1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston offered "several" Nets picks to Brooklyn for Mikal Bridges

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HealthyHamstring, Jan 31, 2024.

1. sirjesse

sirjesse The Udoker has spoken!
    Supporting Member

2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

His age is absolutely a factor.
    It means he's done developing.
    That means when someone like Sengun hits his prime, Bridges will be past it. The core guys are all 21 or younger.

3. YOLO

YOLO Member

no it definitely isn't. There's guys on this team older than he is and make more money

If it's such "a absolutely a factor", why tf are they on this team then? but Bridges apparently doesn't qualify

The age logic is just silly

4. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I think Green for Bridges is a fair trade. Bridges is a 20+ scorer on good efficiency. If Green turns out to be that, you've got to be satisfied, while there is still a chance that he can be better than Bridges eventually.

Green's expectation has dropped after disappointing 2nd and 3rd seasons. The potential of breaking out is still there. But the higher the ceiling is set, the less likely he will reach it. Simply put, Green has a much lower floor but a somewhat higher ceiling than Bridges. Because of the low floor risk, you will probably have to attach a FRP for the Nets to even consider.

For the Rockets, as I posted earlier, Bridges' problem is that he is not a ball-handling creator, which is our real need and our hope that Green can be that guy.

5. fchowd0311

If you want to get Mikal Bridges without trading any of our young assets go for it. It probably won't work. We brought in vets to mentor and create stability. We didn't trade FVV for Green for example. Because the goal is to develop those guys. So ya it would be incredibly stupid to trade one of the young assets for Bridges. If you want to dump all the Nets picks and return it to them then ya, Go for it. The Rockets are done aquiring young talent through the draft. That phase is over so throw draft picks sure.... but none of the young guys.

6. OremLK

OremLK Member

He might be! Still has a good chance, as he's shown the past 5 games. A hypothetical trade of, say, Green for White 1-for-1 would be the Bulls betting on his future potential and us betting against it, I guess. White is the better player right now, but Green, in theory, has more upside.

Such a deal is unlikely to happen because the front office has every reason to be biased toward Green and none to be biased against him--unless there's something else going on we don't know about, like Ime is fed up and wants Jalen off the team, which is not the impression I get at the moment.

7. YOLO

YOLO Member

It depends on what the package looks like but trying to highlight his age as some deciding factor is just silly. 27 years old is no where close to an age you nix the possibility of acquiring someone. Bridges fits for all the same reasons FVV was welcomed here and hes younger and makes less.

8. OremLK

OremLK Member

FVV and Dillon only cost us cap space that we are required by the league to spend anyway. From an asset management perspective, they effectively cost us nothing, especially Fred who will be off the books before we ever contend for a title.

That's totally different from sending out valuable picks and/or young players. There's a future opportunity cost to sending them out for a roleplayer already in his prime: It could cost you the chance to acquire a guy with similar or better talent in a few years who won't be in his thirties when we're contending for a title.

Plowman likes this.
  9. YOLO

YOLO Member

In Mikal's case that doesn't really matter, he only has 2 years left on his deal. That isn't stopping the rockets from paying all the young guys when its time to get paid assuming they earn it.

The reality is the Rockets in the best case scenario aren't going to be keeping and paying top dollar for all of these young guys they have now.

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

11. fchowd0311

12. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

As much as yours

If we try to be objective, what draft pick is Jalen worth on the market, IMO a mid to late first. He’s got a 1.5 left on his deal and has shown no steady ability to do anything at starting quality level.

He has shown stretches of flashes every year, and still has to the appeal of potential.

Nets first, likely to land in the 8-15 range, people keep yapping about it being a historically weak draft.

Bridges is a 2-way 3&D wing on a below market value contract for 2.5 more years. His career has been characterized by his efficiency, elite defense, high IQ, having a winning player mold, and durability.

I think Bridges is worth a decent bit more then a mid-late lotto + a mid first. Probably an additional first and swap. Capable 3&D wings are just a huge commodity in todays league.

13. MystikArkitect

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Fan boys are not going to be realistic, Green can be traded, and Stone should look at what he can get back for him. Some fans are just unrealistic about their favorites, same as I was about KPJ...it happens.

Bridges is an elite 3 and D player a great complimentary player a number 2 or 3 option.

Green is developing into that - maybe.

DD

15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I think I get what Mikal is worth, good post, I just do not think he moves the needle enough to be considered a serious contender.

Funnily he should get back on the Suns or go to an LA team, any of the Top 4-5 teams....

He is really good but his value would be so much more on a real contender.

If Houston landed Wemby, I would definitely go for Bridges instead of Dillon Brooks. It does not really make as much sense now.

16. xaos

xaos Member

I understand the argument and just to clarify "
    There's about a 70% chance a top 4 pick does nothing close to Bridges" makes it seem like the other players like Jaren Jackson would be a huge missed gamble. Maybe someone argues JJJ and Brandon Ingram are equal to or better than Mikal which shoots the 70% to 60% (I know, wow now its a 10% chance vs 90% using the top 4 pick argument -- doesnt change anyone's stance). If we have a 10% chance at Luka, Brown, Tatum, Ja, Lamelo, Edwards via the draft how does that compare to the chances of us landing someone like that in free agency or trades? Because the goal would be to obtain a top 20 player -- which any angle you spin it has low odds. If we want to win a ring we'll need either a top 5 player or multiple top 20 players. Does Mikal bring us closer or further to that? Of course he's an improvement to the team NOW and is closer to a top 20 player right now than anyone else on our roster outside of Sengun. Does keeping Green and the picks bring us closer to that? Which move starts the chain of events that helps us get that top player? Maybe it is Mikal or maybe the fact that we have Sengun/Mikal we could gamble on that top player via an additional trade and build around them. Generally speaking top players get traded for picks and young players.

If the Rockets traded for Mikal using the 2024 pick I wouldn't be mad at all by the way and I follow the logic. I would understand if we traded Green and the 2024 top 3 protected pick as well, even though I'd lean against it. I definitely wouldnt want to give up multiple picks and I don't think Nets would entertain Green and 1 pick anyways. We also have Smith who will be equal to or better than Bridges (imo) both as a player in general and for our team in the future. Mikal is an upgrade over Brooks, but with Brooks/Smith/Eason all filling in the same role Mikal does we'd be giving up upside to upgrade a position that's filled now and in the future as we grow as a team together.

I wasnt challenging the concept and dont disagree with it entirely. I just think saying they'd rather have Bridges than Anthony Edwards is so... uhm... interesting.

DrNuegebauer likes this.
  17. xaos

xaos Member

Ah sorry didn't realize my response was so long lol

18. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

**In your opinion**

the ?10 pick? and an inefficient, no defence, scorer (who will get the max), vs a 2way guy who is a proven commodity.

But the point wouldn't be all about featuring Bridges. It is about making space to feature Jabari/ Cam/ Amen/ Tari (along with Alpy!!)

What are we hoping to get with the 10 pick? A backup big? A 3nD ''potential" guy who gets no minutes next year anyway? It's worth a thought (imho).

19. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

That's key - not to have someone getting in the way of the development of the guys who look like they have great potential.
    I see Bridges as a 2-way 2-guard who is more suited to the 3 role, but facilitates the development of Whitmore and Amen as much as Alpy and Jabari. Someone who doesn't need touches to succeed.

I think the point is moot - I doubt BKN would trade him for Green + their 2024 pick alone.

xaos likes this.