1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston Oilers: Now is the Time to Rebrand

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by El_Conquistador, Mar 8, 2021.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

2. TexasRedd

TexasRedd Member

“Urban”

Lol not hard to read between the lines on that one.

cbass likes this.
  3. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Raises an interesting question… would you take the Oilers name back knowing you couldn’t claim any of the history?

Sort of how the Ravens can’t claim any of the Browns history.

Caesar and kdchilds like this.
  4. kdchilds

kdchilds Member

It's better than that dumbass Clay Walker song we had to put up with for 20 plus years!

5. kdchilds

kdchilds Member

Hell yeah!

Caesar, red5rocket and cmoak1982 like this.
  6. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

H-Town and Old English lettering has an urban connotation and honestly a little cheesy. Nothing wrong with it at all for one offs and nicknames. But to have it represent your city and franchise? It seems low class and unprofessional.
    Have it for special jersey and apparel not your main.

7. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

I fear this is going to be the new color scheme, along with the H-Town, which will always be cringe.

Rudyc281 and cmoak1982 like this.
  8. Joshfast

Joshfast "We're all gonna die" - Billy Sole
    Supporting Member

Like the colors, like H-Town. At least better than ultra cringe “Texans” and our current color schemes. Just bland, plain, missionary-position whitebread.

kdchilds and macho GRANDE like this.
  9. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Change the name. Texans isn’t the one.

10. BballFacts

BballFacts Member

I understand snake talk when I hear it. Hopefully they do go with H Town to make you need theraflu

11. BballFacts

BballFacts Member

The grey area racist remarks about 'H Town' and all the racist remarks over the years proves what I've said, that yall don't deserve Demeco Ryans. yall are fortunate a strong real Jew is coming to save yall ingrates

12. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Is this schtick?

cmoak1982 likes this.
  13. thedude077

thedude077 Member

I never liked the name, Texans. But I do love the uniforms. They can keep the uniforms just change the name back to Oilers.

14. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Hopefully this is a joke. Otherwise stfu clown.

Htown is a nickname, not a team or city name. Only young ass little kids think it’s cool

And Old English lettering hasn’t been relevant in 30 years. Like a 90s album cover

macho GRANDE and Blatz like this.
  15. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I think that entire ensemble would be an overwhelmingly popular and successful rebrand

The "H" in particular is an unusually smart idea from the organization

kdchilds likes this.
  16. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Colors I have no issue with.
    Having an H for a hat is cool too. But not Old English lettering. It’s dumb

macho GRANDE likes this.
  17. Caesar

Caesar Member

The H is an old english H from the same H-Town wordmark, but it looks really good on its own. I agree that H-Town in old english looks like it's trying too hard to be urban to change their image, but the end result is urban cowboys, at least to me. City folk. It worked for the Clippers to differentiate from the Hollywood Lakers. The market was there to go for the urban/minority representation of the city. One could argue Dallas is the Hollywood in this case and we're trying to connect with all non Hollywood people in Texas, but it feels weird with a team named Texans which you would think represents blue collar and tough and rugged like the Oilers did. The Oilers name and brand was perfect in representing the city at it's heart. Anything else feels like it's trying too hard to recapture that image and failing. They really should have gone with a space themed name to match the other teams. They nailed the logo, but damn they blew it on the team name. We're the Clippers of Texas.

Off topic... but does anyone have any clue how Old English became associated with gangs and gang culture in the first place? It's just so random and weird. What does old original english script have to do with minorities and gangs in America? It's strange how that was adopted for gang usage. From a search, it originated in Germanic runes? I guess Cali gangs just thought it looked cool when they were playing around on an Apple MacIntosh they stole.

18. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

They were never the Oilers. Oilers name is not being given up by the Titans.

HillBoy likes this.
  19. Caesar

Caesar Member

She's 67, i wonder if she will go to her grave telling the next in line to never give it up either. It's basically just hatred at this point. It's really selfish and ugly. We're the ones they abandoned, but they want us to feel like it's our fault they had to abandon us. Classic toxic relationship ending. They literally abandoned the Oilers too. Barely associate with it or use throwbacks. What's the point of holding on so tightly to something you don't want? Spite.

I'm not even sure Cal would want to change his Dads franchise name anyway.

kdchilds likes this.
  20. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Um, Bud put it in his Will. You don't think her children won't honor her wishes?