor energy/port city to multi-cultural immigration/energy/port powerhouse… and the city absolutely fell in love with it moreso than any other sports team has ever had a true connection with this city (or any city, arguably).

The fact that it is still being celebrated by another city, with another fan base, and is still as popular a topic as anything here… more than 40+ years later.. says a lot.

DonnyMost and macho GRANDE like this.
  19. evilhomer

evilhomer Member

It’s like if the thunder would trot out their great legends, Gary Payton…Shawn Kemp…and Detlef Schrempf…

macho GRANDE and Nick like this.