1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

HOUSTON Oilers fans... how soon did you disown them after the relocation?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Grinds, Sep 12, 2013.

?

HOUSTON Oilers fans... how soon did you disown tem after they relocated?

1. Immediately

123 vote(s)
    60.3%
  2. A few years

33 vote(s)
    16.2%
  3. Texans inception

42 vote(s)
    20.6%
  4. Never... still cheer for them

6 vote(s)
    2.9%
  1. Grinds

Grinds Member

This poll is for people who cheered for the Oilers while they were in Houston.

2. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

When the Team moved they became the Titans(edit: after a couple of years), and there was no reason to support them. People still associate the Oilers with the city of Houston, and they always will. I'm still a fan of the Oilers, but I've never been a fan of that team in Tennessee.

#2 Rip Van Rocket, Sep 12, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2013
  3. Raven

Raven Member

The split second it was announced.

And fat old Bud Adams can rot in Hell for taking the Oiler's name with him and using it in TN just to stick it to us.

4. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Well, they were still the Tennessee OILERS for a few seasons.

It was really disowning Bud Adams more than disowning the team. Why am I going to support a team owned by the man who took pro football away from Houston. Screw that guy. And if it means not supporting the franchise anymore, so be it.

It was only a matter of time before the players who had a connection to the city were gone. Better to just cut the cord and be done with it.

5. Richie_Rich

Richie_Rich Member
    Supporting Member

Hate, hate, hate Bud Adams for stealing my team and destroying my childhood.

But I have to admit, I quietly followed Steve McNair, Eddie George and the boys for 2 seasons in Tennessee. Making the distinction was tough for me to do as a 13 year old -- too young and naive to hold real grudges back then.

Today I wish I would have never supported anything remotely associated with Bud Adams.

6. Grinds

Grinds Member

Funny thing is they kept the name for 2 seasons. In the end, it's not so bad everything happened like it did. It added a special rivalry for Houston sports. Texans better ball harder though or it will add more embarrassment to the city.

7. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

You know I completely forgot about that. As soon as they left Houston that team was dead to me and I didn't follow them at all. I do wish we could have kept the Oilers name.

8. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Immediately. The day they left, I cried. The day after they left, I set my favorite Oilers t-shirt on fire, and from that day forward, that franchise was dead to me.

9. moonnumack

moonnumack Contributing Member

I followed the team and rooted for the ex-Oilers (McNair, George, etc.), but I was totally bitter and hated them when they left us. I probably totally disowned them when they they changed the name to the Titans and was openly rooting against them in their Super Bowl.
    I am totally fine with being the bitter ex in this case, and I'm glad to have rebounded with a team and owner who we can be proud of.
    I do wish we could have the old name back because "Texans" still sounds hokey to me but I'm used to it now.

10. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

After VY left.

11. meh

meh Contributing Member

Almost immediately. I basically became a bandwagon Broncos for reasons that I can't remember. Probably because they were on TV a lot due Elway and the team being really good. Stopped rooting for other NFL teams the moment we got a new team.

12. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

You know, Bud didn't just have "Oilers" trademarked, but "Houston Oilers" as well.

Cleveland owned the name "Browns" and Modell was decent enough to let them keep the rest of their history too. Not Bud. I wonder if it burns his ass that so many ex-Oilers associate themselves with the Texans instead of the Titans.

13. msn

msn Member

This. **** the titans.

14. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

I don't remember when it happened at all. But I grew up hating the titans for it! My dad has a pretty historical hatred towards them, he was a MAJOR oiler fan, more than the average fan!

I don't know how I would've acted though. Trying to imagine the Texans leaving... Not sure if I would still support them or not.

15. babyface44

babyface44 Member

As soon as Houston got a new team.

16. Granville

Granville Member

Immediately, **** Bud Adams and the coon skin toupe on his head.

17. blathersby

blathersby Contributing Member

Dad's from Philly. I went 100% Eagles in like 2 seconds.

18. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

I still liked McNair and Eddie George so I followed them a few seasons after and cheered them on in the Super Bowl. Stopped following once we got the Texans though.

19. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Hated them immediately for leaving. Rooting for them never crossed my mind.

I was an Oiler fan because they represented Houston...when they didn't anymore, eff 'em. I wasn't going to root for a cheating girlfriend to win the lottery. The thought of that franchise winning a Super Bowl and hosting a parade in Nashville made me want to vomit, considering all the crap we'd been through with them here in Houston.

1 person likes this.
  20. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

We've been through this a thousand times, but I will never understand people who still root for the titans. I will never understand people who rooted for the titans.....well, ever.

It's like having your wife cheat on you with a jazz fan, take your kids away from you, then rooting for her to win the lottery (like max says). Were you born without testicles or did you lose them somewhere along the way?

People who live in or have ties to nashville who root for them are understandable. Pathetic and sad, but understandable. But people from Houston with no ties whatsoever to the state of tenneesse? I just don't get it.