1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston offered "several" Nets picks to Brooklyn for Mikal Bridges

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HealthyHamstring, Jan 31, 2024.

1. MystikArkitect

I see Mikal Bridges is at the "there is no improvement" part of his Nets timeline.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Jalen Green will be a significantly better player than the best version of Bridges by the time Green is 24 and we all will be laughing at this trade proposal

3. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Offering all those picks for Bridges has always been ridiculous, even without Jalen Green. I really hope we didn't do that.

I would have maybe done Green and ONE pick/swap.

4. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

If this trade was ever truly on the table, then the Nets saved us from ourselves. Just like when Victor Oladipo saved us from ourselves as well.

Sometimes it’s better to be lucky than good, but it’d sure be better to be both

5. CXbby

CXbby Member

If we keep needing someone to save us from ourselves, what does that say about ourselves?

6. TriumVirate

TriumVirate Member

Sheesh that's terrible. Yeah I rather take a chance on Jalen and keep our assets

jcmoon and vince like this.
  7. TriumVirate

TriumVirate Member

It's better to be lucky than good ;)

roslolian likes this.
  8. roslolian

roslolian Member

Rockets have always been lucky under Stone. We got Jalen due to a lucky dice roll, and then Oladipo turned down the extension. Harden talked about wanting to be the scoring leader during his interview with Ime etc

If we get two picks in this year's draft I'm ready to call Stone the luck god.

9. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

JC! Do you guys really beliieve that we offered all that for Bridges? The Nets were just doing Nets things.

withmustard likes this.
  10. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I remember listeing to Zac Lowe - he brought it up a couple of times in the context of Jalen Green, but I don't think he was really citing any original reporting or hunches - mostly just referencing the same tweets. Hard to tell in the context of these podcasting what's reporting and what's indepenently sourced and what's not.

11. Ancient Moabite

The Nets probably wanted Amen/Cam or Bari/Green and all the picks knowing the Rockets would turn it down so they could go back to Bridges and say, ''see how much we value you'', soothing the athletes ego works every time

The flip side is since this may have been the weakest, or one of the weakest trade deadlines ever, so this story got leaked to give the media/fanatics something to bark about

Either way I always felt Stone was keeping Green and the rest for at least until their rookie deals expire

Unless a said ''superstar'' becomes avail, which would change that for all on rookie deals

Corrosion likes this.
  12. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

I would hesitate to respond to any "original thinking" from someone whose expertise is cutting and pasting everyone else's thoughts. But to a person like that, confidently proclaiming that we should fire the GM due to unsourced rumors might seem completely appropriate.

Did we offer a package for Bridges? Probably. Was it completely unprotected return of every asset we own? Probably not.

We will never know where in the middle it landed - even "offered back the picks" could be technically true if the reality is "offered back the picks with lottery protections". But to someone for whom plagiarism is the height of value creation, that is a nuance too far.

Corrosion likes this.
  13. MystikArkitect

Exactly. Bridges didn't just suddenly forget to play basketball. Dude was probably promised to be dealt at the deadline and didn't get dealt and now he's tanking his value. If I had to guess, there was a Rockets trade on the table but nowhere near what the Nets are parroting. Now they're ****ed. This is basically him saying "trade me this offseason or I'll ensure the Rockets get a Top 6 pick next year".

Issue is, do we even want Bridges at this point. Let's say the Nets pick falls in the Top 4. That's Cody Williams/Risacher/Topic range. The Rockets are not a Mikal Bridges away from Championship Contention. We are a star or superstar away from that depending on where people think Sengun ultimately falls. If Tari/Sengun never get injured, this is a play-in team. And the youth turning into stars is what's going to make us contenders. Not Mikal Bridges.

Personally at this point...I roll with Green again next year and sign a real backup to him in the offseason and take whoever's left of Sheppard/Williams/Rissacher/Walters in the draft depending on where the pick falls.

Shark44, Corrosion and Plowman like this.
  14. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

No he won't. Bridges was all defensive team and he has a career 60% TS.

That said I doubt the Rockets offered that much for him.

apollo33 and Plowman like this.
  15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Never in a million years. Bridges plays defense, and can shoot the 3ball accurately.

DD

Y2JT and Plowman like this.
  16. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

He probably will. There are a lot of players that never made all defensive teams and don't have career 60% ts that are better than Bridges. If Bridges joined at 19 and was the center of defensive attention immediately and was asked to self create the vast majority of his shots from that age, his career ts% would be significantly below 60%.

17. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

one could almost say that....

Losing is taking a toll on Brooklyn's Bridges

18. vince

vince Member

It says that the Rockets current decision makers are in over their heads. Love him or hate him, Morey always had a plan, and he was always proactive, even if the waters were calm - he made stuff happen by turning over every rock for a possible improvement for the team.

slothy420 and ico4498 like this.
  19. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Yea, he’s in a slump for a few weeks. Jalen has been in a slump for 3 years.

robbie380 and apollo33 like this.
  20. topfive

topfive CF OG

Now I see what happened. Stone panicked when he realized someone was trying to sell him a Brooklyn Bridges.

robbie380 likes this.