1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston offered "several" Nets picks to Brooklyn for Mikal Bridges

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HealthyHamstring, Jan 31, 2024.

1. roslolian

roslolian Member

Oh wow 5 more years....so when Sengun is 26 and ready to win a chip we saddle him with washed 32 yr old Bridges? You blow all your load for a dude who is gonna be washed when it's time to win rings that Def a great plan. For failure. What age did Lebron win a ring? What about MJ? When the time to win is there that's when Sengun needs help not next year.

Next year Sengun will be 22 yrs old. When the last time the teams best player won a ring when he was 22 yrs old? We Def aren't winning a ring next year and after next year Bridges contract is up, he a free agent and you gave up multi picks for a 1 yr rental.

Rox are winning just fine without Bridges. They aren't winning a ring with or without Bridges.

If Rox wanna bring in guys to win games in the short term Im ok with that as long as they dot cost a lot like the Adams trade, that's a great trade. But blowing the load for Bridges is Def not the play.

Why are equating Bridges with not sucking? Nets are 19-28 they suck worse than the Rockets with Mr. Bridges.

#381 roslolian, Feb 2, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2024
    anthony59237, saleem and Jontro like this.
  2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The question is, why are you assuming it's going to take that long? Do we really punt the next 5 seasons?

Also, Bridges is under contract till he's 29.....it's not a commitment till he's 40.

Just a weird take really.

jim1961 and BigggReddd like this.
  3. roslolian

roslolian Member

The question is can you tell me who won a ring when their best player is 22 yrs old?

There's a thing called precedent. Look it up so you know why it takes that long.

The weird take is you expecting Sengun to be better than MJ and LeBron.

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

So you punt the next 5 years then. Gotcha.

5. roslolian

roslolian Member

Is Bridges the only good player in the NBa? Why is the choice get him or tank for 5 yrs? Lol first it's only Bridges or Green now it's either Bridges or tank. Brother there are 300 players in the NBa.

Bridges isn't even that good Nets 19-28 with Mr Bridges.

anthony59237 and saleem like this.
  6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He's a good 2 way player that would make the Rockets A LOT better.....just saying "No, don't get him, the Rockets don't need to think about winning for 5 years because a lot of their players are young" is an interesting take though.

You're the one saying nothing matters for the next half decade, not me.

7. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I've lobbied against Bridges, and agree that he's the third best player on a title team. But, Mikal's an ironman with a sweet contract. And he DOES fit. It's actually a tough call for me. My only concern, and it's a big one is paying him the large contract. We WOULD have him for two years after this, and he certainly would be easy to move should another situation arise. The more I think about it, converting JG into a hard asset, a known commodity, that will lockdown the 3 at a high level isn't such a bad move at all. (again, a polished iron man likely to stay healthy) I'm definitely not paying more than JG & a late first though. I'd also be okay with BKN trading him to a contender for a bunch of late firsts.

Bobbythegreat and roslolian like this.
  8. roslolian

roslolian Member

If he is so good why the Nets 19-28?

I never said Rox don't need to think about winning I said don't get old guys who will be washed when Sengun is ready to contend. That's not exactly Rocket science.

You are the one saying you don't care if Sengun plays with bad players when it's time for him to win you just want meaningless wins now and next year even if you know it won't result in anything.

9. roslolian

roslolian Member

Nets won't trade Mikal for Green and a late first. The conversation starts with Green and all the Nets picks and swaps.

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Crazy enough, basketball is a team sport, who knew?

11. roslolian

roslolian Member

So why you think not getting him means the Rox tank for the next 5 yrs? Basketball is a team sport, who knew?

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I don't....that was your argument....that the Rockets shouldn't get players that make them better because nothing matters for another 5+ years.

I was saying the Rockets should attempt to get better now and start winning as soon as possible. Saying "we don't want player X because they are 27" is absurd as far as I'm concerned.

13. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't believe we offered anything remotely close to that. And if we did, there's no world in which BKN wouldn't accept.

MadMax94$ and tycoonchip like this.
  14. roslolian

roslolian Member

Did you read the article?

15. roslolian

roslolian Member

So saying I don't want a 27 yr old is the same as saying the Rox shouldn't get players that make them better? Lol hasn't it occurred to you that you can get young players who can also make the Rockets better? Players like Cam Whitmore who are both good now and will be even better 5 yrs from now instead of washed AF?

Even disregarding your JG takes you are a pretty bad and toxic poster here. Just twist words and make up stuff to make it look like you have a point.

#395 roslolian, Feb 2, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2024
  16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

You are the one saying that the Rockets won't be in a position to win anything until current 27 year old players are "washed", which means you don't think they have a chance to win in the next 5+ seasons and so they shouldn't even try to get better.

Like I said, it's weird.

It's especially weird given that picking up vets is the ONLY reason the Rockets are winning any games at all right now.

17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

How old was Hakeem when he won his first title?

32 is not washed up.

DD

18. Nook

Nook Member

Unless Amen Thompson really stops improving, he will be the point guard.

19. roslolian

roslolian Member

Rox were top 4 seed at one point before the injuries hit. Rather than making panic trades I think they just need to get everyone healthy.

The Adams trade is really positive though hopefully Stone isn't prioritizing playoff appearances over rebuilding the team.

anthony59237 likes this.
  20. roslolian

roslolian Member

Didn't Hakeem win 2 rings then get washed? And Bridges is no Hakeem lol.

Hakeem is one of the best centers ever and only has 2 rings to show for it. That's just a waste of his talent. If he wasn't a generational talent he'd have zero rings. If anything Hakeem proves that timing is important otherwise he' have nothing if he wasn't so good.

CircaSurvive likes this.